Blitz Gallery suggestion.

Community Forums/Showcase/Blitz Gallery suggestion.

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,

I would like to suggest that some form of feedback options is added to the Gallery section of this site.
I like to rate the pictures put up there, but sometimes it would be very helpful to be able to give constructive critique on the work. Explaining why you put that "2" on their screenshot will help them more in the future than just the number, and would help the community.
To me, this is similar to how art forums have WIP subforums where people can get comments on their work.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#2]
Yes.
It may seem exactly the same as posting in the forum, but it's actually different -- when replying to things in showcases, people tend to take a bit more care not to highjack the discussion :)

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yes, exactly my thoughts.

However, this could be further improved by giving the Gallery submitter a moderator status over his/her screenshot and the comments, being able to remove offensive posts him/herself.

Lesser work for the mods, and a more personalized community space.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#4]
Id suggest just give us a showcase like the old Blitzcoder one or the current CW one..

Showcase's are common in sites like this I find it strange that blitz have chosen not to allow us to show off our work in a way that makes it easy for non blitz users to see it..

for example if they give us a showcase and link to it from the main page while displaying say the top 5 new ones and some random ones, then new users to blitz wont have to troll through the fourms to see what the engine can do. they can go direct to the users, our work. and see it in action..

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#5]
Just whilst we're on the showcase thing, I also don't think you should be able to submit a gallery entry without a demo. Anyone can get blitz to render a 1,000,000 poly mesh and .5 fps, whoopy doo. We've got a graphics showcase, static screenshots sit happily in there.

Let's see something moving. Let's see some game play, let's see some fx etc etc. You can't rate something on screenshots alone, you could have the best gfx in the world and a turkey of a game (please refer to games x,y and z for this). Likewise you could have crappy gfx but an amazing game that may inspire artists within the blitz community to contact the author and offer services.

Oh and the ablity to publish up to say 3 screenshots so you don't have multiple entries of the same demo/game dotted all over the gallery.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#6]
Sounds like a sensible idea to me.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#7]
I like the idea of the user being able to remove old screenshots. So when you post a more up to date screenshot you don't have multiple entries dotted over the gallery as Rob pointed out - just higher quality one's.

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#8]
Forget it, BRL doesn't listen to website-suggestions.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#9]
You're probably right Jeroen - but being able to delete screenshots is in their interest because it'll reduce the bandwidth they require for this site.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#10]
The problem is, this thread has not yet reached 60 replies. I find that once it passes that line, BRL people start posting.

Aymes(Posted 2005) [#11]
So whats wrong with just using the CodersWorkshop showcase? Shouldnt we ask for any issues we have with that to be fixed before trying to push BRL to create a new one?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#12]
@ Aymes, cos CWS aint Blitz, its multi platform for a start, secondly there are a lot of Pirate blitz users there so I think supporting any fora where these users live is a bad idea for blitz as a community and business.

Thats just my opinion tho. I spent just as much time there as here in the old days, although since its move its just sorta lost something.. not sure what tho. just dont feel the same.

While this site remains as helpfull and community minded as always.

So yeah I am all for beefing things up here. its about time ..

Aymes(Posted 2005) [#13]
It is multi platform (i guess you mean multi-language or something there), and I agree about the pirate users.

One the other hand isnt it good that blitz programs are getting showcased side by side to non blitz programs?

This at least shows that blitz stuff is at the very least, the same standard as any other language out there (imo).

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#14]

It is multi platform (i guess you mean multi-language or something there), and I agree about the pirate users.

One the other hand isnt it good that blitz programs are getting showcased side by side to non blitz programs?

This at least shows that blitz stuff is at the very least, the same standard as any other language out there (imo).

Of course I think any blitz advertisment is good, and well needed. I just dont think that we should have to use their showcase.

I also dont think BRL are doing themself any favours by not showcasing their users work for all to see, on their main index page.

Think for example, if the show case showed the top 3 voted on projects for that month at the top of the page, and an entry point into the main showcase bellow it.

The work getting the most votes is probably going to look stunning in some way, or be an awsome game to play or game idea, or even an amazing tool to use..

This has to be what BRL shows off....

Hell Swift should get a mention for his published work with lego. so should dont recall the autho but the sponge bob developer, as well as a few others that have gone out on a limb and made some really class games and then to top it off gotten the licence holders to buy em, lol thats priceless advertising.

Aymes(Posted 2005) [#15]
Thats true i suppose. Would be nice to see somewhere on the site.

Wasnt it retro64 who made the spongebob game? I thought it was an adaptation of their "best friends" game.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#16]
yeah thats the one..