SS Great Britain sails again!

Community Forums/Showcase/SS Great Britain sails again!

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#1]
Well, the Navigation Simulator does anyway!

Remember I developed a historical ship simulation for the SS Great Britain museum in Bristol earlier this year? Well it was stolen! Lock, stock and barrel... er actually computer, projector and plasma! (and my software of course).

BUT now I can reveal that all is well again (and security having been improved greatly), the simulation was re-installed this week.

So, if you are in Bristol any time, please pop in and have a go! :) (but don't nick it okay!).

IPete2.

Mark Judd(Posted 2005) [#2]
What a git - sorry to hear that.

I've just done a search on E-Bay and interestingly there's an SS Great Britain simulator for sale in the Bristol area..... ...if only.

How big is (was) the plasma btw ?

Mark

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#3]
lol -

The plasma was 42" I think - it was running a video, my software was projected onto a large 2.5 metre screen.

They left the screen - Doh!

IPete2.

Mark Judd(Posted 2005) [#4]
Only reason i ask is that I have trouble with ambient light falling onto the projection screen with my simulator (see http://www.simsail.co.uk ).

Thought maybe you were using a big (read really big) plasma for the sim and wondered how you got on with it.

If i'm ever around that part of the world i'll be sure to look the ship sim out.

cheers,

Mark

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#5]
Mark,

You are so right about the ambient light falling onto the screen - it really makes it difficult to see.

The projector is good, but they need to drop a canvas down at the side of the screen to help keep external sources of light of it. I also have asked that they reposition the projector so it is directly above the exhibit projecting directly onto the screen.

I have only ever dreamt about the very ultra large plasmas - 104 inches or something aren't they? I saw one on the Internet once - lol.

IPete2.

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#6]
I've done quite a bit with projectors over the years, and it really doesn't matter how much you spend on the projects, i've had a £600 projector showing a clearer image than a £20,000 projector. It's simple - either it's backlit, or it isn't, and that's all there is too it.

If you've room for a behind-wall projection system then any old heap of junk will do and it'll look better than any monitor you can lay your hands on.

If you've not got room, either make room or don't use a projector. Harsh, but very true.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#7]
Blimey - I've heard of sofware piracy but not when they take the hardware as well ! Good to know the SS Great Britain sails the seas once again.