Stunt Car Racing DEMO

Community Forums/Showcase/Stunt Car Racing DEMO

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#1]
OK, here's the demo - http://www.jameskett.dsl.pipex.com/SCR_Demo.zip

It's a 9mb download, no idea how much my Pipex account can take so it may go down at some point. Unzip it and run the EXE.

You'll need an analogue joypad or wheel to play it, control button assignments are shown on the screen. The track has no checkpoints so if you crash off you'll be reset at the start - sorry, but although the checkpoint and lap system works I haven't got the track editor placing the checkpoint markers yet.

There are a few issues that I know of -
1. some of the track segments have no underside, so you can see through them, which can look a bit odd
2. the brakes are a bit severe at times, but you learn to compensate for that. Use the handbrake instead - much more fun!
3. The tyre smoke can be spawned in mid-air also, needs a tyre->track contact check.
4. The in-car camera (view number 1) can glitch a bit when the car is upside down around the loop - I need to sort that at some point once I work out what's wrong with it.

Here's the demo track layout with some hints -

Enjoy!

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#2]
woot.... testing in a few secs... :p

regaa(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yeehah, now i can drive the 147 laps by my self :D .

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#4]
WOOT!!!

Downloading now :)

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#5]
No Keyboard control? Boo .... will need to dig out the PS2 pad....

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#6]
I've been waiting for this one :) YAY! I've downloaded it and will try it out in the morning.

One of my mornings that is, not *actually* the morning. *mkay* :)

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#7]
I got a MAV after playing for a while.. It happened when I drove off the track for the n'th time (probably 50 times or so.. I'm not sure as I didn't exactly count..)

I never got around the track though.. I was too busy trying to skid through the corners.. hehe :p
And also, I found that the loop was a difficult task.. didn't manage that one either.. LOL

Very cool game though... :D

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#8]
Awesome!

regaa(Posted 2005) [#9]
Ahhhhh, awesome game but no keyboard control, i.e. impossible to play. Why? Why did you do that? You can't expect that everybody have a pad. I hadn't one the last 10 years :( .

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#10]
Dam, sorry. I'd love to test, but no PC controller here... :o( Looks good though.

Anatoly(Posted 2005) [#11]
That's great! I'm not into racing games, but this is so cool!
And I knew that when I was bying my gamepad to play Psychonauts that I will use it for something else! ;-)
Great stuff! I love the summersault thing...

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#12]
I have a few PC pads just for making my games ... works great!

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#13]
pad, wheel, joystick - they all should work just fine - it's any form of analogue PC controller.

I tried a keyboard input mode in the past but it's very very hard to get the car to stay on the track without analogue steering.

I'm using a Playstation 2 pad via a Joybox, and also a Driving Force USB wheel.

I think that virtually all racing games are unplayable without some form of analogue controller, unless you're talking about a real arcade racer like Trackmania - once the physics start getting a bit more involved keyboard controls become a real problem.

If I get the chance I'll have a dig through the code and see if the keyboard input code is still there and if it can be made to work.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#14]
Perhaps use the mouse to turn the wheels ... and take away the auto return to center.

regaa(Posted 2005) [#15]
No pad, wheel or joystick available^^. In NFS you can also control the car with the keyboard. It is not the best way, because of no analogue controling, but it is a possibility. You can fake a soft handling ( blub#:+.1 ). Pleeeeease

big10p(Posted 2005) [#16]
Yoink!

This is great - I haven't managed to complete a lap yet, though. :P

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#17]
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FINALLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYY!!!! TRYING OUT NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Murilo(Posted 2005) [#18]
I get a "Memory Access Violation" and it bombs out :(

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#19]
This is totally killer! Feels much like the original, but better looking, lots. But no keyboard support, what the heck? The old SCR worked fine without analogue controls.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#20]
Sniff... it's beautiful. Can't for the life of me get it to go around that loop, but I'll keep trying... because I have to...

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#21]
Stunning job so far Vorderman!

Are you planning to finish and release it?

It'll sell like hotcakes, especially with a track editor.

@folks with no pads: Why don't you buy one of these? Surely you have an XBox/PS2/GC?

Matthew Smith(Posted 2005) [#22]
That awesome Vorderman! - made me dig out the crappy 2 button joystick I got 12 years ago to play it!

An option for keys would be good though!

N(Posted 2005) [#23]
I wish I had a joystick right about now. Oh well, racing games are no fun with a keyboard anyway.

regaa(Posted 2005) [#24]
doh! now i have to buy a controler. Oh my god. This would be my first :p. Can't figure out how to stick in the snes controler :p. other pads i do not have :( . Can someone let me try your controler ? or i will hack scr to put in the keyboard device :p.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#25]
I was exceited to see this but unfortunatly I get a MAV dialog as soon as it runs. My specs are XP SP2, P4 3.2GHZ, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, Audigy 2. Should work really? Hope this helpes solve it.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#26]
No keypad. :-?

Wayne(Posted 2005) [#27]
download stops at 3.32 mb

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#28]
to all you people without a joypad.. BUY ONE!
You know it makes sense and I'm sure you'll have use for it in other games as well.. :)

Sweenie(Posted 2005) [#29]
Yeah! I just bought the 3 in 1 converter(PS/PS2, GC & Xbox)... and I can even use all three at the same time. ;)
This game better be good... nah, just kidding.
I needed a new pad anyway since my old one was designed for a canadian lumberjack with hands as large as a trashcan lid.

LineOf7s(Posted 2005) [#30]
Oh the synchronicity of it all! I was reading Sweenie's post just as I was listening to Monty Python's "Lumberjack Song". Surreal.

The challenge seems to be have thrown down to get around that loop. Now I have something to do when I get home from work. ;o)

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#31]
The loop is easy(ish) once you get the knack - turbo towards it and about 1/4 of the way in come off the turbo and straighten the car up, then jab the turbo to keep the speed up but don't hold it down or you'll be going to fast to correct your line.

If someone can do the loop under constant full turbo I'd be well impressed, esp. if they can video it so I can see - I've not managed it myself yet.

As for the MAVs - perhaps there is a memory leak in there that causes the crash after you've reset loads of times. Maybe I forgot to free something that gets reloaded each time.

I get a "Memory Access Violation" and it bombs out :(

@Daze : does this happen straight away when you run it? Very odd. Have you unzipped all the data into the right subfolders? There should be 6 or more subfolders and only about 3 or 4 files in the SCR_Demo root (the tokamak DLLs and the EXE).

I get a MAV dialog as soon as it runs.

@Grey Alien - as above for Daze - have you unzipped the files correctly into their subfolders? What's your machine spec? The game doesn't load much data or do anything that different to any other program I don't think. Have you had similar MAV problems with other B3D or Tokamak programs?

And finally, re. the KEYBOARD CONTROLS thing - OK OK OK, I'll have a look into the control mode and see if the keyboard stuff can be put back, if only to stop the moaning :)

Red(Posted 2005) [#32]
the car are sliding on the flat ground if you don't move.

Mark Judd(Posted 2005) [#33]
MAV here for me i'm afraid - soon as it fires up.

Specs :- P4 3.2, XP Pro, PCI Radeon X300 (64Mb), DX 9.0c

Archive unzipped using folder structure no problem.

I've used TOKAMAK with B3D on my own projects on this machine without any trouble (both during development and compiled versions).

Arrgh - really looking forward to trying this !!!!

cheers

Funky Frank

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#34]
Woooooootwoootwootwootwootwootwooot. woooooot!

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#35]
perhaps a problem with XP and MAVs?

mrtricks(Posted 2005) [#36]
Would love to test but I too don't have a pad.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#37]
Same for me: MAV here for me i'm afraid - soon as it fires up.

:((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Murilo(Posted 2005) [#38]
@Daze : does this happen straight away when you run it? Very odd. Have you unzipped all the data into the right subfolders? There should be 6 or more subfolders and only about 3 or 4 files in the SCR_Demo root (the tokamak DLLs and the EXE).

I get a black screen briefly (full screen) and then it drops back to the desktop with the MAV error. All files and folders have extracted from the ZIP successfully.

FYI: Windows XP SP2, 3.2Ghz P4, 1Gb Ram, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128Mb), Audigy 2

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#39]
???

Works fine for me in XP, specs in sig...

LineOf7s(Posted 2005) [#40]
:o(

MAV.

Exactly the same symptoms as Daze. Specs in sig.

regaa(Posted 2005) [#41]
I had a Mav too, but turning on compatibility mode for win98 seems to solve the problem.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#42]
Are you guys turning around at the start to go around the loop? I can't even get to the loop if I drive the right way around the track - I keep skidding off on the dirt! :/

Mark Judd(Posted 2005) [#43]
Turning compatibility on for me worked as well - cheers regaa !!
This is very good, keep up the good work.

Funky Frank

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#44]
I too got a MAV, but running in win98 compatability mode fixed it. I use Windows XP Pro.

Graphics...Superb
Texturing...AA
Sounds...Superb
Controlling stock car with brake bias button...Ouch

This is shaping up brilliantly, but i'm not a gamepad user I use a wheel and sadly to accelerate and brake I had to use some pretty strange finger work, i'd really appreciate it if you could add user defined controls soon.

The texturing really is stunning, and the reflection on the bodywork is great (does it fade out as the car gets dirty I wonder?).

Already I yearn for that most important of stunt car racer game mechanics... the multiplayer (maybe even 8 car net play? Go on you know you want too ! :) ).

If I can find any fault at all outside of the controls being for a gamepad, it would be just a few very minor points, and really the only reason I mention these is because i've got nothing else to moan about... !

Minor point A: In cokcpit view going over sand is like strobe lighting, the particle system doesn't suite the view mode, but I think it's probably the most important view.

Minor point B: The car suffers oversteer, that's not too innacurate given it's short/wide wheelbase appearance, but it made throwing the car into corners hard very unforgiving - meening it wanted to be driven smoothly, rather than boy racer style.

Minor point C: The engine overrun backfires want to be a bit more meaty considering there be flames coming out of that exhaust, I want a *BANG*, and at the moment it crackles like a fireworks night sparkler. The sound is right, it just wants some volume.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#45]
Vorderman: I unzipped correctly don't worry about that. I posted my specs, they are almost the same as VIP3Rs and it works on his. Seems I'm not they only one getting MAV on boot up too. Shame. Look forward to it working!

[edit] Win98 compatibility works! wooo. Sound is a bit funny, makes a kinda constant crackling and sounds like its echoey (is the reverb on purpose). Haven't played it properly yet as my joystick was uncalibrated, but first impressions are WOW!

Note that I manage to almost fall off the side so my car was rotated 90 degrees sideways (barrel roll) and I drop along the edge of the track really quite far, round corners etc with just the uppermost two wheels clinging on. Maybe it should just fall off!

big10p(Posted 2005) [#46]
Woo! Just played again and got a nice shiny RED car. Every time I played last night, it was green.

As becky brought up the subject of minor niggles: has anyone else noticed the tyres on one side of the car are on the wrong way round? The chevron tread in the centre points forward on the left side, and backwards on the right. Not that it matters. :)

Note that I manage to almost fall off the side so my car was rotated 90 degrees sideways (barrel roll) and I drop along the edge of the track really quite far, round corners etc with just the uppermost two wheels clinging on. Maybe it should just fall off!
Nah! That's all part of the fun - trying to drive around, hanging off the edge by two wheels. :P

LineOf7s(Posted 2005) [#47]
Win98 Compatibility worked here too. I'm ashamed to have not thought to try that. *hangs head*

Apart from the fact I haven't made it around the track yet (damn you, Difficult Jump!), this is one sweet sweet Blitz concoction. On a stick.

Ms Rose seems to have copied off my notes, so I agree with everything she said. Especially user-defined controls: the appeal of RSI isn't what it once was, and with the amount I'll likely play this, it's a real possibility.

Especially once multi-player is in. ;o)

Excellent work - avoid terrorism hot-spots until you get it finished.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#48]
MAN OH MAN OH MAN!!!!

this is even better than the screenshots!!!

GREAT JOB V!!! verrrry challenging... great graphics... nice sounds and feel...

ran great on GeForceFX5200 WinXP CeleronD 2.5 GHz system...

i expect to see this out on the shelves in time for the holiday rush :)

[added]
nahhh... i gotta add some more... this thing's got the thrills of being on a roller coaster without the reassurances of being locked to a track... turbo up the first hill, not tooo much, then ready for the turn... then that first down grade... really well done...

i'm scared of heights, and this game is so good, i can feel the fear rising :)

again... GREAT JOB!!!

now, if you'll excuse me for a sec... i've gotta do some more... testing :)

--Mike

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#49]
Mr. Vorderman,

make a version with mouse analgue control for steering and release it! Damn it you! Many people like racing games dont have controllers of any kind, i used to be one of them (now i just dont like racing games so much).

I might buy a controller anyway if i run into one tho...

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#50]
Cool - I'm glad the Win98 compat. mode works - I was a tad concerned when I saw all the MAVs that cropped up - nice to know it can be sorted out.

make a version with mouse analgue control

I originally had mouse controls in, then I got a joypad so I removed it. I'll add it back in, along with keyboard controls.

has anyone else noticed the tyres on one side of the car are on the wrong way round

Blimey...picky or what? :)

going over sand is like strobe lighting

Yes, the dust particles were only added a couple of days ago, so they're not really sorted yet.

The car suffers oversteer

Yeah, oversteer is fun fun fun! Try yanking the handbrake into corners and holding the drift.

round corners etc with just the uppermost two wheels clinging on

All the track edges will be bevelled over a bit, so you can pull the car back onto the track and hopefully avoid this problem, but I've not done it yet. You should get loads more sparks that way.

By the way, did anyone notice that the body gives off showers of sparks if you manage to scrape it on the road?

Thanks for all the comments.

Mark Judd(Posted 2005) [#51]
Vorderman

The more I play it, the more I like it !

"3. The tyre smoke can be spawned in mid-air also, needs a tyre->track contact check."

You're welcome to my B3D / TOKAMAK code which checks for wheel / ground collision to create variable tyre marks on a contact mesh - you've probably got this covered already but if not drop me an e-mail.

Funky Frank

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#52]
>>I'll add it back in, along with keyboard controls.
Can you add support for joystick setup too please so I can use my wheel? Pretty please? I'll smile sweetly and being the internet you can even pretend i'm pretty... (My brake pedal is on a seperate axis btw)

>>Yeah, oversteer is fun fun fun! Try yanking the handbrake into corners and holding the drift.
In a not very fast kind of way yes ;). Will there be any vehicle setup options in the final version, like shock strength, castor angle and gear ratios and things?

LineOf7s(Posted 2005) [#53]
I'm glad the Win98 compat. mode works... nice to know it can be sorted out.

Uh, you're not going to rely on that fact, are you? No, surely not. :o)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#54]
..one gentle, quiet and sweet MAV here...

P4 2.8 GHz, 4gigz RAM, nVidia A310 256 MB VRAM, WinXP Pro

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#55]
Poop, one of my favourite games of all time and I can't play it. Lost my gamepad somewhere since I never use it :(

regaa(Posted 2005) [#56]
And because of the hint i gave i want now the keyboard controls in it :). But from what i saw till now ( in the look in the scenery mode :p ) it looks great. but the car slides a bit to the left side. Maybe the motor is the hell and use to bubble the car :), like a washung machine in the drying process :p.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#57]
hey... what is this Win98 compatability mode thing... and how do you enable and disable it...

i'm serious :) i never ever used it before...

thx

--Mike

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#58]
Right click the .exe and goto properties, it's in there in the compatability section.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#59]
Uh, you're not going to rely on that fact

I can't understand why everybody who uses XP getting a MAV unless they use this compatibility mode? Is this a normal thing for Blitz programs?

If not, anyone know how can I solve it? I can't see why my program should produce this on so many PCs, unless there is something inherent to B3D that doesn't like XP? Is it because B3D is based on DX7 and not DX9?

You're welcome to my B3D / TOKAMAK code which checks for wheel / ground collision to create variable tyre marks on a contact mesh

Thanks for the offer - I have some skidmark code that I made ages ago that might work, if not I'll drop you an email.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#60]
aaaahhhh... thanks Becky...

hey V... no MAV here... and i didn't even know there was such as thing as a Win98/95 compatibility mode

--Mike

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#61]
I've never had any problems with B3D exes running on WinXP (Home), definitely never needed compatibility mode. Certainly a very weird issue, what does the 'dx7test.dll' do? Maybe it's upsetting something somewhere?

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#62]
I'm not having any problems. The dx7test isn't a profiler is it? Aerial antics suffered from using a propfiler that didn't work properly. LOADS of people had problems with it.

Of course your DLL may not be a profiler at all, and it ran great on my XP system (well as far as I can tell without a gamepad :)

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#63]
It's the DLL to let me set the mipmapping to a nicer mode, rather than use the B3D default - the DLL was made by somebody here and released publically.

I might try a version of the game without this DLL....

OK - can you try this new EXE please - http://www.jameskett.dsl.pipex.com/SCR_exe2.zip

it doesn't use the dx7 DLL anymore, so perhaps it will work OK on XP without the compat. mode and without MAVs. If somebody can try and let me know either way?

Edit : please delete the DX7TEST.DLL file from your SCR_Demo folder, just in case it's causing a problem.

Anatoly(Posted 2005) [#64]
I ran the original version fine on XP... With all files intact... Weird! :-/

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#65]
People might be getting a MAV if you have textures with sizes of non-square values. Newer cards seem to have dropped this support, and Jeremy had to fix it recently for his AA demo. I wouldnt want you to add mouse/kbd support only to run into a MAV like that!

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#66]
The new .exe worked for me without entering compatability mode. I was a user previously afflicted. That clears it for XP Pro anyway :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#67]
Vorderman, cool demo, but its not giving my soundcard time to breath, and the sound is totally crunching out..

Add a "Delay 1" after your flip? :) thats all it takes for me anyway.

[edit]

Yeah, sorry vorderman, i meant to Email you regarding a few issues i had with that DLL recently. Sorry bout that.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#68]
The new .exe worked for me without entering compatability mode

Thanks for testing it - if a few more people can confirm the same thing then I hope that clears up the major MAV problem.

Add a "Delay 1" after your flip? :) thats all it takes for me anyway

Will that not slow the mainloop down? If it makes no odds then I'll give it a try. Do you know why your soundcard has this problem? I assume it's not a new soundcard?

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#69]
now this is the FIRST driving kind of game made in Blitz done well. It feels awesome, the sound design is excellent!!!

Some glitches: tire squeekes when it shouldnt happen (too slow speed for squeeks) and on-the-road sound when flying in the air.

With multiplayer this is going to kick some serious butt.

Love it.

Genexi2(Posted 2005) [#70]
Piccy

Nothing like riding the side of the road....had that happen to me on more then one occasion. =\

Anyhow, same comments as above, excellent demo, everything just feels "right" on my gamepad. Though, there anychance you'll implement analogue acceleration in a later version? Too used to using both analogues on my PS2-controller here for driving, left for steering, right for accel/decelleration.

[EDIT] Just noticed the drivers butt goes through the car, gave me quite the laugh.

Forgot to mention that I love the @#!*pit view, it's perfect.

[EDIT2] Now when did we ever have censorship on words in this forum. =\

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#71]
What the hell, it doesn't run with a mouse and keyboard?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#72]
Forgot to mention that I love the @#!*pit view, it's perfect.

[EDIT2] Now when did we ever have censorship on words in this forum. =\
Ah, that probably explains why it takes so long for a post to get registered - does for me, anyway - they have to be scanned for naughty words. Well @#!* me! :P

Anyway, back on topic...

Genexi2(Posted 2005) [#73]
If someone can do the loop under constant full turbo I'd be well impressed,

I did, sorta, screwed up right at the end of the loop doing so.

Anyhow, came across a couple oddities, dont know if you know of them yet or not.

- Being able to drive around with your back-end of the cart sticking in the air. Weee

- Tires become unhitched if you speed off a ramp and hold the brake down upon landing. Doesnt really affect anything, just a graphical oddity.

- Braking in mid-air brings front-end of stunt car forwards, unsure if this was intentional or not.

- Hitting reverse makes your current engine flame (for lack of a better description) disappear instantly, rather then dispersing like when you hit the brake.

[EDIT]
Almost did entire loop with turbo, messed up at the very end though. Got no personal web-space here so using Put-File to upload the video to.
(used XviD compression by the way, just need a DivX codec I believe to play it)

http://media.putfile.com/scr

Forgot to mention I'm runnin WinXP SP2 here and didnt have to do the Win98 compatibility thing others may have had too.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#74]
Very nice - runs at about 20fps on my manky old pc in external views, and 10-15fps in the @#!*pit, which is still just about playable.

Minor point A: In cokcpit view going over sand is like strobe lighting, the particle system doesn't suite the view mode, but I think it's probably the most important view.

While it may not look that great, I do like the idea that you get sand in your face, and can't see so well. Also, it probably needs to fade out a bit when you switch back to tarmac. Oh, and in @#!*pit view the sand road is rather 'bland' and hard to make out where it's going, although I'm afraid I have no suggestions for what you do about that...

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#75]
New .exe works fine in non-compatibiliy mode! Sound is still crunchy on my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 however.

btw way I didn't remove the .dll, it worked with it.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#76]
New .exe works fine in non-compatibiliy mode!

Excellent, thanks for testing it. Seems like the DX7 DLL is the cause of the MAVs.

Tires become unhitched if you speed off a ramp and hold the brake down upon landing

Not seem that before, and it does look a it odd - the brake disks and axle really need to be aligned with the rear wheels.

the sand road is rather 'bland' and hard to make out where it's going

Yes, I thought the same thing - I'm going to remap the section and make it sandy in the middle and gravel at the edges so you can see which way the road goes, but at the moment it's tricky to see where to drive, especially using the bumper-cam (view 7 I think).

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#77]
Yeah, sorry vorderman, i meant to Email you regarding a few issues i had with that DLL recently. Sorry bout that.

Cygnus : did you write the DX7TEST DLL? Any idea why it fails under XP in non-compat. mode? If you could get it working that'd be great because the graphics in-game look so much better with the mipmapping set to anisotropic. B3D default is too blurred and with mipmapping off it's all a bit pixelated and sparkly.

I've been using the DLL for a while now because of the results it gives (although thinking back, that might explain why my Rally demo failed on many users PCs....)

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#78]
All that waiting but no keyboard support! arg! I've got a joystick and a gemepad, but no sound card to plug it in to :(

Looks awesome and fun... but that just makes things worse!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#79]
Vorderman, No, i didnt write it, Tom did i think,

The strange thing is, the DLL i [thought] i gave you is an exact copy of what i use in my racer.

Your original build didnt run... So i wonder whats different?

I've been using the DLL for a while now because of the results it gives (although thinking back, that might explain why my Rally demo failed on many users PCs....

Now i'm confused- I thought I sent you that in an email? Or did i not send it in the end? Haha, I've got a terrible memory.

Perhaps i should send you what I have got now, which seems to work fine. Last i heard, Tom was working some more on the DLL, not sure....

Anyway, I promised this before, but i think its about time i did it, I'll get a small peice of code that works on my computer, to enable anistropic mipmapping, then send it you, and we can see if that works? :)

It really does look better with it ^.^

Genexi2(Posted 2005) [#80]
I have to quit playing around with this thing.....managed to get my cars front-left tire stuck while doing the loop-de-loop, had Fraps up at the time too.

And after a minute of inching my car along the end of the loop, I managed to submerge it underwater. *Clicky*

Here's the vid of the loop-de-loop portion for those interested : http://media.putfile.com/scr2

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#81]
Nice demo. The sound effects are good but I've yet to get over the jump after the corner (Its rather hard) :)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#82]
..new .EXE downloaded and same thing again...MAV...

P4, 2.8 GHz. 4Gigz RAM, nVidia A310, 256 MB VRAM, WinXP Pro

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#83]
best driving game ever made in blitz! cant wait until its polished up ready for sale.

Wayne(Posted 2005) [#84]
Well done!

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#85]
Your original build didnt run... So i wonder whats different?

The only difference was that I renmoved the calls to the DX7TEST.DLL file (to enable anisotropic mipmapping) - the EXE is identical in every other way, apart from the on-screen control listing text is not there.

Anyway, I promised this before, but i think its about time i did it, I'll get a small peice of code that works on my computer, to enable anistropic mipmapping, then send it you, and we can see if that works? :)

Excellent - thanks very much - can you send it to my works email please - jkett<at>pitbull.co.uk

managed to get my cars front-left tire stuck

Woah, you almost made it - I think you hit something hard enough to break Tokamak's collision and imbed the tyre in the road. I can't really see any way around that apart from making it break the wheels off if you hit something hard enough, which would then mean either continue on 3 wheels or reset.

I managed to submerge it underwater

Yes the reset check is currently just based on height, so the car needs to drop vertically far enough under the water before it gets reset - looks like you've got it just above that point. I suppose a car->water collision check would help avoid that problem.

..new .EXE downloaded and same thing again...MAV...

Does the Win98 compatability mode work for you? Everyone else seems to find the new EXE works as is on XP, and the old one worked in compat. mode. Perhaps there is something specific to your system....what sort of card is an nVidia A310? It's not a laptop I assume?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#86]
You'r E-mail should arrive sometime on sunday- Sorry for the long wait, but iv'e got a family meeting later, staying over till sunday. I wont be home until then.

By the way, Those of you above who set compat mode, did you remove it again before running the new EXE? the new EXE inherited the old ones compat settings on my system.

(which still crashes with the new EXE Btw.)

Cheers.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#87]
Voderman..

nVidia A310 is 5600FX chip..its not laptop..and I did try just now on my another machine(not laptop too) and again MAV...this is another machine spec., P4, 2.8 GHz, 1Gig RAM, ATI Radeon 9600XT, 128 Mb VRAM, WinXP Pro...
maybe problem is coused by fact that on both machines I dont have attached any gaming device (Joypad, Joystick...) so if your program doing some check for that devices, it couse crash...Win98/Me compatibility mode working fine..

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#88]
Cygnus: Big doh to me! Yup I forgot to remove compatibility mode and the new .exe. still crashes with it off! Also deleted dxtest.dll but it made no difference.

Mark Judd(Posted 2005) [#89]
Still get the MAV even with the new .exe

Specs again (save you trawling back up)
P4 3.2, XP Pro, PCI Radeon X300 (64Mb), DX 9.0c

Hope you get this sorted, back to compatibility mode for some more fun....

cheers

Funky Frank

DarkMere(Posted 2005) [#90]
Just to confuse things for you Voderman. Both demo versions work perfectly on my system using XP. If it does have anything to do with the comments of Naughty Alien a few postings above, I do have a gaming device attached to the computer.

Specs
P4 3.0, XP Home, Radeon 9800XT (128MB) DX 9.0c

Love the demo :)

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#91]
If someone can do the loop under constant full turbo I'd be well impressed,

Sorry but i've dedicated my loop runs to the art of landing on the road that runs through the middle of the loop.

So far I have only managed to do it by landing upside down.

I forgot to remove compatibility mode and the new .exe. still crashes with it off

I'm sorry, but I didn't realise the compat. mode prefferences would be kept when I put the new file in so I did this too. :( Turning the compat. mode off does still give me a MAV. Sorry for the confusion this may have caused, I just didn't know.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#92]
Perhaps you should release a debug EXE so we get a decent error msg for you to work from? :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#93]
cyg: good idea.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#94]
OK, I'll post a debug EXE tonight sometime if I get the chance.

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#95]
@naughty alien. are you sure you are unzipping the file with the folder structure intact ?

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#96]
Waiting for the Debug exe... and please upx the exe too! :)

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#97]
Here's a DEBUG exe - http://www.jameskett.dsl.pipex.com/DEBUG_SCR.zip

Hopefully it might give a better error than just the typical MAV, so if anyone can get it to crash...?

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#98]
Fullscreen mode engaged, then MAV :( Sorry

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#99]
Works now for me.
But I dont have a joypad... :(((((((((((((((((

Sign Keyboard petition here... x :D

big10p(Posted 2005) [#100]
That's weird: how can simply compiling a debug version make it work? :/

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#101]
If the last version worked OK then the new version will too...

The problem isn't effecting everyone.

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#102]
Make the damn keyboard support that I can play, intead of watch the car and the track and keep hitting space! ... :)

Otherwise ... great job!

big10p(Posted 2005) [#103]
But Grisu hasn't got it working before. Maybe the problems to do with running in fullscreen, seeing as debug runs in windowed mode?!

big10p(Posted 2005) [#104]
Make the damn keyboard support that I can play, intead of watch the car and the track and keep hitting space! ... :)
Buy a joypad, tight-wad! :)

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#105]
Damn this constant upgrading to play the latest and greatest... first you have to by new GFX card every few years and now what?!? A JOYPAD? :) damn it... Okay... I'll get one.... won't be eating this month though...

big10p(Posted 2005) [#106]
lol. I feel guilty, now. :P

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#107]
Bah, get a steering wheel, an FF one at that.

Afterall if you dont eat, why should your kids?

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#108]
debug version tries to go into fulllscreen mode and then gives MAV in small dialog. Same as other versions.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#109]
Oh i hate these kinds of things..... ¬.¬

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#110]
Whoah! The car model looked very solid and I've just got around to testing the demo. The handling's also very solid - rather than a horrible floaty feeling you sometimes get with racing games.

The truth is I love this game :-D (never played the original) although I keep flying off the track at the moment - it's my own fault but it's great fun. :-D

I think you should be contacting publisher's with the demo - I'd certainly buy it when it's finished based on what I've seen so far.

btw ignore these people complaining about no keyboard option - who the hell wants to play a racing game with the keyboard?! You wouldn't like controlling the mouse pointer with the arrow keys would you?

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#111]
Maybe you can find a publisher rhat can include a joypad? ;)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#112]

never played the original

I'm bringing tar -- can someone else get the feathers... ?

Genexi2(Posted 2005) [#113]
I think you hit something hard enough to break Tokamak's collision and imbed the tyre in the road. I can't really see any way around that apart from making it break the wheels off if you hit something hard enough, which would then mean either continue on 3 wheels or reset.

I'd say breakable parts to the cart would be wicked guaranteed that it only occurs under extreme circumstances, actually managed to get another tire stuck in the road doing what Becky was trying to do. The fact the tire got stuck that way kind of worries me though, it was nowhere near as hard an impact as that last vid I posted.
(got any other maps with some really "extreme" jumps I could screw around on?)

VirtualDub kept crashin on me for some reason using XviD compression this time (got no better plugins for it at the moment), but I managed to get it working under high compresison rate.

http://media.putfile.com/scr3

Also got another vid I captured the other day, where I rode the car along the side of the road for the whole beginning of the course up to the actual first jump. Might upload it if I get bored enough.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#114]
The original was a kind of one-off experience that you've either had or haven't and if you haven't, well ...

Murilo(Posted 2005) [#115]
Here's a DEBUG exe - www.jameskett.dsl.pipex.com/DEBUG_SCR.zip

Hopefully it might give a better error than just the typical MAV, so if anyone can get it to crash...?

It still just get a MAV with it!

I can run this in Win98 compatibility mode, but nothing else has worked so far :(

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#116]
I bought the joypad today... just to play this... (no, not really) :)

Anyway... this is one cool game. The car handling feels better than in most commercial racing games. You can turn this game into serious dollars if you finish this....

Good luck.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#117]
Thanks Bouncer, glad your joypad purchase wasn't wasted!

You can turn this game into serious dollars if you finish this....

What's the best route for publishing an indie game nowdays?

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#118]
Many routes and boring admin to too. Why not talk to Tim Fisher @ Indiepath as he may be able to help?

Binary_Moon(Posted 2005) [#119]
I think limiting it to joypad play is incredibly silly. I have a joypad but it's not analogue so my controls are exactly the same as those you would get using a keyboard. It would take ten minutes to add keyboard support, and then you'd never have to look at it again. Why not just add it and stop all the complaints?

Also removingthe mipmapping makes it look like it was made in DBC.

The physics (and digital controls) are pretty good, but being dumped at the start every time you fall off the edge is a bit of a git especially with the big jump. The only time I cleared it I sped straight up over a hump and into the water. I guess that once it's finished it won't be so punishing...

9572AD(Posted 2005) [#120]
Oh! That is superb!

And coming with an editor? I do believe the track from Hard Drivin' is gonna' be getting an update...

You should stick the original track into the next demo. Then it'll be retro goodness while we wait for the super stuff. :)

(BTW, where does the screenshot wind up? Or is that not working yet?)

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#121]
And start a new topic is nice... :)

Genexi2(Posted 2005) [#122]

(BTW, where does the screenshot wind up? Or is that not working yet?)

Screenshot key is F12 for me here, must be a typo he made in the provided demo, anyhow, they reside in the same folder of the EXE.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#123]
I think limiting it to joypad play is incredibly silly.

The fact that your joypad converts analogue to digital makes no difference to the game - at my end the program is tweaked to respond well to analogue steering, be it a joypad or a steering wheel. A straight conversion to keyboard controls just didn't feel right - I know this as I had it working with the keyboard originally and it was overly twitchy and more irritating than fun. In the end I decided to get a good feel with the controls most people play racing games with, namely analogue steering wheels or joysticks/pads.

Why not just add it and stop all the complaints?

I released the demo because a few people wanted to try the game out - I'm not interested in constantly tweaking it and releasing new demos because some people don't have a pad or wheel - as I've said before, I'll try the keyboard thing again, but when I get around to it.

Also removing the mipmapping makes it look like it was made in DBC.

How very helpful of you to point that out. If you read the thread completely you'll see it was removed to attempt to solve the MAV error, and I am currently waiting on a new DLL from Cygnus so it can be added back in again.

but being dumped at the start every time you fall off the edge is a bit of a git

Again, if you read the complete thread you'll note that I said there was no checkpoint system in the demo track, due to the placement of checkpoint markers not being implemented in the editor yet.

You should stick the original track into the next demo.

Which original track do you mean? One from the original SCR, or from Hard Drivin? I think adding the orginal SCR tracks would be pretty cool, not sure how to get the Drawbridge moving though.

where does the screenshot wind up? Or is that not working yet?

Yep it does work, but was it F11 or F12? I can't remember, but it saves a series of numbered bmps into the root SCR_Demo folder - you can grab as many screenies as you want per-session and it'll increment the filename number for you.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#124]
I'm sorry if that last post comes across as a bit angry, but please try to read the entire thread before posting comments like that.

This MAV thing is getting me down a bit - I really need XP to test the game on to find out why Grey Alien and others can't even get it to run in non-compat. mode.

EOF(Posted 2005) [#125]
I too purchased an analog pad to play this. I'm already wearing it out.

At the moment I'm having too much fun tanking it (with turbo) then slamming on the brakes to make the car fip forward :)

Don't feel too down Vorderman. This is a very exciting remake of a legendary game. Plus the fact that a couple of us have bought a joypad to get in on the action says it all.

Hope you suss the XP problem.

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#126]
Hey this was pretty freaking cool! It took me a while to realize that I needed a control pad to play this but it worked awesome!

Snarkbait(Posted 2005) [#127]
Brilliant. Looks and feels a lot better than many pro racing games I've played, even in it's bare-bones state. Quite easily one of the best implementations of Tokamak I've seen with b3d yet.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#128]

This MAV thing is getting me down a bit - I really need XP to test the game on to find out why Grey Alien and others can't even get it to run in non-compat. mode.

I have XP and that's never happened to me - and don't let it get you down. You have the basis of something very promising so just work through your code methodically and find the bug.

Windows XP Home Edition SP2, Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb 1024Mb RAM.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#129]
Make the vehicle more bouncy and lighter. The original stays in the air for a fair amount of time bouncing nicely onto the ground with that classic creaking suspension noise.[quote]

I have tested this in the past - I had the game setup so that it applied a slight vertical force upwards to the car when it was in midair, so it crashes heavily around the track but still floated over jumps. It felt a bit odd though and occasionally floated over bumps and didn't feel connected to the road. I could try again though, although the car then jumps twice as far and the tracks need to be massive.

[quote]the car tends to dip forward into the oncoming track. That makes it a little more thrilling because you get to look directly at the track fast approaching.

Now that's a nice idea - I'd been wondering why it didn't feel quite as 'WOAHHERECOMESTHEGROUND' as the original, and that's the reason - the car stays a bit too flat and you don't often get to see the landing approaching.

I did have it setup so you could influence the car's pitch in mid air using the throttle and brake, but I think perhaps making it tilt forwards by itself would be nicer - I shall try to add that feature ASAP.

EOF(Posted 2005) [#130]
but I think perhaps making it tilt forwards by itself would be nicer
Me too. Then its up to the player to learn the correct approach speed for each jump. Thats what makes SCR a satifying game to play.

I have a couple of sound effects for you. Ones a nice creaking noise and the other an alternative turbo boost sound. See what you think:

SCR SFX

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#131]
Hang on - where's that post gone that I just quoted from??? Someone suggested those ideas but now there is an image that wasn't there before in one post the ideas post has gone missing.

What on earth is going on with the Blitz forums today?

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#132]
jb: are you editing your posts a lot???? It's very confusing. Can you post a new reply each time?

EOF(Posted 2005) [#133]
Sorry Vorderman. I edited my post. I thought the suggestions might seem too critical considering the amout of work you must have already spent on this project.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#134]
The turbo sound I like - not for the turbo, but it does sound like the wind rush noise you get at speed, so if you don't mind I shall use it for that.

I shall have a play with the creak sound in a sound editor because it sounds a bit too much like a door opening and not metal bending, but with a bit of tweaking it might work well.

Thanks very much

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#135]
I thought the suggestions might seem too critical considering the amout of work you must have already spent on this project.

Exactly the opposite - suggestions to improve the game are always welcome, and that idea about tilting the nose down is terrific - one of those 'doh, that's why' things that's really obvious after someone else points it out.

EOF(Posted 2005) [#136]
Had another play with turbo sound. I'm trying to come up with something which sounds as though the whole engines gonna blow:

Turbo.wav

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#137]
Vorderman! WOW! Been too busy to play this until yesterday, WOW! WOW! And Triple WOW! Fantastic job dude! It has had me and my son playing for hours, trying to do a complete lap and the loop. Nearly there now!

Looks great, moves great, yes we've had the occasional MAV with the old version, but we just started a new game - we will test the new exe today! I'm looking forward to seeing a finished game - this would make a great Christmas pressie!

IPete2.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#138]
YEah the tilt thing will be brilliant!

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#139]
He he he - first time of asking through the loop using the posted instructions above (turbo on /off during loop!)... EXCELLENT!

Back to it now...

:)

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#140]
>>be it a joypad or a steering wheel
I just thought I would mention that steering wheel support isn't exactly added as is, it's impossible to drive it with mine because of the acceleration and braking being done on buttons.

Yesterday I played around with your backfire sounds and wrote a mini hot rodding game so that I could experiment with (maybe I should send it on to you and see what you think of the way I used them?), anyway, I added steering wheel support to it and I was horrified to see the axis Microsoft had used for their Sidewinder drivers.

Microsoft FF Wheel
I hope I get these around the right way I have to read my source code to tell! :)

Accelerate is on the joyY() axis and starts at 1 and ends at -1 when fully deperessed.

Braking is on the JoyRoll() axis and starts at 180 and ends at -180 when fully depressed.

It's gonna be one hell of a joystick driver to sort out all the possibilities. Maybe someone ( namely me I suppose ) needs to write a Blitzside joystick driver to turn everything into 0..1's and allos control config...

Anyway, I just thought that info would help.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#141]
Becky,

Did you check out Pepsi's force feedback joystick code? It worked really well with my Joytech PS2/PC USB FF Steering Wheel - it provides loads of info and all the source is supplied.

I don't know if it works with the Microsoft wheel - I guess it should.

IPete2.

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#142]
In a concerted effort not to threadjack I shall just say thanks for now ;)

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#143]
Had another play with turbo sound. I'm trying to come up with something which sounds as though the whole engines gonna blow:

that's a cool sound, jb. Do you have a version that doesn't increase in pitch (ie. one that loops)?

it's impossible to drive it with mine because of the acceleration and braking being done on buttons.

I did have analogue acceleration and braking controls implemented, I think the old version allowed you to pick which method it used in-game, but it's commented out currently. Should be easy enough to add that back in though.

Need to add the multiplayer function first though :)

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#144]
Multiplayer? Yes please and a lap timer!

IPete2.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#145]
MULTIPLAYER = YES

thats like "Racing Destruction Set" (C64) then. :)

9572AD(Posted 2005) [#146]
Which original track do you mean? One from the original SCR, or from Hard Drivin? I think adding the orginal SCR tracks would be pretty cool, not sure how to get the Drawbridge moving though.

I meant the SCR track. I figured I could toss together a Hard Drivin' like track if there's an editor. :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#147]
E-Mail sent. :)

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#148]
Thanks for the new DLL Damien.

In your email you say that you get MAVs with this layout -

For veh.vehicle=each vehicle
   ;blah blah here
   Updatevehicle(veh) ;This function uses the Veh.Vehicle inside, but its not set to local, so it disrupts the for loop.
next ;I get MAV here because my VEH.vehicle has been changed by Updatevehicle.

So what exactly is it causing the MAV? Is it the UpdateVehicle function using the global veh.vehicle or is it something else?

I've checked through my code and all my FOR..EACH loops just work upon the type within the loop, ie. they don't call another function with the instance of the type as a parameter, so would I have the same problem as you?

If so, why doesn't it MAV all the time? Why just on XP in non-compat. mode? Very odd.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#149]
Vorderman - can you post a new thread and put links from/to here, and I'll lock this one.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#150]
OK, link to the new thread - http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=51591

EOF(Posted 2005) [#151]
Posted in new thread.