Tommy Tronic bits

Community Forums/Showcase/Tommy Tronic bits

Hujiklo(Posted 2005) [#1]
Thought I'd just post an update before somebody asks ' what ever happened to that dreamer who was making that platformer? '

No new demo - after re-coding lots of the main game following the comments on that first demo I had to get serious and make a list of things to make for the game. Seemed small enough in my head but the truth is it's a stack of work and a whole mountain of man hours - but I've stuck to it and am over the crest of the workload now thank goodness.

Here's a shot of a few of the characters that have been whittled down and will make it into the final game - they're all boned and animated and literally just need dropping into the game with a few extra AI tweaks and code adding.

My coding fingers are so dammed itchy, but I really have to hold off until all the parts are done - I hate jumping from programming to art/animating, it really messes my head up.

Still, it will make for a much better and more interesting demo next release....game speed is much better than before too.

sampyxis(Posted 2005) [#2]
Great looking characters!

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#3]
look forward to the next demo.

kragoth74(Posted 2005) [#4]
Nice... Waiting for the demo ;-)

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#5]
Characters look really nice. Any chance you could show some more shots of them with wireframes for us wanabee modelers?

Jason.

Hujiklo(Posted 2005) [#6]
Don't anybody hold their breath - I'm a trembling under the workload...but it will get finished I promise.

There's a wire for you QuickSilva:

daaan(Posted 2005) [#7]
I would pay money for a model pack just like those!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#8]
Glad you kept working on this and the models are looking better than ever.

btw Have you got any tips for anybody new to modelling?

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#9]
Thanks for the wireframes :) Agreed some tips would be nice :) How do you approach modelling? What tools are you using for modelling\texturing?

Jason.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#10]
My younger brother plays the old Tommy demo (the only one level) as much as Super Tux which is a complete game. He loves it. You have a winner game Huji.

But killing "evil tomatos and carrots" ? Dont you think its already hard enough to get kids to eat veggies? lol

Excelent looking characters.

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#11]
The characters are very much like Banjo Kazooie on the N64 which is no bad thing as that was a great game.

Jason.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#12]
I missed the first demo.

Any chance of making a new one for xmas? ;)

big10p(Posted 2005) [#13]
Cool characters, but what's the green thing next to the evil carrot? An apple?

Hujiklo(Posted 2005) [#14]
He he - big10p I thought old greeny might be hard to figure out! It's a crazy sprout, but you can't quite make it out clearly from that picture.

I could do a Christmas demo but I'd just be wasting time, and unfortunately my time is used up all to quickly with work and family, so more or less every spare minute is spent trying to make progress with this game in my spare time. So sorry :(

Lenn - you make me feel bad picturing your poor little brother wearing out that empty, basic Tommy Tronic demo!
I wish I could go faster for him.

As for tips on modelling? Um - where to start? You'd have to ask me something a bit less generic. I'd say a good place to start doing characters like I'm doing is to use primitive objects as starting blocks to build up a figure with, don't join anything, just colour spheres, cylinders and what have you as you'd expect the character to be and then move, rotate and scale all your bits until you've got a good balance and proportion. You can then use your example as reference or simply begin to modify the parts a piece at a time until you've made yourself a character...and only texture where it's really needed. Use basic bold colour materials for non-important parts. Only put the detail where you want to draw attention to the character, otherwise you'll quickly begin to lose the style and just end up with another well done, nicely detailed but typically unfocused character. At least this is relevant for the style I'm going for any how - treading a thin line between very simple cartoon and caricture.

Probably not too much help but it's the best I can do off the top of my head.