Nano Pipeline

Community Forums/Showcase/Nano Pipeline

starfox(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hey guys check out my newest game Nano Pipeline
Version 2 released now!

Download Nano Pipeline

Please post comments and inform me what is your review

EDIT:
I've just created a new version of this game, and you can download it here. It doesn't have the BigFish Toolbar.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#2]
Presentation is nice and slick and the game ran very smoothly.

I think the aiming method used makes things a bit too easy, tbh. You just point the mouse cursor at the ball you want to hit and press fire. It's slightly more difficult when things are moving but still quite simple.

I think some more excitement needs to be added in some way. Maybe more bonuses/powerups or something. I just felt something was missing.

I'm afraid none of the mini games appealed to me. They're just not my thing. I think there may be a bug in the neuron mini game as I saw 3 lined-up along the bottom but they didn't disappear.

Being able to enter numbers in the name entry would have been nice as I wanted to use my nick. :)

Why does the installer try and connect to the internet? I didn't like this at all. Also, it plonks icons on the desktop without asking me. Another no-no. People don't own a computer just to play your games. :)

All-in-all a good game. I'm not the biggest fan of this type of thing - although I loved Bust a Move - so maybe just ignore my crits. :P

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#3]
Memory Access Violation. Couldn't we have a zip or rar instead of having to download and install all the BigFish installer crap? We are doing you a favour by testing it for you, after all.

starfox(Posted 2005) [#4]
Sorry Sybixsus,

I would put up a zip but I haven't secured any of my files. They did that for me.

big10p,

Do you think the game is too easy then?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#5]
IMO it's too easy because of the aiming mechanism, as I said. There's no real aiming involved, in fact. You just point the mouse where you want the ball to hit and press fire.

I played a game (Adventure mode) for maybe 15-20 mins. The first 10 mins or so were pretty un-exciting because I didn't have to use any real skill - just point and click. When the balls started moving more quickly, things got more frantic/exciting, though.

Maybe the difficulty curve needs to be ramped up a bit, although, getting the right difficulty in a game like this would be quite hard, I expect.

Also, I found the fact that I could move around the screen pretty redundant for the most part. I could just sit in one place and stay there for the entire level. I think some kind of motivation is need to make players move around - I'd avoid having things fire at you, though.

One idea would be to only let the player turn left/right a certain amount while still. Also, maybe only allow the mouse cursor to be positioned a certain distance from the player character. This would help make aiming more difficult and give incentive to the player to move closer to target areas.

These are just ideas and may not work in practice, though. :)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#6]
I would put up a zip but I haven't secured any of my files. They did that for me.

I'm afraid they did not, none of your assets are protected.

Barnabius(Posted 2005) [#7]
I'd recommend MoleBox. It protects everything and there's just one file we have to use.

Barney

starfox(Posted 2005) [#8]
I'm afraid they did not, none of your assets are protected.

Actually I mean't executable-wise, since you can't play the game without the executable.

big10p:

I also thought it was too easy, but usually in this market, the developer has to reduce the difficulty to match the casual audience (well what I've heard). What level did you quit at?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#9]
True, if you're going for the casual gamer market you don't want to make things too hard, I guess. However, more experienced gamers won't get anything from the game, unless you add difficulty levels. I can't remember what level I got to, tbh - like I said, I played one game for about 15-20 mins.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#10]
What about a difficulty level or don't people ever use them?

starfox(Posted 2005) [#11]
Most similar games I've played don't really have a difficulty mode, so I thought I wouldn't need it.

starfox(Posted 2005) [#12]
Any more reviews:)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#13]
mmmmm..... I got "MAV" :(

Plus, is it me,or did your installer install something dodgy? :(

I was lookin forward to a go on this... Hope it's easily fixable :)

starfox(Posted 2005) [#14]
Hey Cygnus,

The installer includes the bigfishgames toolbar for Internet Explorer. I tried to forwarn in my first post.
Just uninstall the toolbar and you should be fine:)

Also I will try to fix that MAV problem you guys are having.

starfox(Posted 2005) [#15]
Ok, the game should not have the MAV problem anymore. I've just uploaded a version that has a fix.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#16]
Great fun- I did respond to your email a fe days ago :)

I cant tell what im to do though, i mean, i can pop em, but sometimes, 3 in a row doesnt work- why?

Im also colourblind, not sure if that causes an issue or ot ^.^

[edit]

For some reason I like the music ;)

starfox(Posted 2005) [#17]
Which songs do you like?

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#18]
So basically it's a Zuma clone. It's good, nicely put together. Music's good to, kinda fits. Like the way it changes to a manic tune when you are about to loose a life. Quite hard, I seemed to get further with Zuma but I am tired this morning. Mini games seem good too, Bejewelled clone in there (I'm making one too!). I can see the same style of buttons as on your internet site too which is consistant.

starfox(Posted 2005) [#19]
Grey Alien, which level did you finally stop at?

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#20]
3 or 4. i.e. not very far. I think in zuma you have longer before the balls reach the end. As I said I was tired and playing on a laptop with one of those mousepad things.

starfox(Posted 2005) [#21]
Grey Alien, I've just uploaded a new version that should make it a little easier.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#22]
cool, thanks. I'll try to find the time to give it a go.