Tower Defence

Community Forums/Showcase/Tower Defence

@rtur(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi ppl,
Here is our new game:
http://www.towerdefence.com

here is screen:

Currently it has only 1 location.

We are currently working on new version with 5 locations and additional game modes.
What do u think about it?

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
---------------------------
Error
The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program.
OK

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#3]
Can I suggest instead of:
Evil monsters have intruded
into ancient kingdom.
You must build towers and
make a strong defence to
protect people of your castle.
Can you?

You do something like:

Hordes of evil monsters are intruding upon your ancient kingdom. You, as the protector of the land, must build a strong defence to protect the people taking refuge in your castle. But are you up to the challenge...?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#4]
Nice, very nice.

@rtur(Posted 2005) [#5]
>Error
>---------------------------
>The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of
>the program.

I've fixed one bug and was reuploading game at same time. Please redownload it now. It must be ok.

>Can I suggest instead of:
Thanks for fix:) My english is not very good :)
Where I can send a key to you?

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#6]
Same error. Installer had tons of currupted files.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#7]
Where I can send a key to you?

if you want, you can send it to me@... (thanks)

Same error. Installer had tons of currupted files.

Redownloading it solved it for me.

octothorpe(Posted 2005) [#8]
Excellent job on the terrain and the effects - they look professional.

I swear I've played about 20 variations on this game before. A lot of people really enjoyed playing this type of map for Warcraft 3. I'd run with it, here's a genre that hasn't been beaten into the ground.

Oh, and the HUD could use some work. It looks a little disjointed and unprofessional in comparison to the in-game graphics.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#9]
it's strangly addictive, I remember someone else releasing a tower defence game before, but I definitely prefer this one.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#10]
Very nice graphics -- I especially like the overhanging rock walls around the edge of the screen, and the river.

some of the baddies look a little out-of-place compared to the rest of the graphics though, a bit stick-figure like.

Also like the time-speedup option, although I did find a small bug with it: If you have it set to highest speed and you reach the end of the demo, you have the option to restart. After restarting the game speed is back down to 'normal', but the speed slider is still set to 'high'.

I'm not so sure about the price-point though, you may want to either lower that, or add additional levels/waves. Most of the Warcraft 3 tower defense levels contain 50 waves, and that is in addition to the 'normal' warcraft campaigns.

another thing I'm missing is a way to see what the remaining health of the moving units is -- right now it's pretty much a mystery how you're doing until someone disappears. You have no idea if the escaping units were 'almost' dead, or if they are still full health.

(Suggestion: In Warcraft 3, each unit will show a small health-bar above its head when you press the 'alt' key)

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#11]
another thing I'm missing is a way to see what the remaining health of the moving units is

Press space

Svenart(Posted 2005) [#12]
looks good to me. The particle effects are very nice.

TroM(Posted 2005) [#13]
very nice, fun and addictive!

@rtur(Posted 2005) [#14]
Thanks ppl for comments!
In final game there will be 5 locations and more that hundred raids of monsters.

>Also like the time-speedup option, although I did find a >small bug with it: If you have it set to highest speed >and you reach the end of the demo, you have the option to >restart. After restarting the game speed is back down >to 'normal', but the speed slider is still set to 'high'.

I've already fixed this bug. Thanks!
What, in your opinion, would be better - if game speed will be saved when player exit the game and restores when he will continue the game next time. Or set it to default each time when he starts the game?

As Perturbatio said, you can press space bar to togle health bars.

PS: Sorry for my english :)

ckob(Posted 2005) [#15]
awesome game I was making something like this as well but looks like I dont need to.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#16]
I found a bug, if you rapidly click one of the building selection icons, it will cause an error.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#17]
What, in your opinion, would be better - if game speed will be saved when player exit the game and restores when he will continue the game next time. Or set it to default each time when he starts the game?

I definitely think it should reset each time you play the game, ideally it should reset at the end of each wave of monsters (since the main time you need it to go slowly is when you are preparing for the next assault).

@rtur(Posted 2005) [#18]
Thanks

ckob(Posted 2005) [#19]
anyone been able to kill off all the bad guys from the first raid lol I cant kill them all.

@rtur(Posted 2005) [#20]
Try to target tower manualy by clicking on monsters ;)

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#21]
i killed all the monsters except wave 5. Enjoyable game. place ground towers and freeze towers near the end where the road going into the town is closest to the road just above it.. your towers get the most damage time against the monsters.. you wont need more than 3 ground an 2 freeze towers.. upgrade them. and place 1 fire spot near the exit. and upgrade it twice. The birds will get by, but there is only one wave of them.
with that setup, youll kill everythign but the birds :)
Http://www.empowergames.com/tower_power.jpg?

Binary_Moon(Posted 2005) [#22]
All you have to do is place one ground tower in the space you mentioned and upgrade it as much as possible. Around wave 3 add an air tower next to it and upgrade that as much as possible, and then you've got 100% (a few birds might get through though).

@rtur - I think the game is cool. It is very difficult to start with though. Until I realised that having a single strong tower was better than having many weak towers I had real problems playing.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#23]
Really nice game although I it can't even compete with superb WC3 TD maps ...

But I would surely not pay for it until it gets above the free WC3 TD maps and gets more maps and quite some more ... especially stuff that I missed in WC3 TDs like some kind of ladder.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2005) [#24]
Not everybody is privelaged to know about WC3 TD, so this game will probably sell to those in mind. Also I dont have WC3 on my hard drive anymore (haven't in a year or so) but this TD game certainly seems very appealing! (more so than WC3 and its large loading times and huge HD space) ;)

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#25]

I would set it to default when you start a new game, unless you also use multiple player profiles -- if you have multiple profiles, each player could remember his/her last used settings. You can tie that to the username entered.

As far as the speedup is concerned, you could also make it temporary, to be reset at the end of the current wave to give you time to build new towers, etc... Or give the player a checkbox or something to lock the speed change so it stays the way it is until the player chooses otherwise.

Another suggestion: You may want to consider revamping the scoring system a little -- I hate to drag warcraft 3 into it again, but I do like how they implemented it: You get a small amount of cash immediately after killing each unit, and a larger amount as a bonus after completing the wave. That way killing a bunch of units early on in a level may give you some extra money to upgrade your defenses further down the map, rather than having to wait for some cash inflow at the end of the level.

But again: this game looks very professional the way it is already. Great graphics, and good to play.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#26]
Very nice! Runs very smoothly with lovely sharp textures - but why have the max resolution at an odd 1280 X 960? Why not the standard 1280 X 1024? I use a flatscreen which is optimised for this resolution so the game would look a little better and even sharper at 1280 X 1024 - I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I loved the particle effects as well - especially the water.

btw I found the game quite hard - perhaps too hard? I'm finding it quite addictive so I might improve though.

@rtur(Posted 2005) [#27]
xlsior
Thanks for comment :)

Steve Elliott
Can you change XRes and YRes variables in Settings.vdd to 1280 and 1024. And say if the game look fine on your flatscreen? Texts and controls(buttons etc) are normal or their Y coordinates not correct?

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#28]
What can I say?

Very addictive and simple gameplay, I really like this and it is the first Blitz game I have ever bought.

Nice one!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#29]
@rtur, changing the XRes and YRes variables in Settings.vdd and the game looks good - but the Y coodinates are slightly out.

Xzider(Posted 2005) [#30]
Very Very nice!!
Reminds me alot of Warcraft 3 Battle.net - Tower Defence..

@rtur(Posted 2005) [#31]
Shambler
Wow! Thanks! It is my first order :))

Matt McFarland(Posted 2005) [#32]
some of the folks over at indiegamer.com will probably love your game..

post an announcement at http://forums.indiegamer.com/index.php

:)

@rtur(Posted 2005) [#33]
Matt McFarland
I don't want to post there beta version. I'll post there final version when finish it. Because right now I know a lot of things to fix.
Thanks for advice, anyway :)

Matt McFarland(Posted 2005) [#34]
Oh! Ok! I didnt realize it was beta :P