Snowball Scramble: re-launched

Community Forums/Showcase/Snowball Scramble: re-launched

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#1]
For those who didn't get to play this yet... here is - "Snowball Scramble".

A simple festive fun (Christmas themed) arcade action style game for 1 or 2 players (split screen) and three modes of play. FREE demo version available now. Registered users (£5.00) get no 'nag' screen and high scores and you can have a name appear in the game (if it were a gift for a child for example).

Features:
Select a character from 8 in built.
Cursor keys or joypad for player 1.
WASD for Player 2.
Select from 10 upto 80 parcels to collect from the magic forest.
Midi music, sound effects, and festive vocals.
Particles galore!
Collect and deliver parcels from the magic forest to the giant Christmas Tree in order to score. Can you beat your opponent to the last parcel? Steal parcels from your opponent, grab powerups for energy bursts and extra scores.
The more you carry the slower you move so beware!
Against an opponent or the clock.

The FREE demo version is available now from:
www.smartscreenuk.com/Snowball_SmartScreen_2005.htm

IPete2.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#2]
I am one of the lucky ones who _has_ played it!

Nice one Pete - it reminds you what addictive gameplay is really all about.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#3]
You are very kind John, thanks!

IPete2.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#4]
Played it last year. Nice to see an upgrade. As a matter of interest I may well be releasing a christmas game. Did you actually make any sales (don't mean that rudely) and if so did it show a bell curve over christmas? What were the start and end times of the curve? If you don't feel like posting this, I'd love an email (see my profile for address) and I promise not to blab :-)

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#5]
If you remember it was released too late for Christmas! Sigh! Hence this slightly changed version... It will undergo a bigger revision for next year. Because it was too late I didn't get many sales at all... there was a definite bell curve 0 - 2 - 0 !!!! Lol. That's why this year it is going on Download.com hopefully later this week, and I have also got a Buy Now button from Pay Pal.

IPete2.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#6]
"can't open the PAK file! DATAS.PAK"

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#7]
Cool, thanks for the info IPete2. Maybe we can have a christmas sales competition, lol, let each each know (secretly?) our sales figures... Your bell curve is great, lol, more like a stick. oh and better luck this time!

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#8]
big10P Let me look at that!

edit: you may have downloaded whilst I was replacing the file on the web server. It should be 2.34MB in size. Please try again and if anyone else has problems please let me know.

@Grey, yes okay - when is yours due out?

IPete2.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#9]
IPete2: week or two max if I wanna hit the market, we'll see.... watch this space.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#10]
Cooolio - I am really looking forward to seeing what it is going to be...

I have put Snowball Scramble on to the Basic listings on Download.com (for $9.00 per month). There is a 5 day wait though so it hopefully will be on next weekend. Last year due to a problem with a host service it went on live late on Christmas Eve - too late for any sales I'm afraid. :(

I am hopeful of maybe a few sales, but loads of downloads...

The game is quiet addictive with two players fighting over who is gonna get the last parcel and stealing from each other - it's a lot of fun I must say. Graphically it's nice and colourful, but my aim was a very small download (2.34MB) so I used mainly in build primitives to make the snowballs, trees etc. It was a challenge to make it workable but I got there.

I just hope people download and enjoy it for a bit of festive fun.

IPete2.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#11]
IPete2: Still no joy. It's probably a win98-related issue - it usually is. :P

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#12]
big10p,

Dang it! Thanks for letting me know - it was packed with PowerPacker, perhaps if I put a version out which was done with something else?

Do you normally have trouble with packed stuff?

IPete2.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#13]
IPete2: I'm not familiar with PowerPacker so can't really say if it's caused trouble before, because I don't know if I've ever installed an app that uses it. However, I don't ever remember seeing that particular error message before now.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#14]
I used to use Powerpacker on the Amiga!

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#15]
Tee hee,

Now we are on Download.com

http://www.download.com/Snowball-Scramble/3000-2099-10349082.html?part=dl-SnowballS&subj=uo&tag=button

IPete2.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#16]
wowzers 445 downloads so far, let me know how it goes. Was it hard to submit and do they turn away certain apps ever?

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#17]
Still 445, 14 hours later... Odd?

(Unless it fell off of some 'what's new' page or something)

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#18]
hmmm,

maybe the counter gets refreshed every 24 hours? I know I have downloaded it once and it didn't count up.

If it does not change in the next 24 hours I shall e-mail them, thanks for checking. Did you download it Xlsior?

IPete2.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#19]
Did you download it Xlsior?

No, not yet.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#20]
Yes, just had a technical report saying their counter and reporting are down currently!

IPete2.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#21]
I will download this tommorow! Looks fun :D

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#22]
So IPete2, did you review your own game as Avon_Calling as that user has only submitted 1 review, bit fishy methink ;-) But I'd do the same. So 600odd downloads now they've fixed the counter. Sales? Mine is sooo close to release now...

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#23]
Grey,

Avon is a real other person. It is NOT me. I wouldn't stoop to that - or if I did I would review it as myself and give an honest opinion of the game.

As for Avon_Calling, he has given what I believe is a true account of the games strengths and limitations. In fact I was trying to upgrade the interface/gui in September but then I got very busy with some work...you know how it is - I have to pay the mortgage and I am a one man company so any work is usually a priority.

You are right about the stupid counter system! I can't believe that I haven't had one e-mail regarding purchase. Maybe I have to reach 20,000 downloads before I could expect a result? I don't know - its new ground for me too.

Perhaps the game is not that good? Or perhaps I have given too much away for free?

The other thing I was thinking about doing was adding levels, bad guys and maybe a boss or two to make it even more of a game you'd play longer.

I must say though, it does have a 'just one more try' kinda simplicity to it, especially in two player mode where calls of 'My PARCEL' 'No! My parcel' can be heard from my kids on a regular basis. Lol.

...and whatever you say it has a really GOOD SEASONAL feel to it - which I was aiming for, along with as many uses of primitives as I could, to keep the download size down.

Be sure if I get a sale I will annoounce it...but don't hold your breath! Lol.

IPete2.

PS Grey come on dude it's nealry Christmas I wanna see your game!!!!!

Avon(Posted 2005) [#24]
So IPete2, did you review your own game as Avon_Calling as that user has only submitted 1 review, bit fishy methink ;-)

LOL

I wonder who did that review...? ;)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#25]
sorry to doubt your character IPete2 ;-)

as for mine, I'm working on it (in amongst paid work, chores, childcare and maintaining a releationship haha)!

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#26]
no probelms Grey - I didnt take any offence.

How long... give us a days indication dude. (btw no sales still)!

sigh!

IPete2.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#27]
well, it kinda depends on the publisher I guess, aim is to get it to them this weekend, or Monday at the latest.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#28]
hooo eee! I'll be waiting !

IPete2.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#29]
I'd hate to disappoint you. Hope you'll like it. It's not 3D it's done in BlitzPlus and it's a puzzle game wheras all my "free" games are action (well apart from Tetroid). this is because puzzles sell! Also I feel it's really polished and I've made sure it works on really crappy machines but still looks good on really new decent machines. I sooo excited.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#30]
I've made sure it works on really crappy machines
Oi! I heard that! :P

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#31]
Big10p: well yours is medium, lol, I tested it on a 6^00MHZ laptop with 8MB video card last night and it rocked.