Befunked!

Community Forums/Showcase/Befunked!

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#1]
EDIT part drei: The game's up again, here. Instructions for the level editor somewhere near the bottom of the thread.

EDIT part deux: the game is way way way cooler than the version that was up before - screens at the bottom of the thread :)

(This game is now way cooler than the one I started the other thread for, so here's a new one. Download link at the bottom of this post.)

Presenting, Befunked!

GROUPS OF LITTLE THINGS
or
BEFUNKED!

Instructions
------------

So these little things keep popping up all over the place. You have to sweep them up by holding down the left mouse button and making a sweeping motion, then pop the little things by tapping the left mouse button on one of them. Who knows why, but you get more points for popping lots of them together.
If you leave the little things to their own devices too long they might pop of their own accord, especially if they're in large groups. It's a mystery why, but you don't get any points when this happens.
Some of the little things are red and flashing. You can't pop them, but they might pop themselves and anything else near them, earning you no points.
Yet others are blue and flashing - they scoot about dragging the other things in their wake. You can't push them so your best bet is to try and pop a group when they're passing by it.
Finally, the last kind of thing sucks the other things towards it, popping them for no points when they get close. You'll just have to do your best until one of these things disappears after a short while.

After 60 seconds your time is up and you're given your score, for whatever reason. After that you can start the game again, if you like.

I WANT A BIG MAC AND FRIES, COMPRENDE? .exe zip

ps: mac/linux users - on sage advice I've taken down the .bmx. If you promise not to thieverise my code email me and I'll send you the .bmx to build an executable for your OS)

Zenith(Posted 2005) [#2]
Wooohoo! I shall befunk those balls. It's becoming really professional, keep it up! :)

Amon(Posted 2005) [#3]
Love it. :)

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#4]
As requested by the less sentient members of the community, have a NO HABLO INGLES fullscreen .exe zip

This just in: I've made it so the mines will blow up wormholes, I've added a frame limiter to make it fair, and the score to beat is 17000 :D

Yet more: The mouse is now trapped and invisible in windowed mode thanks to the fine chaps in the Programming forum. I've made the mines fizz and wobble when they're likely to blow up, and they're also worth double points now.

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#5]
Ah, who cares, I'll bump it.

I've fixed all sorts of things, tweaked a couple of rules, added a couple of sound effects, and the high score's now 17300 :P

I think the gameplay's pretty much there now, so now I need to add all the bumf that goes with a real game - menus, levels, etc. but most importantly graphics. If you're any good at Illustrator and feel like doing some simple sprites for me (yes, I'll arrange payment if I start selling this) please email me at christianperfect RESIDESWITHIN hotmail.com :)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#6]
Can I ask if your going to polish this. or do anything major with it ?

Have to say its the most original and fun little thing iv played in an age.. I would be well interested in stealing your idea if you were not intending to do anything big with it lol..

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#7]
It's quite likely I will have a go at polishing this and selling it, everyone's been telling me it's got potential!

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#8]
This is interesting but there is one flaw. I keep getting more points by not trying to group them together but instead quickly clicking on each one that appears. If you could make it so that the balls stick to the green line while you hold the mouse button, it would probably be more fun?

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#9]
hey.. this was cool.. I didn't quite understand the points thingy, but it was cool just spinning the bat around hitting those little balls (..eeeh.. mental picture..)..

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#10]
lenn - you are clicking on the groups once you've gathered them together, aren't you? Stuff just popping of its own accord doesn't get you any points. You get 50 points for popping a thing on its own, but each thing in a group scores 50*(distance in chain from clicked tihng), with a 2X multiplier when the distance is greater than 5.
What kind of scores are you getting at the end?

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#11]
Here's a couple of sprites for you to use... I expect good money for these if you publish of couse.

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#12]
har har.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#13]
so much sarcasm implied with so few letters ;-)

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#14]
@GreyAlien: Here's a couple of sprites for you to use... I expect good money for these if you publish of couse.

Hey! That grey ball sprite of yours is in blatant copyright violation -- It is visually identical identical to one I created back in 1988 for use in GW-BASIC on a monochrome XT system.

Of course I'm willing to discuss licencing terms with you.

;-)

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#15]
Warpy,
i pop "things" on their own. Because by the time i manage to gather 2 or 3 together, some disappear. If i try to get 4 of them together i usually end up with 2 because they disappear. If i'm trying to group them i get about 3500, popping them on their own i think about 4700... not sure. It might just not be my thing, this game.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#16]
xlsior : I say you used a timemachine to violate copyright law.

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#17]
A bit of an update: I'm adding multiplayer, and so far I've got multiple clients in a game moving about, pushing things and popping them. All I need now is to put in the masses of error checking netcode entails, then get the timing and scoring sorted. After that I can probably start polishing the game and (finally) adding menus!

I might upload something for those of you not in the Warpy Super Secret Club later.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#18]
xlsior : I say you used a timemachine to violate copyright law.

I say my theory will be a lot easier to prove than yours.

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#19]
I'm having a go at the menus now. This zip shows the kind of idea I'm going for.

edit: I've integrated it into the main game now, so here's a zip with the whole lot in. I might stop posting new versions now, the game's progressing quite far...

CodeD(Posted 2005) [#20]
Wow! Great stuff!

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#21]
Committing the cardinal sin again - bumping with the same old game...

Some explanation: The menu is all dynamically rendered bezier loveliness that slides in and out of the screen and glows and all sorts. There are now bots in the game, as well as several different levels to play on. I've also added multiplayer.

Zenith(Posted 2005) [#22]
Look guys, Warpy is writing a game that is almost complete. To Arms! Armeggedon is here!

Aww, but really Warpy; you are doing great work, keep it up till the end!

JAW(Posted 2005) [#23]
hey warpy.
WOH ME POSTING

404?
where's the link?

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#24]
WHOAH JAW

the link's dead; I might put it up again later.

Dubious Drewski(Posted 2005) [#25]
Aww, now I want to play it. And the link is 404.

Zenith(Posted 2005) [#26]
/me pokes Jaw

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#27]
shh, don't bring this topic up, I'm trying to avoid having to sort out the options screen.

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#28]
Now you've gone and done it - working options screen

Oh yeah, and you can play the game again :)

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#29]
This game is awesome. The whooshing graphic of the bat/thing is great, but either you've got lightening reflexes Warpy or you're a sadist, because boy is this game hard to beat. Or am I just lame at it.

[edit]Oh yeah. And it should make lightsaber noises when you move the bat.

Dubious Drewski(Posted 2005) [#30]
Phew this is a hard one to beat. Fun though.
But that other sabre beats me all the time. I loath it. I want
nothing but to see it fail!

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#31]
Bumpy bumpy - I've added a level editor :)

Oh yeah, didn't add to the readme - editor controls are as follows:
you can click and drag points and triangles to move them about
Hold down shift and click on an edge to toggle whether it's drawn
Hold down control and click in three places to make a triangle.
Hold down control and right click on a triangle to delete it.

I think that's about it.

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#32]
Bump it like a twelve-car pileup!
I've changed the AI a bit to make it act more realistically, I've added a difficulty slider, and I've added a load of options to the level editor.
It's nearly there, don't you think?