Nebulae prototype demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Nebulae prototype demo

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have been working on this on and off since (more than) a few months ago. Now it is at prototype stage which means i'd like to know; Is it any fun at this stage of development?

Mostly tell me if the keyboard controls are too complex and hard?

edit: The final version of Nebulae will contain at least 10 different features, some will require use of logic to be cleared and many will be moving, transforming, dynamic objects, so you don't need to tell me it will be more fun with that addition, i know!

Any comments are welcome.

It is a 2D in 3D action/puzzle game. You will find a lot of info & instructions within the program itself, so do read it.

Be mindful: Theres a small bug that occurs rarely which will cause your target to not move horizontally and if you try move the source a black screen appears. Didn't have the time to track it down now, but it's rare anyway. I must be dividing something by 0, has to do with mouse movement.
Err... actually theres a few other small bugs but you'll live with them, maybe you won't even notice them! Still, report what you find.

Here are small screenshots:

Bigger (and more) screenshots and more information on this page:
http://johnmanyverse.net/blitz/nebulaeproto.htm

Downloads:
NebulaePrototype.RAR (5.73 MB)
NebulaePrototype.ZIP (6.31 MB)

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#2]
Looks good and sounds interesting!

.RAR dissers: take note of the file sizes there.

Downloading now... bandwidth is being hogged, so it will be 5 minutes.

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#3]
It's indeed very original, but I find it at the same time too simple and too complex. Simple because you just have to move and shoot and your only 'enemy' is time. It's like clearing the screen with the mouse in a limited ammount of time. And complex because, well, using all the keyboard and having to remember which colour is each key...
I don't know, maybe it's just not my type of game - could be. I'd make the controls way more simple and add something that makes it more... active? moving atoms, comets that may hit you or the particles moving them away, some kind of radiation that changes the color of the particles, turbulences... I don't know, some things that makes it more challenging than standing there and passing the mouse over. However as it's only a prototype maybe you already thought of these - but I can't find it fun enough without them.

And well, the minimap idea is good and very useful, I like the movement... effects are not bad. In those aspects I don't have a complaint ;)

I hope not to offend you with my comments. English is not my first language and sometimes I sound rude when I'm not pretending to. It tries to be a constructive opinion.

Keep up the good work!

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#4]
It's ok, i am expecting this kind of comment. But not so many, because i thought people will read the outro stuff. There it says:

The final version of Nebulae will contain:
-At least 10 different features, some will require use of logic to be cleared and many will be moving, transforming, dynamic objects.

Seems like everyone comments on this, i should make it more clear i am testing the CONCEPT here, such as if the keyboard commands are too complex, etc.

:)

Thanks

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#5]
Oh, sorry then

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#6]
Well, now I'm curious;
Can you give a little hint of what one of these features may be? :)

On your end screen (I think the end screen...) in the demo, you have text overlapping other text. You may be able to use Chr(10) for a line break character.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#7]
Other features will be:

Feature 2: Amoebas
Deforming , colour chaning, moving structures that react to attack.

Feature 3: Black cubes
They're black at first, you shoot them and when you hit them with the right colour they start to brighten up, so you have to use brighter colours.

Feature 4: Eels
Moving Eels composed of a number of circles. They change colours in predictable ways and will try and eat other features so you need to kill em quick.

Feature 5: Sprayers
Rotating objects that spray particles of different colours. Once you hit the spray body a few times it disappears, you get points.

Feature 6: Fences
You cant move through these fences until you disable them. You have to hit multiple points with right colours (in little time) to disable the fence. Some come back on, some disappear forever

Feature 7: Codebox
You have to hit this box with particles of certain colour in certain order from certain angle :)

Feature 8: Bannana
it starts as one colour, as you hit it with the right colours it progresses thru the spectre, once it should reach where it was originally, it disappears

Feature 9: Source barrier
simple barriers that appear to have some 'noise' like broken tv, some of which is transparent sometimes. The player cant go thru them. They exist from point to point, no visible 'poles' to hold it up.

Feature 10: Particle barrier
Your particles cant go thru these.

I beleive that the combination of all these features will cause the player to think about the current situation and what to do first. Ie, an Eel is coming around and it will eat the cubes, should he disable the fence to get through for more points, kill the eel, or clear the cubes? There are many combinations i cant list them all now.

Overlapping text? But how? Doesnt matter.

Right now i'm considering my options on wether i should continue Nebulae or start making some 3d model packs for sale. The latter option is prevailing in me at the moment.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#8]
Lenn, this is looking Fantastic now! Good that you've kept working on it for sure :)

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#9]
Thanks cygnus.

Dont think i'll continue it though. I've learned more valuable skills by now and i think i will use them. I could finish it if the opportunity cost wasn't there, i have proved to myself what i wanted. But i wont release the code for this.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#10]
It does look superb. Since you've improved, perhaps you could write as chart-topping space shooter with lots of action and colours. I love those!

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#11]
Space shooter with lots of action and colours sounds like "just another" one of those games. I don't like that competition!

For the art that would be needed for this arcade game, i could go for something bigger with the same amount of art. At least to my standards.

I found out making action games is twice as challenging as making turnbased and "stationary" stuff with events that don't depend on MilliSecs(). And i enjoy that kind of coding much more, so it will be what i'm going for.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#12]
I'm doing a space shooter with lots of action and colors ... it was called Nebula Wars ... I posted it a few weeks ago. I've since changed the name ...

When I first saw this I was like WTF!!!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#13]
hehe, Yeah i know.

I've been speaking with Lenn for quite some time however and this project is quite a few months old now. Just a coinsidence. :)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#14]
Yeah, it happens quite often really. Similar stimuli and all that. I was going to make Oust a more cartoony style game when it was still called King of the Mountain ... and I was going to turn it into King of the Ant Hill ... someone else was already working on a title with that name ... not based exactly on the same principal ... but still.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#15]
King of the Ant Hill? man, that reminds me of a cartoon I used to watch, King of the Hill. great stuff! Anyway this is off topic. :P I'd like to see some more Oust though.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#16]
Well you can call it Nebula Wars because i'm probably never going to finish this Nebulae game.