Newsletter buried, added Products -?

Archives Forums/General Discussion/Newsletter buried, added Products -?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#1]
I see the newsletter on the startpage is removed now, a good thing since actually it wasn't new. I think it's a good idea to show some successful products instead. Although, unfortunately the successful titles are not always the best titles. Well, no offence, the featured titles are all good to top, of course.

But there's one thing I'd really like to say: When I click the link for platypus, that's realarcade.com, the server redirects me to a page telling me that:

Internet Explorer 5.0 oder höher erforderlich. 
Zum Anzeigen dieser Website und für die großartigen Spiele 
von RealArcade benötigen Sie Internet Explorer 5.0 oder 
höher.    Holen Sie sich jetzt Internet Explorer 6!

this means
Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher required. To display this 
Page and to play the great Games of RealArcade you need 
Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher. Get Internet Explorer 6 
now! (link)

Although I'm kind of impressed by the automatic language setting, I have to say: I am using Opera and Firefox and I really, i mean REALLY feel no need to use, install or touch in any way MSIE.

Maybe RealArcade can use my opinion as a constructive critism.

Genexi2(Posted 2005) [#2]
Works fine here in FF1.5 RC1, but in Opera 8.02, same prob as yours.

Kind of sucks if you ask me, as the sites display perfectly fine in them browsers if you tinker with some options (or extension in Firefox) to trick it into thinking you're using IE.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2005) [#3]
THat's Odd. I use Firefox but the RealArcade link works just as intended.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#4]
I just never use such websites or any that are affiliated with them. I hate monopolies. It's really stupid of blitzbasic.com to advertise such a website as its top advert while at the same time promoting the "multi-platform" BlitzMax. So if you are using Mac or Linux you'll have difficulty viewing it? Whoose idea was it anyway?

Remove that site from the home page.

VP(Posted 2005) [#5]
A site not compatible with Opera is not a site worth visiting. This does include the online payment of my Council Tax...

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#6]
I really like the redesign. That said, this thread isn't really about the redesign, so the title is misleading.

As for RealArcade, that link redirected me to GameHouse. I'm using Safari on a Mac.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#7]
A site not compatible with Opera

A browser that's as annoying to create websites for as Opera is not worth developing for. Firefox on the other hand, I fully support.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#8]
Get this right, I don't care if a page has some problems displaying everything correctly in all browsers, but THAT suggestion ("get msie!") was only silly. Especially since most people refuse to use msie due to a long list of security issues. And the list is getting longer and longer.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#9]
Clean here. XP SP2, windows firewall, ms antispyware. Three dodgy products. =]

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#10]
did you patch the executable JPGs? :P

VP(Posted 2005) [#11]
I just couldn't cope without Opera's mouse gesture browsing. I do feel a bit daft when I try using gestures when not in Opera though...

Like Vanilla, I don't have any added protection past Windows firewall. I hate and despise modern anti-virus solutions. They are the worst offenders in the bloat-ware category. All I want is something that quietly sits in the background and stops viruses getting onto my HD and strips them out of my emails. No AV solution can do this, at least, not to my satisfaction.

I do not want 'value added' features. I want:

1) System scans at the click of a button.
2) Monitoring of changed/accessed files which are then only scanned when my computer is idle, not when I'm playing fscking games and especially not when playing online.
3) Uses less than 2MiB of RAM whilst not scanning and only as much RAM as required to load the virus database whilst it is scanning.
4) Free updates for virus definitions, or an open-sourced method of virus definition distribution so that anyone can contribute.
5) Does not slow my PC down. I bought a fast PC for a reason and that reason was not so that AV software can utilise 30% of my resources.

To keep on-topic though, I like the new links ;)

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#12]
According to my virus checker the miniclip site sends a DLL that has a virus in it. Anyone else get this?

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#13]
did you patch the executable JPGs? :P

Whatever MS Update threw at me. I guess so. =]

But, you know, I'm sure it's really dangerous and all, but people got by without that patch before MS made it ;]

Oh, I do use Avast!, forgot about that ;] But I'm fully sick to death of 3rd party firewalls. None of them are perfect anymore and I've tried a lot just recently...

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#14]
people got by without that patch before MS made it

Most malware is created just after Microsoft releases a new security patch and explains what the patch is for. The foxtrot bravo's then look at what the patch fixed and try to exploit it before everybody updates.

I guess the newsletter is officially dead then, which is a shame, the screenshots shown looked a bit simple to me.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#15]
We've got GEOM (b3d) and cBubble (bmax) coming out on Miniclip soon, I wonder if BRL will give us some front page space?

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#16]
According to my virus checker the miniclip site sends a DLL that has a virus in it. Anyone else get this?

I browse on a Mac and I don't use a virus checker so I wouldn't know. I imagine that miniclip would be interested to know about this however.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#17]
They already know about it, read the forums on the site.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#18]
Most malware is created just after Microsoft releases a new security patch and explains what the patch is for.

Yeh I know, that's how Sasser and MyDoom got popular... I guess it was a silly thing to say, cuz I do visit some dodgy sites on occassion. =] You never know what they could throw at me...