New Goofy Gokarts physics

Community Forums/Showcase/New Goofy Gokarts physics

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have just modified the physics in my game Goofy gokarts, and I would like to hear how you find it. People complained that the karts turned and where in general to fast in the previous version. This is now corrected.
You also get to drive through 2 tracks, each 5 laps long, whereas it was only 1 track 5 laps long before.

Just some screenshots, if you havn't already seen them :-) (click to enlarge):

Screenshots are from the full version

Demo link:
Download Goofy Gokarts Demo 9.72mb

www.gameart.dk/goofygokarts

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#2]
I think it plays about twice as fast as it should. I think acceleration should be a slower process. One key aspect of these kind of games is the acceleration takes a while, so that if you lose your speed, you can fall behind quite a bit. I would also like to see some skidding at higher speeds.

Other than that, I think this is a great game. You should put together an SDK for people to make new tracks for.

EOF(Posted 2005) [#3]
The only thing I can comment on is the kart needs to be able to turn a shade quicker. It feels slightly too slugish on the turn. The pace of the game is fine by me though.

I agree that a certain amount of (gentle) skidding will add a bit more va va voom the the game.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#4]
Bit too fast for me - I prefer the more considered, trundling pace of the original SNES Mario Kart. Makes it easier to lineup victims for your powerups, as well. :)

I guess these things are all down to personal taste. Nice game, though.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#5]
I have snes mariokart, it's the definitive snes game. however at 150cc it isn't trundling...

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#6]
It's a very well put together and polished game. Good work. Here's my thoughts (i've not long woken up and that may have an influence here!).

The sliding seemed ok to me. The pace is fast, very fast, so fast that I found the only way to play was to floor the throttle and pray making it more of a twitch game than about driving - which I think is a point forgotten by some of the races above.

big10p raises a good point, it's hard to actually shoot another racer because aiming isn't something you get time for. Most of the weapons I fired seemed to only cause me problems on the following laps rather than the computers.

I'm not sure what i'd do in regards to the play speed of the game, it's not my taste but I can see what you are trying to achieve.

In terms of the demo it is very short, I won the first race I played and got thrashed on the second, then it was all over before I really had any chance to take it in. I'm not sure this is wise from a marketting point of view as the game didn't have a chance to make an impression on me before it was all over - given the nature of the game.

I dont know what to suggest to tweek that, but the fact that I came 1st and last and not a place inbetween on my first go suggests the competitors might need a wider spread, but it depends on what other players find too as playskill is a widely varied thing.

I think the lack of a difficulty setting in the demo is an error because shareware sells on gameplay and as I said earlier, playskill varies widely. A few options might increase the longevity of the demo.