Stunt Car Racer - rally dirt (image heavy 700k)

Community Forums/Showcase/Stunt Car Racer - rally dirt (image heavy 700k)

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#1]
After the suggestions last time I've added some dirt segments to the editor, and modified the code to allow independent variable friction for each tyre, so now the dirt can be detected as more slippery allowing a lot more powersliding. Pictures of the car racing a small test track below. I need to add a dirt->tarmac transition piece and perhaps some steeply banked dirt corners, but it certainly feels a bit different to drive and is great fun.

Genexi2(Posted 2005) [#2]
Looking nice so far, but it appears a bit blurry up close, you planning on using a detail-texture or something to hide that?

Still love your stunt car model there, especially them tires, nice and detailed.

DarkMere(Posted 2005) [#3]
Enough of the carrots, when do we get our motley little hands on a working version of the game? :)

regaa(Posted 2005) [#4]
Lap 147, omg, he drives and drives and let no one else drive :(.

LineOf7s(Posted 2005) [#5]
Such a tease. :o)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#6]
Weird, I don't seem to be playing a demo of this right now... must be a bug!

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#7]
I was thinking the same thing!!! :p

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#8]
Lap 147

The lap counter is broken on the test track - I only did a couple of laps, honest I did :)

Weird, I don't seem to be playing a demo of this right now... must be a bug!

LOL! If I had a system that could pack data into a single EXE I'd get a demo out ASAP - any free ones around? I don't want to pay money for a packer for a game that I might never finish.

Anyone know any decent free packing systems for compressing data into an EXE? If only B3D had an INCBIN function like BMAX...

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#9]
Im think BIDE has a packer built into it, Hehe, Im being real picky but there are no steering shafts going to the front wheels! :D

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#10]
I don't want to pay money for a packer for a game that I might never finish.

nooo.. don't say things like that... it hurts.. :/ hehe

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#11]
Who stole the demo download link?

DarkMere(Posted 2005) [#12]
Vorderman, if you fail to finish the game now, after you have rekindled our 'Stunt Car Racer' addiction, there will be a LOT of people with vengeance and blood lust on their minds. Be afriad.......... be very afraid :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#13]
what's wrong with .zipping it, are you worried about data theft?

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#14]
You can use Blitz Media Linker, it does a heck of a job. Get it here: http://www.blitztools.de.vu/

big10p(Posted 2005) [#15]
Damn, fredborg beat me to it! :)

Yes, GET BLITZ MEDIA LINKER! I'm amazed every blitzer isn't aware of this gem.

It's excellent and free. You won't even have to change your source - it works everything out for you. Tip: if your source has Includes, make sure there's no whitespace (tabs, spaces) before the Include command.

OK, now you have no excuse. Gives us a demo! :)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#16]
What fredborg said. Give us a go!

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#17]
It's so cool to see everyone all hyped up over this..
I guess we all had that unhealthy addiction to the original Stunt Car Racer.. hehe :)

big10p(Posted 2005) [#18]
I guess we all had that unhealthy addiction to the original Stunt Car Racer.. hehe :)
Never played it myself but I want to have a go on this baby! :P

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#19]
OK, I'll have a look at the media linker program - thanks very much.

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#20]
Arggh, looking at those shots without a demo to play is like Chinese water torture :)

As LA Rush is finished now, you have no excuse ;)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#21]
yes... big time envy... and a burning desire to drive!!!!

excellent looking presentation V... you are a perfectionist....

i wish my stuff looked as good...

--Mike

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#22]
Hmm, I can't get the MediaLinker program to work - I setup all the paths, files etc.. but after clicking the final create button it sits there for ages - I left it running for 2 hours with no end result.

The gamedata is 22mb, so I tried just linking the .bb code with a single bitmap, but it does the same thing.

Am I doing something obvious wrong here??? The buttons grey-out and according to the task manager it's working away, but 2 hours with no output seems like a long time.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#23]
That does sound odd. I did have a problem with Include lines in the source - as I mentioned above - but that caused an error message.

Have you tried using it on the "no compression" level?

If you can't sort it out, contact AL90. He helped me with my queries very promptly.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#24]
Yes, I tried no compression, and I've just tried to compile one of the sample programs that comes with B3D (the fakelight.bb program linked with brick.bmp) but it still just hangs once I click the final CREATE button.

Can anyone else link the fakelight program with the bitmap into 1 EXE? How long does it take?

I've emailed AL90 so hopefully I can get this sorted out and release a demo. I've designed a wicked track layout for the demo, but the editor decided to munch the save file (a small bugette that I now need to crush) so I can't reload it and change it, so it's possible the track is impossible, but never mind - should keep you lot trying!

Also I want to tweak the steering loss when you hit the turbo - it's a feature designed to make the car less twitchy at speed, but currently its so severe under boost that you can't turbo around corners, only in a straight line - I need to reduce that a bit to make the game more playable (and therefore laptimes will be faster).

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#25]
MUST.....HAVE.....DEMO!

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#26]
NEED.....WORKING......PACKER!

hehehheh :)

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#27]
somebody.. please... give the man a working packer!!!! :p

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#28]
Have you tried also the BBCruncher, I think it may be better for your needs. It is also on www.blitztools.de.vu

big10p(Posted 2005) [#29]
Yeah, there's definately something going wrong for you with BML, Vorderman. I just packed the fakelight demo and it only took a matter of seconds. Just have to wait to see what AL90 has to say, I guess.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#30]
do you need some visualC library installed or something??? Or perhaps some other program or service pack or component that I must be missing?

I've tested it without success on 3 PCs now....maybe I'm doing something wrong during the wizard?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#31]
Vorderman, I get the same freezing but not always. Usually, its just fine! I hope the cause is found soon enough....

big10p(Posted 2005) [#32]
Wow. if you've tried it on 3 PCs and it's not working, that's real strange. I'm pretty sure BML doesn't need anything else to be installed, apart from blitz. I don't have visualC or anything like that installed.

I know it's a long shot but try downloading it again and installing it in the root dir of C:.

9572AD(Posted 2005) [#33]
Hey, I have LA Rush on order. Now I know who to blame if it sucks! ;)

So, aside from all the pimpin' and blingin' crap, does it drive like the classic Rush games, or did they feel the need to screw with it?

Stunt Car Racer making me drool, also! Used to play it on a Mac for hours or until the owner kicked me off.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#34]
does it drive like the classic Rush games

Well, it's not hyper-fast airborne action like the old Rush games, more down-to-earth NFS style.

I know it's a long shot but try downloading it again and installing it in the root dir of C:.

I too thought perhaps that the location of the BlitzLinker program might be the cause of the problem, but even running it from the root of C doesn't make it work. There's no installer though, just a ZIP with the single EXE in it.

I don't really want to release a demo with media files all over the place in a ZIP....

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#35]
P.S.:
Could u use thumbnails in your next posts... 700kb is much for modem users... :)

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#36]

Well, it's not hyper-fast airborne action like the old Rush games, more down-to-earth NFS style.

Jeez, please don't tell me they've given it the 'chav' treatment :(

How can it be Rush without the death defying jumps, crazy stunts and hair raising shortcuts? If it hasn't got those, then it ain't Rush.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#37]
I'M driving first... give it 'ere.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#38]
Never mind, I'm fed up messing around with this linker program, I'll release a zipped demo. Check the new thread in a bit.

regaa(Posted 2005) [#39]
I warn you, if you don't hack the keyboard in the game i will buy a controller, so be aware :p.