Things you like/dislike

Archives Forums/General Discussion/Things you like/dislike

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#1]
What things do you like and dislike about software development?

Here are a few to get started..

I dislike when people make something 3D just for the sake of it, without adding anything really new.

I dislike certain buzzwords which supposedly add something to the product, but really don't.

I do like being creative and finding original ways to do things.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
wrong forum methinks.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#3]
What things do you like and dislike about software development?
farting around on blitzbasic.com when I should be typing in some code...

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#4]
I like.. coming up with new ideas for games or routines, prototyping them, getting it working, and making it look cool...

I dislike... rounding off said code to actually achieve something worthwhile.

deps(Posted 2005) [#5]
I like.. coming up with new ideas for games or routines, prototyping them, getting it working, and making it look cool...

I like that too.

I dislike my lack of motivation to continue working on my games.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2005) [#6]
I can't stand Tomatoes.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#7]
The thing I like most from Software development is the buzz of creation. Its also the perfect blend of science and art.
The thing I dislike is perhaps working on a project for a couple of years and realising you're going to have to re-write pretty much from scratch.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#8]
Like...
Starting a new project

Dislike...
Finidhing something I've been working on a long time

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#9]
Wolron: You never said if you like or dislike farting around, unless you meant both in a kinda love/hate relationship.

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#10]
Like inventing things...the science and art bit.

Hate finishing stuff...don't have the motivation when my graphical art suxx so much which is why I stick to music composition now.

Once I know whether the invention works or not, that's the time to move on for me.

Hate websites that play music -.-

big10p(Posted 2005) [#11]
Hate websites that play music -.-

Me too. The number of times I've been late night surfing - all nice and peaceful like - only to stumble on some site banging out some godawful techno track. Heart attack city. :/

P.S. I know you can turn off music in IE, I just always forget to. :P

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#12]
I like finishing things so I can be proud of something complete.

Like the recent thread, I had stupid bugs caused by yourself that takes ages to solve especially typos in Blitz Plus.

I hate unexpected technical problems that take ages to solve and really slow down your development.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#13]
Sorry about the wrong forum, duh!
:-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#14]
duh is derogatory to those with special needs whereas doh merely mimicks Homer Simpson thus is more acceptable, plus it's the name of the baddie in the Arkanoid sequal ... ;-)

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#15]
Dislike:
Having a really fiendish coding problem that you can't get to sleep, because it just keeps going around and around in your brain until it gets solved...

... eventually you crack it at 6a.m. and drop off to sleep... to be woken by your alarm clock about 45 minutes later.

My all time classic for this was when I 'invented' a text compression method that kept me awake all night. I was so excited by my solution that I started telling afirend about it. "Oh, like Huffman encoding!" he said nonchalantly.

After that I vowed to learn not to reinvent the wheel ! I have Donald Knuth's Art of Computer Programming trilogy on my bookshelf now. I have even read small sections of it ;-)

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#16]
The most rewarding thing about programming is finishing something and getting non-negative feedback. That's why I write freeware - so more people can inflate my ego with nice posts in the various gaming forums.

The most disheartening thing was finding bugs in the programming language spoiling development, crushing ideas, and incompatabilities spoiling job interviews... That's why I now use Blitz3D, so now the most annoying thing is my own apathy when I go through a dry spell and dont do any coding.

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#17]
exactly what becky rose said, twice.

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#18]
I hate those drunkass thugs from New York who come to the DC clubs and get into fights in the bathroom while you're trying to take a @#!*.......then you have no choice but to get involved........

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#19]
Yeah BlackJ, about reinventing the wheel ... for example go to Wikipedia and type in Sorting Algorithm!

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#20]
I dislike those Hentai games that force you to click through hundreds of questions just to find you get some lame static image. Whats worse is when the static image has a mosiac :/

DampeS8N(Posted 2005) [#21]
I'm with ENAY... down with the nightshade's fruit!

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#22]
Likes: When a program compiles without any errors the first time.

Dislikes: When they don't. Particularly when it's something stupid, like unmatching parentheses, a missing semi-colon or an EndIf that you forgot to delete when you rewrote the algorithm to be itterative (or an EndWhile when you rewrote it to be recursive, depending on the situation).