Star Trek The Game

Community Forums/Showcase/Star Trek The Game

Cruis.In(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hey I started a star trek game some months ago when I was learning blitz max. Unfortunately I cannot continue at this time due to work commitments, I am wondering if anyone is interested in finishing it.

The game is a top down, supposed-to-be multiplayer action game, where klingons romulans federation etc battle, I have all the graphics and sounds on my hard drive with half integrated into the game so you can see the direction I was going in. If anyone is interested Ill give all the code and contribute the sounds and graphics for the remaining stuff.

All it needs now is multiplayer, combat(collision) balancing from that point of view and content, like home planets which are all graphics I have.

I got alot of help from Scouse... I have a demo I can give to anyone plus screen shots on request.
email: 1500@...

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#2]
Have you any idea how strict Paramount are about Star Trek licenses?

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#3]
exactly, shame but true.

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#4]
Tobias Richter got away with it, why cant he ? ... Ah yes, 25 years of realising they missed out on sales when Tobias Richter wrote a game that satisfied the market for so long...

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#5]
I looked up T.Richter on mobygames and there didnt seem to be any star trek games there

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#6]
It was a historical reference: Tobias Richter was a fery well known 3d modeller back before many end users knew how to 3d model, almost everything he did was Star Trek based and he eventually wrote an Amiga based Star Trek adventure game using his models and some TV grabs which he released as freeware. I think it is in part responsible for the infamy of Tribbles.

It proved so popular we've been getting official Star Trek games ever since, although in fairness it was bound to happen sooner or later anyway.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#7]
It's a real shame that the majority of those Star Trek games have nothing to do with Star Trek other than teleportation technology and phasers... They may as well just be Star Wars, or (OMG!) a completely new franchise specifically for games!!

I am hoping that the MMORPG works out and has a slightly more Star Trek feel to it...

Cruis.In(Posted 2005) [#8]
if you dont make money off of a little game like this, paramount wouldn't bother, there are so many fan made games out there.

9572AD(Posted 2005) [#9]
if you dont make money off of a little game like this, paramount wouldn't bother

You might be thinking of a different Paramount than we're thinking of. ;)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#10]
I think it is in part responsible for the infamy of Tribbles
but the tribbles was aclassic episode way before the Amiga ever existed (and C64 for that matter). Do you mean he caused some kinda resurgence of interest in them? Hey, anyone see that cool DS9 episode with th tribbles where Kirk opens the hatch and Sisko throws a few out at him?

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#11]
if you dont make money off of a little game like this, paramount wouldn't bother, there are so many fan made games out there.

If you really believed that, you would have asked permission.

mearrin69(Posted 2005) [#12]
Tribbles were famous long before...

Paramount are, or at least have been, extremely aggressive in protecting their ST copyrights - even against not-for-profit fan works. I know they took a lot of heat for their anti-fan-site campaign a couple of years ago so they might have relented some but I bet they're still pretty vigilant.
M

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#13]
" and he eventually wrote an Amiga based Star Trek adventure game"
lol. I also eventually wrote a space invaders clone ;)