Badminton & Tokamak

Community Forums/Showcase/Badminton & Tokamak

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello, I have been working on a badminton game lately (for 3 days), I havn't seen that many, (if any), of those around.
It is using tokamak for the physics.

Controls are:

Space - reset shuttlekock <--will not show @#!* :-)

Cursor keys or wasd and mouse - control player

Left Mouse button - shoot

Right Mouse button - jump

Arrow indicates strength and direction of shot, the further the "crosshair" is
from the player the more strength the shot will have.

Return - Spawn 40 shuttle@#!*s of vary sizes, just for fun :-)

The closer to the ground the "ball" is hit, the bigger angle the shot will have.
Ie if it is hit almost at the ground the angle of the shot will be very steap, and if
the "ball" is hit high up the ball trajectory will be "flat":

A screenshot:

just spawned 40 shuttlekocks

Download beta:
BadmintonBeta (1.18 Mb)

edit the "setup.ini" file to change screen resolution
default is 800x600 16bit.

No point system yet and only basic AI.

Anyway I like to hear how you find the control system, and what could be improved.

EOF(Posted 2005) [#2]
This is pretty easy to get to grips with. Took me about 30 seconds to get the shots going.

Improvements:

- I reckon the yellow cursor is not needed. I tend to look at the main arrow to judge where the shuttle wotsit(!) will go.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#3]
This has potential, I think. Don't know why there aren't many/any Badminton games - guess Tennis just has a much bigger audience. Hmmm.

I struggled with the controls, tbh. Maybe I just need a bit of practice. Didn't help that the character kept facing the wrong way - I couldn't get him to face his opponent. The potato-head players made me laugh, though. :)

[edit] Had another play and got used to the control a bit better - got some rallies going. Still find it difficult, though. Mainly having to move the player to the shuttlec0ck while having to judge shot speed and direction at the same time. Phew! Would it be possible to have the player automatically run to the shuttlec0ck? We need only judge shot direction/speed then.

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#4]
Getting a MAV at launch.

... seems to be the story of my life atm. {Radeon Mobility9000 in a Dell laptop}

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#5]
This has lots of potential.
Nice control system... It feels a bit odd though... I'm sure it'll feel better once you have all the animations and stuff in.

Nice physics :)

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thanks for your feedback, the control system takes a little while to get used to, but when you do it is not that difficult. But I am glad you managed to get to grips with it :-)
I could make it an option to whether the yellow arrow should be visible or not. Next up is scoring system and better AI. I have now added so the computer sometimes jump and smashes at you, quite fun :-)
I have also made it so the racket points at the shuttle when you hit it, this makes the animation so much nicer, as it looks like the racket is in fact hitting the shuttle.