Gunstyle - Action-Shooter with Multiplayer

Community Forums/Showcase/Gunstyle - Action-Shooter with Multiplayer

Rck(Posted 2005) [#1]
Gunstyle
http://gunstyle.n-dream.net
http://gunstyle.n-dream.net/forums

A fast-paced, skill-based 2-D action multiplayer shooter. This game strives for the grass roots of what makes online 'frag fests' fun. This game was developed with the two types of gamers in mind, the 'casual' and 'competitive' gamer. Gunstyle normal public servers would tend to suit the casual gamer looking for a quick fun fix of some online shooting, while at the same time Gunstyle supports tournament modes and stat-tracking for the more competitive-driven gamer. Come join in the fun!

Get Gunstyle [80 MB]:

MIRROR #1 - Provided by N-dream.net
MIRROR #2 - Provided by N-dream.net
MIRROR #3 - Provided by FilePlanet.com
[a http://files.filefront.com/Gunstyle_Installer/;4377621;;/fileinfo.html]MIRROR #4[/a] - Provided by FileFront.com

Gunstyle Features:

* intense online multiplayer action
* Deathmatch and Capture the Flag game modes
* Maps ranging from small arenas to large terrain locales
* Record your playing while online with demos
* Server browser for easy game-finding, including a buddy list
* Fast, intuitive, skill-based gameplay
* output demos to movies to replay those exciting moments
* Play with a mixture of human and AI opponents online or practice offline with AI bots
* Auto-slo mo increases those intense clutch moments
* Run, jump, wall jump, slide, and shoot your way through 8 diverse maps [with more to come]
* Automatically download new maps in-game without having to hassle with minimizing the game or searching any website
* Tournament mode for more organized play
* Easy-to-use server GUI for dedicated server hosting that minimizes to tray for minimal distraction.

In-game screenshot

- Join #GunStyle in irc.dynamix.com to meet up with current players and the dev team!
- Register on the Gunstyle Forums to give feedback and show support!

Minimum System Requirements:
- 900 Mhz CPU
- Direct X 7 compatible video card
- 256 MB of available system Memory
- 64 MB Direct X compatible Video card

Suggested System Requirements:
- 2.0+ GHz CPU
- Geforce 4 level or higher video card.
- 512 available system Memory
- 128 MB video card RAM

On a sidenote:
- Many thanks to the testers who have helped throughout the one year development cycle for Gunstyle. Your input and bitching were extremely helpful in making sure the game keep true to its goal, to be fun. Thanks to Karim aka 'nurp', Luke aka 'Shivan', Matt aka '10percenter', Drew, Steve aka 'aMnesiac', and anyone else that provided input during alpha/beta testing.

-Enjoy ;D (Yes, made with BlitzPlus)

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#2]
The screenie reminds me of an online game I used to play and I think was very similar. I'm dying to get home and try yours - I love that genre :)

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#3]
Rck,

Wow! Nice looking game dude - I may give this a try a little later today - looks great fun.

IPete2.

Rck(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks, with enough people, we could get consistently full servers online.

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#5]
me want to play online.....
Rck: This game rocks.

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#6]
needs 64mb of video ram why? While my onboard GPU gently weeps....

Rck(Posted 2005) [#7]
3D games have been stretching textures to crap until recently.

There is intense 2D art = no compression or stretching

You need to have some memory, however you can turn off background, lower bit depth, etc. to increase performance.

Rck(Posted 2005) [#8]
We will probably be playing tonight (Nov. 21) around 9 or 10 Eastern.

Rck(Posted 2005) [#9]
Again, there will most likely be people playing starting around 8 Eastern each night. We have seen about a hundred players trying it out with us and have had a few hundred downloaders.

Geehawk(Posted 2005) [#10]
Now granted my system only meets your minimums, and fails to do that in the CPU stakes (only 700mhz)
I find it incredible what your recommended specs are.

I downloaded anyway and ran. Took forever to get going, might be just my CPU, but what is it doing for all that time ??

Once going everything seemed to run fine as far as I could tell. But given its just an, admittedly rather pretty, 2D game why the need for such a high spec system???

Also in the menu where you set up game options it struck me a s a bit of a mixed bag. Sliders for some numerical settings, text input for others. Oh and it took lots of hits of the start Game button before I realised I'd not picked a landscape/level. Perhaps a msg stating why its refusing to start would be nice.

Once playing, as I say everything seemed fine even on my below spec PC, but theres no way I could get used to all those controls.

Not something that appealed to me as it all seemed a bit random, although again that could just be me not getting on with the controls.

Don't think I'll be playing it again as I can't wait that long for something to load, just for a quick blast.
And I'll not be upgrading my PC just for a 2D shooter.

Rck(Posted 2005) [#11]
Its for people with competitive systems pulling away from 3D games to try out another style. The level of graphics is something that hasn't been done before, therefore requires more memory. The requirements are what we've tested on and found good performance. Nevertheless, we found a guy with 32 MB onboard vid mem who could run fine.

As for the controls, this isnt another one of those marble games or board games. This takes the kind of attention required with Quake, Tribes, etc. rather than just Mario.

Yesterday I'd say there were many interested players from one gaming community; taking part in multiplayer is important.

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#12]
Your website doesn't work for me... something wrong with it. Doesn't work with opera or IE....

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#13]
If somebody could run it with 32mb, why does it not even let me start the game?
Still, there's absolutely no reason why what I can see in that screenshot should take 64mb.

boomboommax(Posted 2005) [#14]
any system that can play worm/worms 2 shouldnt have a problem with it if it was coded correctly, seems way over specced its all been done before and with less reqs (not to say its a bad game, looks pretty nice!)

Rck(Posted 2005) [#15]
Try using Flash 8 for the website, we will add HTML soon.

We will be allowing users with any level of onboard videomem to play (as well as some other changes) in a soon-to-be-released patch (couple weeks, seeing the vacation present).

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#16]
80MB download! - You guys ever heard of compression?

This is a nice game (yeah I did download it), specs are way to high, ran like a dog on this system (which is a game eater). A poor experience for me, I look forward to an optimised version..... AND please put an uninstall link somewhere - I hate it when I have to control panel to remove something!

Rck(Posted 2005) [#17]
Ok, call out the 80 MB download. But then please remember these are virtually paintings moving on screen, not some 128x128 stretched-to-crap texture over the entire terrain. Post sys specs to help us determine what it could be (try 16-bit color and lower particle detail). We would be interested in making uninstall work through icons, post if you have quick ideas on software/other for that.

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#18]
Running too slow for me, I couldn't play properly... this game seems to be only enjoyable at a very smooth frame rate :(

At first I thought it wasn't even going to run due to the "1 Ghz needed" pop-up.

Well, it was more like Soldat than the other game I was thinking about, but still, I liked a lot the movement, and skiing like in Tribes! few weapons and chars but I guess you will be adding more. Great work! Pity of high requirements! :/

kragoth74(Posted 2005) [#19]
Looks like UT 2004 in 2D... ;-) Runs smoothly on my PC, but I agree the specs are too high for this kind of game.

However it's a very polished game, and it's interesting to see what can be done with BlitzPlus.

Rck(Posted 2005) [#20]
Yes, lotsa people I've talked with say "...Soldat"; however I think that is sorta like saying Half Life 2 is Doom1. The mechanics, graphics, gameplay are just different. We'd have been able to do more with BlitzMax, but it came out during the middle of our work.

We are working to lower the reqs to run, and seeing some quick progress. A lot of these things should be addressed in a patch in a couple of weeks.

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#21]
Of course, I just said it reminded me more of Soldat than the other game I was thinking about x)
I'll try again when you release the patch

cheers!

Btw: which one is HL2 and which Doom1? ;)

Rck(Posted 2005) [#22]
not much diff

Rck(Posted 2005) [#23]
Anybody else have comments?

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#24]
It's a nice game... But it was really jerky with my laptop...
Another problem is that I can't play games like these without my eyes hurting... The view is just too zoomed in... My eyes can't keep up with the action... in otherwords everything is too big and moves too fast ;)

Najdorf(Posted 2005) [#25]
If I dont get it wrong blitzplus does not use directx nor opengl, so that's probably the reason why it's slow. Time to port it to blitzmax :P