Mouse Flight Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Mouse Flight Demo

Chroma(Posted 2005) [#1]
If you could, give this a download and let me know what you think of this type of flight system. I'm seriously thinking of changing the whole direction of AW46 to something I can actually handle. Creating 3d @#!*pits for 8 different planes is stretching myself a bit too thin.

Click HERE for the download.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#2]
It feels pretty good...
The mouse needs to snap to the middle or something, becuase when it goes off screen and won't go any further it's a pain. (Barrel rolls are fun, even though they would result in my death).

The turning gets all boggled up when flying straight up or down.

I'm thinking that flying at the moment is a bit too easy though... Perhaps it could be made less painless to control, somehow? A bit of air turbulence and such may do it good. In fact, the smoothness that this controller adds makes this a perfect place to start doing some realistic turbulent weather :D

Nice looking airplane, too!

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#3]
Not bad!

There are some odd things though, like going straight down results by the plane getting stuck in the floor, rotating like crazy around it axis and showing two ghosted copies of the plane at the same time.

Also, with the plane being as far ahead of the camera, it can be very hard to see what exactly your shooting at when you're not moving straight ahead.

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#4]
I like it ! only problem is what they say, can't try to do loopings because going straight up or down makes the plane go crazy.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#5]
yup... tried a loop and the plane went into a wild rotation around the z axis...

hey... next demo could ya try

1- selectable view positions... chase, in @#!*pit
2- reversable up/down mouse controls... i'd like to see if moving the mouse toward the player pilot feels more intutitve... in a real plane the yoke is brought to you in order to give up elevator input...

overall this seems good so far...

--Mike

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#6]
Nice control system BUT it suffers from serious Gimbal Lock - I imagine you are using Euler angles for rotation. To avoid this use quaternions.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#7]
Another problem could be that you cant see the crosshair if you are dive bombing a tank or any target. Which means you wont see where the bullets hit. Try change viewport slightly above the plane, or make some sort of onscreen target symbols.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#8]
Id suggest that the bullets track closer to the reticle.

the system your using is a lot like Crimson Skys. you just need to tighten it up a bit.