ANN: Spline Magic 0.7 RELEASED!

Community Forums/Showcase/ANN: Spline Magic 0.7 RELEASED!

Matt McFarland(Posted 2005) [#1]
Ever wanted to make a shoot Em Up with complex enemy patterns? You want your enemy ships to fly in circles or maybe complex wave-patterns? This tool will allow you to create complex splines that you can code your objects to follow!

Spline Magic does what the name implies, it creates splines for you. You can visually draw them out by dragging the points of a bezier curve with the Left Mouse Button. You can add multiple curves to create a highly complex spline. There are many features which include Mirror, Flip, and Reverse. You can create complex path-ways that you want objects in your game to follow! Exactly as the curved line in the editor shows! Once you are satisfied with your spline, you press X and then you can paste the spline data into your IDE, or a text file. This program is 100% free, and it also comes with its source code. It is not an installer, just a plain ole zip file.

I would love Feedback!

ScreenShot:

Example PASTE Dump
bezier1.p0x=741
bezier1.p0y=40
bezier1.p1x=272
bezier1.p1y=95
bezier1.p2x=278
bezier1.p2y=229
bezier1.p3x=723
bezier1.p3y=161

bezier2.p0x=278
bezier2.p0y=229
bezier2.p1x=231
bezier2.p1y=374
bezier2.p2x=617
bezier2.p2y=382
bezier2.p3x=675
bezier2.p3y=210

bezier3.p0x=617
bezier3.p0y=382
bezier3.p1x=567
bezier3.p1y=382
bezier3.p2x=156
bezier3.p2y=397
bezier3.p3x=359
bezier3.p3y=456

Download:
http://mcfarlandgames.5u.com/splinemagic.zip

octothorpe(Posted 2005) [#2]
Sweet. I can see this being rather useful.

A couple things:

When dragging points, if you move the mouse too quickly, they're no longer being dragged. Also, if you drag a point too close to another point with a higher index, you'll be suddenly dragging the other node.

It would be nice if you could go back and fix up a previous curve (-) without blowing away all the work you've done on later curves.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks for the feedback Octothorpe. I will add/fix what you have stated in the next version!

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#4]
This is nice, very useful thanks.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#5]
AWESOME, not many people know how to do this and its free as well, Great job

puki(Posted 2005) [#6]
Very interesting - I shall download this later.

I feel this might be useful for moving "pigg-wiggy" from cloud to cloud.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2005) [#7]
Known Bugs:

(1) - When dragging points, if you move the mouse too quickly, they're no longer being dragged. Also, if you drag a point too close to another point with a higher index, you'll be suddenly dragging the other node.

(2) - Clipboard does not reset causing funky results

(3) - Whole screen moves (only map should move)

(4) - Loop function causes start node to move (instead of finish node)

------------------------------------------------------------

All bugs posted above have been fixed in version 0.9 (which is pending for release)
Another great feature of 0.9 is all the source code has been cleaned up and been fully organized into functions resulting in a much easier to comprehend source.
Version 1.0 Tasks:

Lock feature (lock nodes)

Scroll feature (Scroll through beziers) - Link Knowledge needed

I'm not succeeding at understanding the Links, when I try to add a link I end up adding two objects intstead of one? ?:(
Locking the nodes should be easy, and I think I might want to work on that later.

Qweeg(Posted 2005) [#8]
This is just what I was looking for - thanks for doing this and making available to the community! Oh and thanks for replying to my email so quickly too.

Cheers,
Tim

Matt McFarland(Posted 2005) [#9]
VERSION 0.9 released!

(FIXED) - When dragging points, if you move the mouse too quickly, they're no longer being dragged. Also, if you drag a point too close to another point with a higher index, you'll be suddenly dragging the other node.
(FIXED) - Clipboard does not reset causing funky results
(FIXED) - Whole screen moves (only map should move)
(FIXED) - Loop function causes start node to move (instead of finish node)

**ADDED** - tutorial.bmx (read through this it helps alot!)
**ADDED** - readme.txt (read this first)

http://mcfarlandgames.5u.com/splinemagic.zip

Matt McFarland(Posted 2005) [#10]
VERSION 0.9.2
**ADDED** - Rolling Ball! Now you can see the speed an object
will move along the curve so you can have a fluid movement.

**CHANGED** - The red curve is more dotty, and it is no longer
saved into the clipboard

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#11]
does anybody still have this?

tjompen(Posted 2007) [#12]
I'm interested too...
tommy-bergstrom@...