old guy new to max.

Archives Forums/General Discussion/old guy new to max.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#1]
sorta...

I got Max on release, but due to work, I havtn touched it in any real way yet, I started the wee open source space invaders game to get into the language but since then iv done nothing in terms of coding at all.

So I was wondering, what with all of the updates and all of the syntax changes and command structure changes, has all of the demo codes been updated also ?

either way, what would you guys recomed i do when I do finally have the time to get back into code, as a first step to refreshing my memory.

Garion(Posted 2005) [#2]
There are demos that come with Max, I too am old and noo to it, having bought it with no time to play.

If I have misunderstood let me know :)

Cheers

garion

Avon(Posted 2005) [#3]
Uh, isn't this still the wrong forum? I would have thought "BlitzMax Programming" or "BlitzMax Beginners" would have been more suited.

[EDIT] Oh fine... the post about being in the wrong forum was deleted - so I look like an idiot. lol

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#4]
well 29 aint old. but ..

What I was meaning is that since i bought max, I havnt really touched it, and there have been a few updates for it which iv been getting as they come out.

the problem i face is that the structure and code seems to have changed a bit and I was wondering what I should do , what code I should refresh on to get back into the swing of things.

@ Avon, maby your right but as the language is not important to the process's involved in getting back into coding its not really important where its posted.

Just looking for some good , back to basic's refresher course type code in max. if you follow my meaning.

Avon(Posted 2005) [#5]
I don't know why I bothered to post about this being in the wrong forum (boredom, I suspect). To be fair, you may get more people notice the thread in here anyway!

I started to get into BlitzMax myself, then got totally side tracked by Real Life (TM) and other languages, but have recently got back to it and am pretty much in the same boat as you Yavin. Some BlitzMax tips would be useful to me too.

Haramanai(Posted 2005) [#6]
That I can tell is that some of my early codes don't compile anymore and I don't know why.
About the demos in the docs yes... they have been updated and they are almost good referense of the Max's main stracture.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#7]
Yeah I noticed the early stuff i did wont compile either. when it comes time to star coding again, I think i'm just gona approach the language as if its new to me and iv never seen it before.

then just take it from there.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#8]
The BlitzWiki may help you along as well, I've just added the new GC stuff (and referenced it from flushmem).

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#9]
The first thing I do with any new language is write a simple game to learn all the basics, the simpler the better. See my signiature for my BMax effort.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#10]
Spend some time and get to grips with the new event system first. Then recode your space invaders thing using events. Anything else that's changed you'll find out about eventually ;]

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#11]
event system ?

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#12]
Lol yes max v1.12 (at the same time as maxgui) introduced the event module. It's the same sort of thing as B+'s event system, there so that you rely on proper GUI events to do things, rather than using the polling commands, so that your program only uses as much CPU as it actually needs.

I usually find in the course of rejigging polling code to event based code that any idiosyncracies (sp?) that lay anywhere else in the code are usually spotted during the process. =]