Ghostpatch (auto-updater tool)

Community Forums/Showcase/Ghostpatch (auto-updater tool)

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#1]
Automatically updates your end users software. Configured via .ini file.

http://ghostpatch.bansheestudios.com/example/ghostpatch.zip

Expect exansion of this project over the next few days.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#2]
This looks cool, have to try it soon, maybe when I release my next game.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#3]
Looks very useful ! Thanks !

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#4]
Wow Backy,

Thats fab, very useful. Thanks.

IPete2.

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#5]
I have added compression and as you can see from this screenie i've built in an FTP interface (with upload hashing) which the program uses to run an auto-generated ftp upload script for your project.

I'll add decompression tonight and then I just need to figure out a good method of detecting what files to upload (a sort of reverse patcher lol) and it should be ready.

It's still all driven by one simple .ini file and a command line interface. The program prompts you for ftp username and password but otherwise it's entirely scripted in just a few easy commands.

Here's a sample .ini file atm

Command line paramets are:

<no parameters>: operate in client mode
COMPILE: compile a CRC database but do not download
COMPRESS: compress files
UPLOAD: create an ftp script and execute it (deleted compressed file version after uploading)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#6]
Hey. Neat work, I keep meaning to write one of these.

I suppose this is a cool side-project to waterworld?

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#7]
It's an extension of the system I wrote for Waterworld, now i'm adding compression i'll be using this in Waterworld as the patch downloader for the new version which I hope to release at the start of next month.

It's not so much a side project, as it is to help people out who are waiting on a product by a former BB community member who isn't delivering. Enough said of that in this thread though. I had it half written, opening it up to others and putting in some new features was the least I could do.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#8]
o.O *whistles*

Okay then :)

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#9]
Wow Backy

... otherwise known as Mary Jane ?

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#10]
The Freudians's are going to have a field day on that one.

Can't do any more tonight i've got to power off soon (Grandad asleep in adjacent room and i'm a loud typist).

Hopefully i'll get the decompression stuff coded tommorow.