More Kung Fu! Playable demo!

Community Forums/Showcase/More Kung Fu! Playable demo!

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#1]
Mist(working title) is a kung fu adventure game set in a world inspired by seventies Hong Kong movies and 8-bit classics such as Fist 2 and The Last Ninja. The grand plan is to create a dark and surreal point'n'click-style adventure crammed with martial arts and some rpg-elements. Some of you people might remember that I promised a demo with more characters, styles etc.. well sorry but real life got in the way. This demo here only contains the same two characters but now with kicking moves, a new background(not quite finished), AI and a killer music track by Nguyen Dinh Hai. Now you can also customize keys and use your joypad(not customizable). The stickykey problem is gone too (big thanks to BlackJumper).

Control your player with o,k,l,m, lshift for punching, lctrl for kicking and lalt while close to throw.

Screenshot of the new level here:

The demo (20mb):
http://dwarftek.com/cgi-bin/2.0c.zip

UPDATE:
New exes to fix a couple of small issues in the original download.
http://dwarftek.com/cgi-bin/exe.zip

Hope you enjoy :)

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#2]
very nice :D
Took me a bit to realise holding direction keys produces different moves, but after that it was loadsa fun.

Note for those with non-funky QWERTY keyboard layouts: o k l m means o k l ;

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#3]
Wow...incredible graphics....and check out the amount of animations in the graphic file...Where did you get the graphics from?

Tob_b(Posted 2005) [#4]
Very nice, I like it. ;) You must have spent an age making the animations, as Neuro said.

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#5]
Looking great. I`ve always wanted to make a beat`em`up in Blitz myself. Would you be willing to share some of the techniques used to create the engine?

Jason.

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#6]
Oops, forgot to add proper control descriptions in the first post. Here ya go:

o,k,l,; to move, jump and crouch
lshift,lctrl for light attacks, pressing either key while holding forward produces medium power blows, back heavy blows.
hold back key to block
tap backwards twice to do a backflip.
tap twice forward to run.
press kick key while running to do a flying kick.
lalt while moving forward to throw(close range)

Where did you get the graphics from?

My brain.
EDIT: Well mostly. The trees are Xfrog plant renders and the buddha is a retouched photo of a small statue at home.

Thanks for the comments. Feel free to get nasty if there's something you don't like, there's plenty room for improvement I'm sure :)

@QuickSilva
You bet, just ask. I'm not much of a coder but I'm willing to share whatever part you're interested in.

Shagwana(Posted 2005) [#7]
Impressive stuff.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#8]
The guy on the right reminds me of the landlord in Kung Fu Hustle. :-)

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#9]
ahh, *that's* where he's from!

octothorpe(Posted 2005) [#10]
Looks gorgeous! I especially love the motion blur.

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#11]
Very impressive ..

Was I the only one what noticed that my guy disappeared a couple of times for a millisec? Not sure what I was doing at the time other than rattling keys ....

I remember playing Fist2 on the old C64 .. classic game.

CodeD(Posted 2005) [#12]
Cool stuff. Great graphics, reminds me of Karateka in a way. By the way, I'll be home from Iraq in a couple days. Hurray. It's been a whole year.

Najdorf(Posted 2005) [#13]
Way cool! Great stuff. Is the motion blur pre-rendered or realtime?

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#14]
Was I the only one what noticed that my guy disappeared a couple of times for a millisec?

Wha?! I thought I fixed that! Okay, more testing..

The guy on the right reminds me of the landlord in Kung Fu Hustle. :-)

ahh, *that's* where he's from!

Well now, actually he's a shameless rip of Hwang Jang Lee in Drunken Master :p I couldn't help myself, this guy's the coolest baddie ever!

Is the motion blur pre-rendered or realtime?

All pre-rendered. Another perk of working with 2D :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#15]
HJL = The kicking king. He's Korean.

kragoth74(Posted 2005) [#16]
Ken Lo in "Drunken Master II" is incredible too.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#17]

All pre-rendered. Another perk of working with 2D :)

Wow. looks ace! First look and I didnt notice it was 2D from the screenie.

Neat!

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#18]
I have DMII as well. Also Snake in the Eagles Shadow which is pretty much the same!

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#19]
My brain.

So you actually drew all the animations?

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#20]
Well not pixel by pixel, I haven't completely lost it yet :) They're 3D models animated and rendered in Softimage and C4D.

kragoth74(Posted 2005) [#21]
"Operation Scorpio" is worth a look, if you like super-kickers. The scorpio guy (Yuen Zen, I think...) is pretty good.

Oh, and of course Casanova Wong, Wang Ing-Sik... Yuen Biao was a good kicker, too. And @#!* Wei. And... ;-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#22]
kragoth74: Got it sitting in a pile to watch, except it's called Scorpion King. Just watched Casanova in Warriors two (with Sammo Hung). Sorry about the hijack but it is kung fu realted!

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#23]
Nice Stuff that is.

Couldnt figure out the controls, but the cpu vs cpu mode looked fun! :)

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#24]
Sorry about the hijack but it is kung fu realted!

Never you mind that! I'm on the lookout for new flicks to watch myself ;) Just please don't go too far or a moderator will lock it down for sure.

Also Snake in the Eagles Shadow which is pretty much the same!

Best kungfu flick ever('cept for Way of the Dragon). Just saw "Hitman in the Hand of Buddha", direction and main part by HJL. Funny movie, cheesy as hell and some rather questionable morals being shoveled at ya but lots of good moments, and the chopstick scene is amazing!

Couldnt figure out the controls, but the cpu vs cpu mode looked fun! :)

Hey thanks, you can customize the controls in the options menu if the default ones are awkward. Ah, who am I kidding, they're horrible! I had to map them that way though because blitz doesn't like my keyboard for some reason.

kragoth74(Posted 2005) [#25]
Very impressive. I like the retro feel... ;-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#26]
Hitman in the Hand of Buddha, seen it. I've got about 170 Kung Fu DVDs that I try to buy cheap e.g. Bruce Lee, Fake Bruce Lees, Brandon Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biau, Jean Claude Van Damm (ahem), Steven Seagal (ahem 2), Donnie Yen, Chow Yun Fat, Michel Yeoh, + all the famous baddies in various movies. Some of the moives are real sh*t, some are boring until the last 30 minutes when all hell breaks loose, some are great all the way through and some are just TOTALLY Incredible. Watch Ong Bak and Kung Fu Hustle for interesting modern films, try to watch the 36 Chamber movies and all the One Armed Swordsman movies, Jackie was best in the 80's e.g. PoliceStory, Wheels on Meals, Armour of God, Project A, DMI and II etc. Sammos movies are great, Iron Fisted Monk, Magnificent Butcher, the Victim, Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind, Prodigal Son etc. Try and watch Once Upon in China trilogy and Hitman (Jet Li) and Twin Warriors (Jet Li and Fist of Legend (Jet Li), and Iron Monkey (Donnie Yen) and Lengend of a Fighter,

Try and gethold of this "Shaolin Kung Fu Master Collection (8 DVDs)" it TOTALLY rocks, best watched with a friend. For a gory laugh watch Story of Ricky.

These are also good: "The Hot, The Cool and The Vicious", 7 Grand Masters, Duel of Ultimate Weapons, Shaolin Invincible Sticks, Shaolin Ex. Monk, Snake Deadly Act, The Rebellious Reign and lets not forget Shogun Assassin (In kill Bill 2 Uma says to the girl "what shall we watch" and the girl says "shogun assassin", true! And for preposterours checkout Zu Warriors from Magic Mountain, Mr Vampire and Chinese Ghost Story.

Whereas Way of the Dragon is Good I would say there are better movies out there, it just pioneered. I do like Big Boss though! DM2 is widely regarded as Jackie's best work and it is brill but he's done so much good stuff (and pap, lots of early pap, but still has good stuff in it)

Well I ahve gone on a bit haven't I, to keep on topic the point is that these would all serve as excellent reference material for your game :-)

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#27]
Holy crap, thanks a lot! Plenty of stuff for me to check out there.
Jean Claude Van Damm (ahem)

Mr "Look at my (rear end)!" Van Damme, hehe. A.W.O.L still is a good one I think.
And for preposterours checkout ... and Chinese Ghost Story

Hey, I liked that! It's so outrageous in every way it's terrific! :D

EOF(Posted 2005) [#28]
Seriously good talent Erik. I hope you can get some nice effects in the game (like Mortal Kombat but without the OTT gore).

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#29]
New exe download below. Clears up a couple of small bugs I missed in the AI and combo keypress combinations. The CPU won't attack relentlessly with light attacks anymore.

1.7 mb:
http://dwarftek.com/cgi-bin/exe.zip

Seriously good talent Erik. I hope you can get some nice effects in the game (like Mortal Kombat but without the OTT gore).

Thanks, I hope so too :) Been throwing various ideas around in my head. Like extreme close-ups on the eyes of characters just when they're about to do an ultra-killer move/combo etc..

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#30]
This is top work... keep it up Erik.

Salo(Posted 2005) [#31]
This is really nice work. I'm only just getting started in Blitz3D (first programming language I've ever tried) and 2D games is what I want to use it for, so seeing this is really inspirational.

Did you code this all by yourself? And when you say the graphics/characters are rendered 3D models, how do you do this? Manually stop at each frame you want and render the image separately and repeat? Or is their some tool in XSI for this. I don't believe I haven't thought of doing it like this before.

Anyway, very nice stuff. I look forward to playing a more complete release sometime and hope one day I'll be making games of this quality in my spare time.

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#32]
Thanks, comments like that are a big lift! Good luck with your own creations.

Did you code this all by yourself?

With some help from programmers I know and the blitz community. Pure monkey programming but it works somehow and that's good enough for me.
when you say the graphics/characters are rendered 3D models, how do you do this? Manually stop at each frame you want and render the image separately and repeat?

I don't do anything fancy, just set the sequence to render to numbered tga files and open them in gimp later to retouch and create frames for spritecandy's imagepacker.