Cholo Released

Community Forums/Showcase/Cholo Released

Stu_ovine(Posted 2005) [#1]
CHOLO - we have released our first 3D game written using Blitz. Its now ready for download.

"Using the droids in the city, your only means of contact to the surface, free the citizens of Cholo from their bunker where they have taken refuge for hundreds of years."

Head over to the Cholo website http://cholo.ovine.net and grab a copy.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#2]
I am astounded that you are giving this away free. This is great.

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#3]
Excellent work!

Any chance of being able to change the res? The game works well in stereo3d but my HMD is restricted to 800x600.

Also, where'd you get the music?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#4]
Quality. Thanks!

big10p(Posted 2005) [#5]
Same as MadJack: I can only do 800x600. Any chance of a res change option as I'd love to play this. :)

Stu_ovine(Posted 2005) [#6]
We are receiving good responses back so far - which is always encouraging.

The Music was written by a guy called Paul Egginton. talented guy. We shall be releasing the music as seperate downloads in a few weeks.

Screen Res :- Its down to time; definetly will look into it but I have a baby due - eeeek - tomorrow so time is very short ! -so sorry stuck at 1024x768 ATM.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#7]
Screen Res :- Its down to time; definetly will look into it but I have a baby due - eeeek - tomorrow so time is very short ! -so sorry stuck at 1024x768 ATM.
lol. OK, we'll let you off this time. Good luck with the baby, BTW. :)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#8]
Congrats on the imminent sprog. Mate of mine will have one of his own in the next couple of weeks.

Finjogi(Posted 2005) [#9]
Wow, looking good, I remember playing Cholo on my c64.. somehow it was so hard at that time, mayby I now get second chance to get around cholo world :)

VP(Posted 2005) [#10]
Gives me an Internal Server Error when I try to download using Opera. FireFox works fine.

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#11]
Definitely the BEST 3D game done in Blitz to date!! Site design is great, too. But I have kind of come to expect this level of quality from you guys.

Congrats on the little one :c)

Uncle(Posted 2005) [#12]
Very Very Nice. Ive been waiting for this one for some time and its definitely been worth the wait. Well done Stu and Andy.

Cheers,

Unc

PS Good luck with the baby Stu... remember all good things come to those who wait!

ozak(Posted 2005) [#13]
Damn. Cholo rocks! I was very impressed to see the huge city when I left the first building. Impressive, sleek and welltrimmed graphics/design :)

octothorpe(Posted 2005) [#14]
Good show! I'm rather enjoying playing such a unique game. Few bugs for ya:

*** Spoiler Alert ***

Rizzo died of radiation while teleporting back to the ship and I got stuck on the Robot Inventory screen. Clicking Return to Game did nothing, regardless of which robot I selected. I was also unable to Load a game or Restart. The GUI noise (ding) would play continuously whenever the left mouse button was down over a load slot or the Restart button.

Sometimes, I kill Security Robots and come back later to find they've respawned painted entirely black.

I didn't know about the ship teleporter at first and pulled up beside a dock so that Rizzo could drive right onto the deck. At first it seemed like it was going to work, but tragedy struck: Rizzo drowned and somehow my ship got pushed down several feet so that it was sometimes obscured by the waves. My ship was permenantly fixed at this new altitude, making it awfully difficult to pilot.

P.S. This game reminds me a lot of the excellent Infocom text adventure Suspended, what with the switching between robots for different tasks. I ought to download it and see if I can beat it now that I'm no longer a toddler.

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#15]
Ok, moved it to my gaming system and it will NOT run, it generates a MAV error.

If I disable DEP, it runs fine. If I enable DEP it crashes with a MAV.

System specs

Athlon 64 3700+
1 GB RAM
Geforce FX 5200 128MB
XP S2

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#16]
Ok, moved it to my gaming system and it will NOT run, it generates a MAV error.

If I disable DEP, it runs fine. If I enable DEP it crashes with a MAV.

Is this B3D/B+ ? If so, they may not have compiled it with the latest updates installed...

Rodan(Posted 2005) [#17]
WoW! I usually don't post on these forums but I had to get on and say that I LOVE this game. You did a great job on it and the graphics are great. It's one of the only recent games, commercial or shareware, that I've been impressed enough with to play for more then 20 minutes.

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#18]
Is this B3D/B+ ? If so, they may not have compiled it with the latest updates installed...
Even with the updates, the DEP issue still exists on certain setups.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#19]
I've found the boat - is it supposed to be moving? It's just sitting there and I can't interface with it. Is there some puzzle I have to solve to get the boat?

[I don't want anyone to give the game away - just tell me if its working properly and give me an idea of how far in the game u need to get to get the boat]

octothorpe(Posted 2005) [#20]
I didn't even know there was a boat until I solved the puzzle that granted me access to it. Now I'm stuck with all the robots and no idea what to do next!

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#21]
Ah you've answered my question without giving too much away - thanks Octothorpe.

How come you're so good at games - I notice from various threads that you seem to complete everything straight away - some bubble game, age of kingdoms, this, skateboard thing... etc.

octothorpe(Posted 2005) [#22]
Ah ha! I found the plane-specific accelerate key (X) that isn't listed in the in-game controls. Unfortunately, it's facing a building and I can't figure out how to turn it. Is this a bug?

octothorpe(Posted 2005) [#23]
I modified my save game to reset the plane's orientation. (Luckily, my first guess was correct!) I hope this isn't considered cheating!

Aside from the few bugs, this was a splendid game! Thank you!

P.S. What is Ovine's business model? From the looks of things, every game they've released has been freeware?!

ervin(Posted 2006) [#24]
Cholo was the Catch of the Month in the Australian magazine PC Powerplay (Issue 122, page 18).

Well done!

monkeybot(Posted 2006) [#25]
Nice game,well done it took me back to the olden days when games were a tenner and i had hair!

Stu_ovine(Posted 2006) [#26]
Ervin > thanks for the info - any chance of a page scan ?

Cholo has been featured in the fab UK magazine PCZONE issue March page 118 (freeware game of the month) -

For anyone stuck - why not pop over to http://forum.ovine.net/forum

We at Ovine have only released freeware games upto now, but we have a few original ideas for some commercial releases.......

ervin(Posted 2006) [#27]
Hi there.

I've scanned the article, but for the life of me can't get a link to the file (hosted on imageshack) to work properly in this forum... can anyone help?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#28]
And what's the link?

ervin(Posted 2006) [#29]
Here's the "hotlink for forums" link from imageshack.
I just can't seem to get it working with this forum.

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/6077/cholopcpp1gs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#30]
The bb-tags in this forum are slightly diffrent from the
common bb tags. You can write the URL of an image and it
will be displayed automaticly, or alternatively use
{img adress} (replace {} by []) .
For links use {a adress}click here{/a}

Stu_ovine(Posted 2006) [#31]
Thanks for the scan !!!!!!!

- not a glowing review - perhaps they are not retro fans :)

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#32]
I thought that review didn't sound too bad :o)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#33]
oh MAN!

I remember this on the amstrad CPC... it was just wireframe, but I loved it... LOVED it :)

And I had forgotten the name for years, completely fruitlessly searching for that game I lost.

THIS IS AMAZING! :)

*downloads*

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#34]
"catch of the month" is a perfect review. Especially since a not so bad review must be rated as a super review, since you didn't pay for any advertisement space, as top titles usually do.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#35]
hey OvineBD... great job... the mood and atmosphere of the Cholo world was enthralling...

as for the review... well, any press is good publicity... the guy who wrote it obviously missed the point of game...

congrats on a great piece of development...

--Mike