Maptrix Demo / On sale soon.

Community Forums/Showcase/Maptrix Demo / On sale soon.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#1]
Here's a demo of Maptrix, a 2d tile layer based map editor with built in 2d lightmapper.

Click here to download.(2.9mb)

The full version can save projects(Including all tilesets) and export maps.
The exported maps can be loaded directly via a supplied 2d map engine.

The map engine/editor supports real time scaling.

Controls are,

Lmb paste active tool.
Rmb context menu to add lights and pivots. Right click where you want the light or pivot and click on the requried menu item.

Mouse wheel scales the map bigger or smaller.
Holdin the third mouse button and move to scroll the map or tileset viewer.
Everything else is gui driven.

Will be going on sale shortly for the low price of 15 Pounds.
No part of the editor or map engine requires the max gui to run.

daaan(Posted 2005) [#2]
Looks nice!

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#3]
Not sure what I'm doing wrong with the demo but lots of crashes using 'scan bmp', 'render lights' etc.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#4]
it crashes a hell of a lot, cant do anything

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#5]
Same.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#6]
Could you be more specific?

I forgot to mention that this uses dot3 normal map lightmapping, so each tile when using scantile map needs a normal map image.

To do this just create a normal map(Using something like de) and give it the same name with a NM prefix and saved in the bmp format. i.e metaltiles.jpg becomes NMmetaltiles.jpg.

i've fixed it so it works without normal maps, instead using flat shading. i'm not sure where else it could be crashing so it would help if you're specific.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#7]
Hmmm. is it a demo or a betatest?
Anyway press 'scanbmp', select nmtile5... crash
Lights / render , nothing happens.. hit render... crash.
Load 3 tiles, select plot, click to add a tile... crash
I would be interested in this but if this IS a demo then aren't you supposed to be trying to sell it to me?
Doesn't that mean some instructions for use and a bit more error recovery?
winxp sp2, 2700+, 9800Pro, 1G RAM

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#8]
Dont work at all for me.
I just see some windows flashing, then i think the app are exiting.. no errors, no nothing

Warren(Posted 2005) [#9]
This is a great launch! Congrats!

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#10]
It's not a launch, it's a demo. Must we dance this eternal dance everytime I release something?

TonyG, load 3 tiles, select plot one, did you open a new map first?

I can't upload the new version till monday as my broadband is off till then, but it should be a lot more stable.
To answer the question, it's a beta test more than a launch. Reason i've not submitted it to any news sites or the front page or even shareit yet.

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#11]
I found it interesting, although I didn't like the effect of the normal map lightning too much. Maybe is specific to the tiles provided and will look better with other ones... dunno
Some questions:

· Are you planning on popping up error windows or something or app exit will be the normal behaviour when doing something 'illegal'...?
...Like trying to draw when no map is loaded/created, for example. Or loading unadequate tiles, etc.

· Whenever I do a second lightmap it crashes. Is this expected?

· Could you provide a demo of the map engine with some map running on it to see how fast it goes, the final result etc? just the map engine in a little map viewer or something like that

I could be using your map editor/engine if proven good enough ;) keep up the good work

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#12]
Second lightmap crashing is not a bug just need to throw up a window saying you can't render the same map twice. It now lets you flick between normal and lightmapped map with a switch button.

As for a demo, yep, I'm doing a game could Pocket Ninja that uses the map engine/editor for levels.
It's GLSL only though as it uses the advanced lighting and shading option that lets images being lit and shadowed in real time on the map.
The engine it's self won't require glsl just that feature though.

saoudi(Posted 2005) [#13]
is this what became of 360 Game Creator, and Vivid 2D?? I'll wait for the demo...

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#14]
this looks promising but I would squash many more of the bugs and usability issues before releasing it for sale (or even a DEMO)

also a demo of something created with this would be a nice reference.

(not allowing folks to load files is not a good idea, export/save i understand)