Ice Cream Showdown shop progression

Community Forums/Showcase/Ice Cream Showdown shop progression

sswift(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've got a new version of the shop to show off, and I thought I'd show some of how the art progressed from the first shop to the current while I was at it:

10/12:

11/02:

11/08:

11/16:

And today:

These are just the picturesd of the shop I already had uploaded, which is why the time frames aren't really evenly spaced.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#2]
wow... great artwork... you do these sswifty?

--Mike

sswift(Posted 2005) [#3]
I actually hired an artist, but I've been assisting him with shading, coloring, and layout. He does a sketch, colors it, sticks it in the shop, then I go in and lop an arm off a cactus, make it bigger change it's location, change the hue and add some shadows. :-)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#4]
looks great. what's that dragon in the ceil?

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#5]
It looks very nice.

So... I guess the big question is: are all these rats and splats of ice cream dynamcic?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#6]
rats! thought they look like dragons. :°)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#7]
Radical!

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#8]
So that's level 1, what's level 2 going to look like :D

sswift(Posted 2005) [#9]
"So... I guess the big question is: are all these rats and splats of ice cream dynamcic?"

Yes. There's one rat, but there's four positions he can appear in, and as you progress through the level, the shop will be improved, so you might start out with a crummy looking shop, and things like the water stain will get fixed up,and the tables cleaned up, and the mouse hole patched up. And some things like the cactus and the menu on the table may appear.

"So that's level 1, what's level 2 going to look like :D"

The plan is to expand and improve the shop as the game goes on, so level 2 will look much the same, but bigger, with different decortations, additional tables, different color or texture on the walls, floor, ceiling, different counter, etc.

Ice9(Posted 2005) [#10]
You need a scoop wash. There is usually a little metal
basin on the back of an icecream freezer that has water
running to it and drainable. A wet icecream scoop is easier
to push through the iceream than a dry one. It also makes
the outside of the scoop look nice and keeps the metal
scoop from getting too cold.

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#11]
it's looking cool, Sswift! going to have a look at this when it's released :)

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#12]
Looks fairly nice, but the perspective is seriously bodged.

When working with central perspective the primary vanishing point is located in the center of the image (can be displaced). Additional vanishing points may be present if objects are rotated about the vertical axis, these vanishing points should all intersect the horizon line. Objects rotated on other axii will have vanishing points located away from the horizon line.

On your image the vanishing points are located all over the place which, unless everything in the image is exceptionally skewed, is incorrect.

Here's an image which shows the basic rules of central perspective:

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#13]
fredborg... a question here... what you've posted is unquestionably correct...but is he aiming for correct 3D perspective in his game...

looking at the shots, it was my impression that the game was purposely trying to present a sort of distorted othographic view... an exaggeration of the real dimensional rules in order to force a comic like, off centered perspective...

--Mike

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#14]
Well, it was just meant as constructive criticism, nothing more. See, if it wasn't meant to be a "distorted othographic view" as you label it, then it's probably best to point it out before it's too late to change.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#15]
I think you can get away with this kind of wonky perspective with 'cartoon' style graphics. It may even add to the style - I've seen many cartoons that pay little regard to perspective. If fredborg hadn't pointed it out, I don't think I would have noticed it, TBH. If the graphics were photo-realistic, I'm sure I would have picked up on it straight away.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#16]
fred:
The artist and I had this discussion already.

The first images he presented me were way off perspective wise. I thought he didn't know how to draw perspective correctly, but then he pointed out that I'd asked for a Monkey Island style for the backgrounds. I had, but what I didn't recall was that Monkey Island has little respect for perspective!

There was an extreme example he showed me where a log was on the ground and covering half the width of the screen down the center, but you could see the detail on BOTH ends of the log, even though neither were in a location where perspective would have allowed you to see them.

So, basically, I nudged him towards a more traditional perspective, but left the door open for compromise where things looked odd. The vertical lines for example, like those of the back wall, should be tilted out to the left and right, but it looked odd that way to me, so I had him go with a more isometric view for the lower half of the image, and fake the perspective on the ceiling so you could see it.

The top of the ice cream poster there is a bit off I suppose, considering it is supposed to match that of the wall it is on.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#17]
Anyway, I don't mind Fredborg's criticism, but:

A) He's wrong!
B) Too late now! :-)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#18]
hahaha... hey, i was just asking :)

--Mike

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#19]
It's good to know it isn't entirely accidental :)

One little tip then: As you can see from the screenshots from Monkey Island, they hardly use any straight lines, but rather curves to exagerate the cartoony look. This ensures there is less confusion about the intention of making it non-realistic (in terms of perspective).

sswift(Posted 2005) [#20]
I refer you once again to point B. :-)

Getting this done in the time we have left before my funds run out is gonna ba hard enough as it is without redoing the shop entirely now that we have a better idea of what it is we want.

Najdorf(Posted 2005) [#21]
It's strange, even though in theory it's not correct perspecive, it doesn't feel wrong.

Maybe because the eye distorts things that are not in it's center.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#22]
It always looked at bit funny to me, but it's a kinda fun game so it's not really important.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2005) [#23]
Looks very good to me.

What distracted me most was the view from the windows. It took me a while to understand what I was looking at.

At first I was wondering why the bamboo curtains were on the wrong side of the windows and how it appeared that the tree was drawn on top of the curtains! When I finally realized what it was, the perspective made me feel like the house was about to fall on its face. In fact, I think the view from the windows is making me a feel a bit nauseous, but it might just as well be the pizza I just ate! :)