Stunt Race Xtreme - multiplayer

Community Forums/Showcase/Stunt Race Xtreme - multiplayer

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#1]
Finally got the game working over a network, and it certainly works with 2 players, and I think it'll work with 4 or more if the PC is beefy enough. Here are a few screenies of the first ever SRX net race -

Here are the cars lined up ready to race, showing the new 3d skybox -

And finally the new front end, which is a virtual garage - as you select the options (the toolbox is the config, the orange car is network setup, the door allows you to exit) the camera zooms around the room, which I'm quite pleased with -

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#2]
Wow!
It's looking beautiful :) demo, when??

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#3]
Looks really nice generally so I'm just going to have to be picky, however, I think being picky is justified here as this game looks like it's got real potential and it would be a shame to let a few details slip through when they can be fixed easily...

So I'm probably being really picky here...

Where you've mirrored the car from one side to the other the tread on the tyres goes in different directions on either side of the car, it's just a simple UV tweak.

The toolbox on the last screen is bright bright blue and totally clean unlike the rest of the scene that's got plenty of dirt and weathering... also... no tools in it.

The skybox looks a bit weird in a few of the screenies, it looks like it's at the wrong angle (or something) not sure, I'd have to see it moving to give a decent comment on it.

And Personally I hate Xtreme, why not include the additional letter E?

Anyway... As I said, I'm just being picky.

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#4]
>>The skybox looks a bit weird in a few of the screenies
Your not accounting for the cars roll Rob, it looks right to me :). Your right on the toolbox and tyre though.

Vorderman: This game is looking great and the new media on display is marvellous. I'm concerned that the multiplayer cannot handle many cars though, on a lap over 20-30 seconds long that could be quite dull because both players might end up staring at an empty track.

Mark Judd(Posted 2005) [#5]
Wow, cannot wait to have a go on this new version - just keeps looking better and better ...

I'm with Rob on the missing 'E' though - I get enough letters dropped when my kids text me.

Would really like to see a ghost car mode for hot lapping.

cheers

Mark

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#6]
This looks "totally wicked" as the little kid on the incredibles says when he sees the dad do amazing stuff.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#7]
Have you got standard keys and mouse working now, as well as the game controller?

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#8]
Where you've mirrored the car from one side to the other the tread on the tyres goes in different directions on either side of the car, it's just a simple UV tweak.

You know, I never spotted that - it's because the same wheel object is used for left and right, and on one side the wheel is rotated 180 degrees so the hub still faces inwards.

The toolbox on the last screen is bright bright blue

Yes, that's the one part of the garage model I haven't mapped yet - rest assured it will soon be mucky and full of tools.

And Personally I hate Xtreme, why not include the additional letter E

I don't know really, I just quite like Xtreme. I'll think about calling it Extreme though...in fact, that does look nicer, perhaps I will change it.

I'm concerned that the multiplayer cannot handle many cars though

I think this is just a limitation of Blitz3D with complex scenes (and more than a few surfaces) and running Tokamak at the same time - on my 1.4 Athlon with a really old Geforce3 I can happily run 2 cars at 60 or 30fps depending upon the graphics settings, and my P4 2.4 with again an older Radeon9800 will run it at 60 all the time, but I can't test more than 2 cars as I've only got 2 PCs so I don't know how it will respond to 3 or 4. I should be able to test 4 player at the New Year so I'll know more then.

Have you got standard keys and mouse working now

I have indeed got the keyboard working - it took some tweaking but I've now got a sort of exponetial steering system to allow fine control in a straight line and more severe control the longer you hold it down. It works quite nicely so those without joypads or wheels should now be able to play. I'm not going to have mouse controls, it just isn't right in a racing game.

Mark Judd(Posted 2005) [#9]
"I'm not going to have mouse controls, it just isn't right in a racing game."

Why ? Surely the analogue input provided by mouse movement is better than the digital switch on / off from a keyboard, certainly it is for steering.

Live for Speed has this system and imho it works really well (i thought it was so good i tried to replicate it my racing game).

Don't write off mouse control please, it's great for playing games that require an analogue input but due to circumstances you can't have a controller plugged in. (Like at work for instance).

cheers

Mark

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#10]
why did you cover up the frametime top right corner ?

OJay(Posted 2005) [#11]
but I can't test more than 2 cars as I've only got 2 PCs so I don't know how it will respond to 3 or 4.

so give us teh demo, and we'll test it for/with you ;-)

i got one question though: how did you manage the brakes in tokamak? since spheres on staticmesh will never stop sliding...this is a well known issue of tokamak.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#12]
*gazing*

Demo for XMas, right, right, right? :D

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#13]

Why did you cover up the frametime top right corner ?

Looks like one of the lights in the garage is obscuring it ... I don't think it would be deliberate.

Looks great Vorderman ... hurry up and let us have a shot!! ;)

Stevie

big10p(Posted 2005) [#14]
You know, I never spotted that - it's because the same wheel object is used for left and right, and on one side the wheel is rotated 180 degrees so the hub still faces inwards.
What??? I pointed this out to you ages ago and you basically told me to stop being so picky. :)

Game is (still) looking great, btw.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#15]
why did you cover up the frametime top right corner ?

Looks like one of the lights in the garage is obscuring it ... I don't think it would be deliberate.

I've turned it off in-game because I believe the TEXT command is very slow in B3D on some graphics cards, and I wanted to see how the game would run with no text to slow it down. You may notice that the "press space to reset" message is also gone. It's still turned on in the garage section though. I might leave it in in-game as an option or possibly hold-a-key-down to show it.

Don't write off mouse control please

It works OK in LFS, so upon reflection I might put it in, as code-wise it's a pretty straight swap for the joypad and wheel controls.

What??? I pointed this out to you ages ago and you basically told me to stop being so picky. :)

Did I? OK, then - Rob Farley, please stop being so picky also :)

how did you manage the brakes in tokamak?

The control mode is pretty complex now, but braking involves varying the angular and directional inertia of the wheels and body dep. upon what the player is doing and how fast the car is going, and also applying a reverse torque to the braking wheels to slow them down. I also use a variable friction system for each wheel to help with this, so I can put the friction right up to bring the wheel to a stop, or down again at speed. As a side-effect it means I can get each wheel to respond independently to the road surface type that it's on, such as tarmac or mud.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#16]
Did I? OK, then - Rob Farley, please stop being so picky also :)
Indeed you did. :)
Proof I'm not going mad

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#17]
What a coinkydink! This rocks some petty huge socks!

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#18]
Say what???

KuRiX(Posted 2005) [#19]
I am happy the networking is going good! What engine do you used at last? in built blitz sockets? raknet? blitzplay? vorderman udp super engine? xD

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#20]
Say what???

I simply meant that It rocked in a big way :)

The coinkydink was just that i'd asked you about the project just a few minutes before the thread appeared. (or after)

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#21]
I used Blitzplay Lite, which seems to work just fine and makes the network setup very easy, but at the moment I am only passing around cars' coords and orientations - currently there is no car-to-car collision, it's basically just a Trackmania-style race with 2 or more non-collidable 'ghost' cars, but this is just network attempt #1 - I aim to try another couple of methods such as faking the collisions using impulses, and possibly full physics for all cars on a single server, then passing control inputs from clients to the server. These will require more PC oomph so I might make the networking mode a user choice - if they have a really good server PC and a fast network, they can have full physics on all cars.

It's possible that I might be able to use a simple Tokamak body to represent the other cars on each machine, but it will involve directly positioning the body each network update and I've no idea how that will react when it hits a full Tokamak jointed vehicle.

Anyway, much experimenting to do, but first I need to get the Track Editor into a useable state and able to place checkpoints and start positions - once that's done the cars will be able to lap and set lap times, as well as respawning where they fell off rather than always respawning at the start position.

Murilo(Posted 2005) [#22]
This is looking awesome! Is this the most anticipated Blitz3D game ever?

Vord - How can I contact you directly?

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#23]
Vorderman, it looks awesome and I hope you'll succeed in implementing good networking.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#24]
The link to DAMAGE_2.zip on your website is dead.

SopiSoft(Posted 2005) [#25]
wow, great stuff!

Genexi2(Posted 2005) [#26]
Looking great as always have!

Be fun to try-out a stress-test with 16 players on that.

EOF(Posted 2005) [#27]
Alert - Bad pun incoming ...
  |
  V
Looks like this is coming along leaps and bounds!

I like the look of the garage screen. No different to a commercial game I'd say. Although I think a 'Network' sign would not go amiss above the bay where the orange car is parked.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#28]
The link to DAMAGE_2.zip on your website is dead.

Yep, that's ancient, I must update it sometime.

a 'Network' sign would not go amiss above the bay where the orange car is parked.

Well, as you move the mouse cursor around the game will indicate what selection area you are over, like this -

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#29]
You say you've implemented normal keys also?
According to your website F1 and F2 switch berween keys and joypad....
No luck here.
After several weeks I still have not run the car.
What's the secret?

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#30]
Ignore the website - it's well out of date. The demo you have is newer and is joypad and wheel only.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#31]
How about making the yellow car move a bit if the mouse goes over it? - You could also brighten the areas up a bit when being selected.

All tiny stuff, but it adds some more detail to the menu... :)

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#32]
I'd love to try this, but I'm not going to buy a joypad or wheel.
What chance of a mod for the cursor keys? (-not to mention an opportunity for you to increase tryouts and potential sales ;-)

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#33]
The game as I have it currently supports joypad/joystick, wheel and keyboard controls (but the demo only has joypad controls) and I might add mouse controls, so you should be OK if and when I finally finish the game.

How about making the yellow car move a bit if the mouse goes over it?

The menu garage is loaded as a single mesh so I can't make bits of it move unfortunately.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#34]
Btw:

I don't know if the second garage is an option item as well?
You could add a half/quarter closed garage door there which might look better.

Give the blue toolbox a tool... :)

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#35]
I don't know if the second garage is an option item as well?
You could add a half/quarter closed garage door there which might look better.

It's going to be the practice option, for a single player to try out the tracks. The big red car in the centre will be the start game option.

I've still no idea if I need to add a single player mode - I suppose some sort of league system same as the original SCR might be good, but it does mean adding some form of AI, which could be tricky.

Wings(Posted 2005) [#36]
No nukes ! No nukes !... (Demostation)
We want demo !

well this is one good peac of blitz.
i wounder if it ever can be multiplayer over internet ?
like then there is 200 ms over internet in delays..
(Like local lan its usaly 1ms delay)

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#37]
any news on this?

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#38]
Damn, been 7 months already?

What t3K said though, would love to get an updated demo of the sorts.

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#39]
Iv downloaded the demo you posted and read the previous threads aswell, this game is damn fine man.

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#40]
Wow, this is an old thread!

Thanks vert much for the compliment Weetbix, someday I'll finally get around to finishing the game I hope.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#41]
Damn, been 7 months already?
Just what I was thinking. Where the hell does the time go?! :/

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#42]
Vorderman:

"I don't know really, I just quite like Xtreme. I'll think about calling it Extreme though...in fact, that does look nicer, perhaps I will change it."

You know it makes sense. ;O)

"I'm not going to have mouse controls, it just isn't right in a racing game."

Quite right too! ;O)

Wish it was nearer to being available as a demo which would allow me to see how it feels with the wheel I have. I mean, spose one bought it, and /only then/ found out the wheel I got don't work out? Sounds like a not fully wonderful situation. Puts one off the idea of buying slightly. I'm still real keen on the look of this thing, even though I'm not completely wild about the stunt bit.

Any more news on it's progress at all?

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#43]
Vorderman:
Now that this thread has been dragged out into the light again, you might as well just finish the game.

You might want to release a new demo too, so that I can play it some more.. :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#44]
@ Bobby Ball: could this be the most anticipated B3D Game ever ?

Couldn't agree more with the sentiment... looks like you'll have too finish it and just watch the Moola roll in !

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#45]
I like the detail in your environment textures - the sense of granularity rather than a texture that gets all blurred out. It looks good. One question ... what happens when you go in the water?

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#46]
what happens when you go in the water?

Currently not much - the car just gets reset on the crane above the track. I need to create some form of splash effect and probably have the car float for a couple of seconds as punishment for crashing, just need to find the time to do it.