Stunt Car Racing DEMO - thread part 2

Community Forums/Showcase/Stunt Car Racing DEMO - thread part 2

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#1]
continued from here - http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=51501

EOF(Posted 2005) [#2]
that's a cool sound, jb. Do you have a version that doesn't increase in pitch (ie. one that loops)?
This is about as near as I can get - Looped turbo sound
It loops nicely and sounds more or less like the other one when you start to raise the pitch.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#3]
Vorderman. You must know you are onto a good thing here with this game now because of the sheer number of posts. I reckon a fair few of your first sales will be from this very forum!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#4]
I have absolutely no idea why it choses to MAV, I almost scrapped the project it happened on when i stumbled on the cause.

I suspect its something to do with how memory is protected between win98 and winXP.

Also, I beleive something in the way blitz works doesnt like it when the VEH.Vehicle type gets modified, so when NEXT is issued, it gets confused and chucks up.

I can't think of anything else. Getting a MAV on a NEXT line should never happen anyway :/

I really hope it can be fixed man. Your demo totally kicks ass!

[edit]

and Nope, it doesn't sound like this is a problem, Just make sure all the Types that your functions are using have them set to local wherever possible.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#5]
Could this be an issue related to this for/next type loop bug discussed here?
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=51198

As long as the updatevehicle() function isn't deleting or moving type instances in the list, I can't see how it can MAV. :/

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#6]
in that thread Mark says there is a bug with FOR..EACH loops, so perhaps the newest B3D update will solve this MAV problem.

I'll leave it alone for now as I'm totally stumped anyway - I'm sure my program doesn't do anything naughty or particularly different to normal, and for it to only happen on XP is also strange. I'll wait for the B3D update then compile a new demo and see if that still causes problems in XP.

thanks for your help people.

jb: thanks for the new SFX, I'll try it in the game and see how it turns out.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#7]

As long as the updatevehicle() function isn't deleting or moving type instances in the list, I can't see how it can MAV. :/

Neither can I, but it does in the racer.

and no, at the point of the error, Updatephysics isnt actually updating the physics, just doing some checks, using VEH, which at the time was global, and unfortunately, the FOR loop was using it....um.... yeh.... lol.

No idea :/

Found an old pic i threw together when it very first happened:

lol...

[edit]

Didn't click at the time, but that bug report is almost certainly about what caused the issue. I *really* hope it sorts it!

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#8]
Still no keyboard/mouse demo? If you post one, make sure to update the top post Vordeman. Lots of us would like to try it also!

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#9]
yeah, i finally got to play it on a friend's computer who hada joypad - was fun but respawning at the beginning was a bit annoiying - I'm sure thats just because this is an early release - but don't forget to add some more respawn points.

I could never quite get past the dirt which was always sliding me off.

Oh, and mouse support would work fine. Just use the mouse's X as the joytick X and make button one accelerate, button 2 brake, button 3 turbo

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#10]
Keyboard first.... :)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#11]
I just shelled out for a joypad just to play this (no pressure Vorderman, but better be good :) )
Just waiting for the PS2 to PC joypad converter to come now...

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#12]
Am i the only oen who was dissapointed with the PS>PC Converters!? o.O;;

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#13]
There's a problem with them?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#14]
The one i had was hyper-responsive to the analogue stick, and would move around in the center when the control was centered. It was unusable. Sounds like i had a faulty one though. That or my joypad was on its last legs/buttons.

Anyhow, thats Off Topic. :)

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#15]
Mine works fine Nomen, it includes a fully customizable driver, adjustable sensitivity and vibration plus button re-mapping etc. Cygnus must have a crappy converter, sorry Cyg ;)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#16]
I don't have a crappy converter, ok? You know how i know?

I took it back, and don't own one anymore!!! :D lol.

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#17]
LMAO :D

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#18]
My current controler is ace. I don't know what it is off hand but IMO its better quality than the PS2 pad and well worth the £20 i paid for it. No flaws, strong, nicely placed buttons (except start/select ones which are a tad too far up, but theyre fine really) that react nicely to the touch, and two strong Analog Sticks.

I love it.

I think its a Logitech somert. ^.^

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#19]
Well I hope I don't have any problems - sorry for taking this thread off topic... back to Stunt Car Racer....

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#20]
Âhm could someone please tell me:

What a reasonable priced + good pad for Stunt Car Racer is?
I'm thinking of buying one... :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#21]
Grisu, this is the one I use - I forget how much I paid but it wasn't expensive.

http://europe.thrustmaster.com/eng/d_prd.php?p=T39&fam=5

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#22]

19,90 € via amazon

But I dislike the stick... a cheap one for 9,99 shall do i hope... or any other suggestions?

Sorry for the thread hijack, but it has to do with the game! :)

trb(Posted 2005) [#23]
UNBELIEVABLE...this is just simply amazing! I have a lower end system (p3 1 ghz 64 mb radeon) and it ran incredibly smooth. steady 30 fps..only slowdown was inside view, but not much. Very realistic handling..more so than a lot of other games I've played (primarily console racers). My best trick so far is riding the edge hanging by two tires :) Great job, I will definitely be buying this.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#24]
Thanks trb, good to hear it runs well on a slower system.

I can't believe you guys are buying joypads to play it.... :) please calm down, I only get a chance to work on it every now and then and the chances of it getting finished for a long time are pretty slim.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#25]
Are they putting too much pressure on you? :P hahaha. Lets face it, they needed a Pad anyway. I couldnt live without mine.

Okay, maybe i could, i'd just not play any games.

nawi(Posted 2005) [#26]
I like it :). Used Sidewinder wheel and worked great. Even though I had to accelerate and break with buttons, not pedals :/. What I dont like about the physics is that even the smalle bumb, like polygons in turn seem to lose the control of the car completely for a small moment. You get used to this but still its annoying.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#27]
In general is it possible to do force feedback with Blitz?

Might be nice to add that as well. :)

nawi(Posted 2005) [#28]
There was a dll for that but it costed like 20$ or something

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#29]
I just tried the forcefeedback dll myself and it appears to me that it might have some problems with Blitz3D under Windows XP Pro, i've notified the author so hopefully it will be fixed soon but given the problems getting this game to work with XP atm it might be wise to delay any implementation of FF for now or at least do some independant testing of it - it might just be my controller.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#30]
I use that DLL with no problems at all... and whats the prob with the $20 tag? I bought it without questioning it and it was worth it.

Becky, i've seriously never had a problem, so perhaps its your controller as you said :)

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#31]
So whats a good conroller with force feedback?
If I buy a pad I need that... :)

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#32]
>>Becky, i've seriously never had a problem, so perhaps its your controller as you said :)

I think it is my controller but the errors it produced with the demo's where strange and led me to question it's XP compatabillity, I'll know more when the author replies. I know my controller isn't officially supported in XP - that's the price I pay for buying a Microsoft controller - but it does work with most force feedback racing games.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#33]
Joystick came today - love this game! Could do with a few tweeks but it's sweet as a nut. Love the engine sound and feel of it. Keep up the good work - this could sell well if completed IMO.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#34]
I bought a cheap cheap joystick (15 eur) just to try this... Maybe Vorderman should work with promoters of Logitech or something...

I think we're not really buying joysticks just to try your demo but instead your Demo is a good reminder that we might have fun using a joystick. Now i played Indiepath Asteroids with the joystick and i got over 20000 points. Much more fun. Now, does anyone know where i can get Super Nintendo (SNES) roms? If that isnt too illegal to ask?

Oh and Vord, i'm making a free stencil shadow system, i think it will go great with your game.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#35]
Tried it! Wow that put a smile on my face. :)

The loops are great but only when you drive them with the onboard camera. The physics are amazing but like someone said already, it does feel like the car is too light and tends to not stick to the road. If you could make it feel heavier but everything else the same, it would be great. Or at least try.

I even managed to get from the first rise (after the corner) to jump over to the other part of the track by using turbo, flying, hitting the top of the paved curvy road and falling onto the gravel road below :P fun! But before i managed to get a grip on the car it took me at least 15 minutes and i was about to give up. Certainly make some easier levels for beginners. It also may be that my PS-like joystick has overly sensitive sticks which i dont know how to config.

Scenery will sell this game if you include something nice. Like islands palm trees, and crazy stuff, nicely textured. Would also be cool if you could make normal tracks with ground around them so that when you go off the track you loose a little time but not have to go all the way back. I suppose you can also reset the car to where it was but some normal racing tracks would also be fun. Especially with tunnels and stuff, but i know thats a lot of work. Still, you gotta know that people who play racing games above all judge them by their graphics, more than other genres are judgjed.

Excelent job, Vords, never quit on this.

Geehawk(Posted 2005) [#36]
To my mind the car felt too heavy, and seems very planted on the road.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#37]
It feels heavy sideways but light updownways, maybe. Nothing really seriously bad, just small advice.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#38]
Oh and Vord, i'm making a free stencil shadow system, i think it will go great with your game.

Cool, stencil buffer shadows would look really good.

it does feel like the car is too light

To my mind the car felt too heavy

OK, so I'll assume the car feels about right then :)

Anyway, I think I found the cause of the MAV on XP, so I'll start a new thread to see if we can find why.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#39]
I've posted a new thread about the MAV errors in WinXP, and I think I may have sorted it - can you guys have a look here (http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=51803) and try the new EXE (with a new track for you to play also!) and see if you still get a MAV. Thanks.

You'll need to unzip the new files into the root of the old SCR demo (YOU NEED THE COMPLETE PREVIOUS SCR DEMO) and overwrite the exported_track.b3d file, then run the new EXE (SCR_winXP.exe) normally (ie. NOT in win98-compat mode).

Hopefully you'll no longer get MAVs when loading.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#40]
Well, the new exe still works great on win98SE.

Just have to see what the XP MAVers get. :P

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#41]
The new exe also works but the biggest problem is the screen saver :P

And now that it is a small windowed mode , i have AA off, i noticed a black line connecting two track parts! So you know what to do.

Played about 30 laps now, on the new track. Kept trying to jump over the double jump in one go and only in external camera did i notice its actually two jumps(!). Nearly made it in one go once or twice :)

Vectrex(Posted 2005) [#42]
btw people, I got it to work on XP by setting the compatibility mode to win95 :) (rightclick-properties)

Vectrex(Posted 2005) [#43]
oh btw, looking awesome. When there's some more sounds it'll really add to it (crunch!). Plus tilting the car might work well.
One suggestion is to increase the polys a fair bit on the corners as the physics doesn't handle them too well (just physics polys would do). It should be alot smoother with more.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#44]
Looks nice... Although even though I can see why it would be too complicated to get proper steering to work with a keyboard, you may want to look at putting at least some of the controls on the keyboard -- for example, I have a two-button joystick. I can steer, accelerate, turbo... but no brakes, which is pretty crucial for a racing game.

If nothing else, put you may want to associate the (far) 'down' on the joystick with (hand)brake or something, for those of us who don't have a joystick that rivals their keyboard in # of buttons. ;-)