quick, small video of a toka smash sequence

Community Forums/Showcase/quick, small video of a toka smash sequence

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi All,

I forgot to post this here- A small video of me, flying around in my hovercraft (apparently in 1st person mode. heh.. i had no ship models at this time!) destroying a building.

heres the link: about 1.<something>mb, no sound, so its tiny.

about 30 seconds of footage.

http://damiensturdy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/smash.avi

big10p(Posted 2005) [#2]
I get a "class not registered" error with media player, Cyg.

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#3]
It works for me (media player classic and lots of codecs).

It's not bad work, it's fairly typical of physics demos in that gravity is practically lunar, it's slightly better than most but the blocks fall quite slowly to the ground. Is this some default setting in a common physics dll or something?

All the same the physics seem well put together and on the whole the blocks act realistically.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#4]
big10p- Not sure what that means, but it sounds like a codec problem. I'll remind myself what its encoded in, but i think it was something standard to windows.

[edit] The video doesn't play at my works either. We have absolutely no codecs here.

@Becky, Nope, I lowered gravity so that i could turn around and you could see the blocks falling. Its not very interesting if it topples over completely before you turn around :) It is done with Tokamak though, using very simple code. I was actually testing something you dont see on recording this video. The hardest bit is creating the buildings so they dont instantly explode :)

Thanks for the comments.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#5]
It works here. At the moment though I'm not really very impressed with seeing this `early edge` of the physics-engine-based wave of future gaming. It's nice but it's just a bunch of rectangles. ???

WendellM(Posted 2005) [#6]
That does look pretty nice (and is using a DivX codec, BTW). I haven't messed much with Tokamak et al. in Blitz due to their current "bolted-on" nature, but smoothly integrated physics in a future BMax module could be fun.

The only thing that bugs me a bit about physics is that some unforeseen combination of events could cause a block or something to fall on the player's character, injuring him, or could unexpectedly pile objects up allowing him to climb over a supposedly impassable obstacle, etc. I'm a bit of a control freak that way: if a player is able to do something or something is done to him, I want it to be because I specifically included that possibility in my game, not because the physics engine caused it behind my back. Imagine Luke blowing up the Death Star, but then some random, physics-controlled bit of debris from the pretty explosion strikes his X-wing and kills him ;). I guess the alternative is to have ghostly, non-player-interactive physics objects (so much for "realism").

Sweenie(Posted 2005) [#7]

Imagine Luke blowing up the Death Star, but then some random, physics-controlled bit of debris from the pretty explosion strikes his X-wing and kills him

I guess that is what would have happened in real life. ;)

Anyway, I understand your point about physics ruining the gameplay if used the wrong way, but with some carefully planning it can make your game an extremely cool experience.
Take half-life 2 for example... I've tried for hours to "sabotage" the gameplay by going "havoc" with the crates and barrels but I never succeeded.
I even tried throwing a required battery into the ocean, but it bounced back.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#8]
Of course its a bunch of rectangles- I didn't model anything yet! :P

aCiD2(Posted 2005) [#9]
They're cuboids, damnit ¬_¬'

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#10]
Of course they are..... :)

New video coming soon, I think.

[edit]

Gonna have to let you guys play it a bit. Will get some PD Models and use those.

Might not be visually stunning, but its quite fun!