A little shooter test

Community Forums/Showcase/A little shooter test

Jimbob(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi...I've been making a shooter by the name of Industrika. You may have seen the progress in the worklogs, but if not, I'm letting you test a little something.

http://www.jrnetwork.co.uk/Indtest.zip (about 450kb)

There's no real structure or sounds, but I wanna know how the whole thing feels in terms of movements and such.
I've let a few people test it already, and some think I should extend the platforming/jetpacking aspect a little more. but meh, try it out tell us what you think.

Right Shift/Ctrl - Both fire buttons (bombs/gun)
1 - Toggles joystick/keyboard
Esc - Pause/Quit

Here's a screenie:

Cheers.

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#2]
I like it. Nice, smooth scrolling. :) Of course the enemies take way too many hits to destroy and the coins disappear too quickly (if you kill an enemy at the top of the screen, while dodging other enemies to get to the bottom, the coin will have gone already), and there's only two levels!! But this is just a test and it's going nicely so far. Is your dude meant to look like a teenage mutant ninja turtle? I guess once the story mode has some close up shots showing him as a guy in robotic armour it'll be fine, but without that reference he is SO Leonardo! ;)

+BlackD

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#3]
nice design.

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#4]
What BlackD said

Plus I think the character needs to move a little faster.

Moving at the same speed as the enemies means you can't outrun them which I didn't like.

Also when the character has died and is respawning you should remove the ability to fire whilst this is happening.

Apart from those suggestions its looking great, very smooth and no crashes.

Keep up the good work!

Jimbob(Posted 2005) [#5]
Yeh, what will happen is, the money you collect will go towards upgrades to your jetpack/guns. So at the start it may seem hard, but if you collect a little money, you can upgrade.

I'm might make the first area you come to a little easier to compensate this if people do find it a little hard.

Thanks for the bug mention and I'll make the coins last a little longer.

Would people find it more difficult if I added a jetpack type movement to it? I might add some platforms in some areas, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. I'll post up a test with jetpack movement to see if it works better sometime soon.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#6]
Nice, reminds me of mega man from the gfx side.

Fullscreen mode is welcome as well.
And the menu texts are hard to read, at least for me... :)