2d skidcar

Community Forums/Showcase/2d skidcar

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hey, i created this little sliding 2d car just by using cos and sin and vectors kind of code. Just looking for suggestions and improvemnets.

UP arrow key to go forward, DOWN arrow key to reverse, LEFT and RIGHT arrow keys to turn left and right :o)

www.rosscrooks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/slidingcar1.zip

Hujiklo(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hey it's a start! All you have to do is keep tweaking and this game will just fall into your lap.
I know it's basic now but it's just begging for a few nice touches and orginal ideas - I'm sure you'll come up with some.

I just thought it would be great if you actually made a 3d polygon map - quite high detail. keep the over head view, add some shadow, put in jumps and particle water splashes etc and call it 'micro rally' or something...it's begging you - can't you hear it?

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#3]
Hehehe, it's extremely easy to port to 3d, as it's just using simple maths. I'll give that a shot :o) Thanks for the suggestion!

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#4]
Ok, here's a 3d super basic version. Same controls:

www.rosscrooks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/slidingcar3d.zip

Hujiklo(Posted 2005) [#5]
Yep - it's definitely worth experimenting to see what you can come up with at this stage.

Personally I'd make an undulating 3d landscape, banked turns and stuff but keep the exact overhead view...you can make the map bigger than the screen if needed and simply scroll like a normal 2d game...the effects and detailed touches you could pack into such a small neat concept would really make it stand out from the crowd.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#6]
That's very true man. I'm no modeller though... I'll do my best :o)

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#7]
Quite fun... You might consider unpacking the car from the box it was delivered in ;-)

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#8]
Nah, i'll just paint some wheels on it ;o)

Jams(Posted 2005) [#9]
That's really cool

I think it plays better with tyre_grip# = 35 and turn_speed = 1