Gauntlet Inspired blitz3d game (wip) (some pics)

Community Forums/Showcase/Gauntlet Inspired blitz3d game (wip) (some pics)

Matty(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all,

For the last couple of months I have been working on a gauntlet remake/dungeon hack game. If you are interested in trying it out then it can be downloaded from:

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~gezeder/lloyd/GauntletWIPLowRes.zip

The downloadable version uses low res textures and low quality sound to minimise the download size (it is 6 MB).

Some screenshots are here:

I'd be interested in feedback (**both positive and negative**) regarding frame rate, whether the game is too easy/too hard, your highest scores (although high score table not done yet) and how many players you've tried it with.

Currently the game supports up to 4 players using gamepads (or a joystick with 4 buttons). It does not (and likely will not in future) feature keyboard support.

While I have not included the source code with this, I will do so once it is finished.

I am still looking for more sound effects, music although my main priority is getting some menu/title screen/high score chart screens done. If any one is interested in creating any of these bits (particularly the menu/title etc) then let me know - my email address is in my profile.

Thanks for your time.

** Edit ** - frame rate should not go over 60ish frames a second - I am interested in how much it dips to.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#2]
I can't play / start the game cause I have no joypad???
ADD KEYBOARD SUPPORT

Simplify the screen resolution settings.
Perhaps make a simple ini the user can edit.

Convert all bmp to png
Convert all wav to ogg
Deleted all thumbs.db files
Pack the exe with UPX

--> that would be a good start!

Tiger(Posted 2005) [#3]
Link is broken for me anyway, can't download it.
But I like the screen shots.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#4]
"home.swiftdsl.com.au/~gezeder/lloyd/Low Res Gauntlet Essentials.zip" the link uses empty spaces!

trb(Posted 2005) [#5]
When I played your Grave Robber game, I remember thinking "This guy should make a Gauntlet style game!"

"Blue Templar needs food Badly!"

I made it to level 7 the first time through. For the most part in the beginning when few/no monsters on screen it ran at 66/67 FPS, then when the generators started pumping out monsters it dropped to 30 fps as the absolute lowest. When the FPS was low I noticed every once in a while a bullet would skip over a monster and hit the guy behind him.

Good progression in difficulty, I was swimming in montsers in the upper levels..a few more well placed food items would have been nice! Not sure if this would make things too easy, but it would also be nice if you could move while shooting.( I didn't get to try the multiplayer mode yet, but I plan to once the wife gets home from work.) Overall nice hack n' slash action.

p3 1 ghz, 256 mb, 64mb radeon

Matty(Posted 2005) [#6]
Have updated the Gauntlet Inspired Remake.

New download:

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~gezeder/lloyd/GauntletWIPLowRes.zip

Download size 6.7 Mb

New Features include: Title screen, High Score table, Instructions, Shadows (able to be switched off or have quality adjusted), 2D mode for slower PCs (able to have quality adjusted) , Screen resolution may be altered, Demo replays if you wait long enough (a little under a minute),

Includes Setup program used to adjust graphics settings (written in Blitzplus).

Gameplay is much the same and still requires a joypad (or joystick with 4 buttons) for play.

** EDIT ** - bug:delete all files in folder "imagestrips" or at least change them to be not 'read only' or else 2D resolution will be fixed at 512x512 sized images (forgot that copying from CD rom made everything read only...)

Still to do:

Music, Proper 'end sequence' - currently game does not end after final level, more sound effects.

A few more, larger screenshots:

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#7]
Elf is about to die, Warrior needs food - badly. LOL - loved Gauntlet - downloading now.

And Grisu why are you even playing games without a joypad? Go and buy one you cheapskate! ;-)

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#8]
I think for an arcarde game like this adding keyboard support should NOT BE THAT HARD TO ADD.

So good luck with this....

Defoc8(Posted 2005) [#9]
shame about no keyboard support - gauntlet was my fav
game on the speccy & in the arcade..button bashing madness
...anyway, if you do decide to add keyboard support id love
to try it out :]

cheers!
matt/defoc8

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#10]
BUY A JOYPAD!!!!!!!!!! :p

Why0Why(Posted 2005) [#11]
I am a big gamer and don't have a joypad either. I am interested in this, but I am not buying a joypad to try. Keyboard support isn't difficult to add.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#12]
do you need more excuses to buy a joypad?? there's Stunt Car Racer remake, and there's this.. :D

you say it isn't difficult to ad keyboard support.. I say it isn't difficult to buy a joypad!!! ;)
bite the bullet.. head to the store.. hehe

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#13]
I dont feel the need for capital letters but I dont have a joypad either and i'm not about to buy one, not because buying a joypad is hard (which it is given my finances ! lol) but because I dont like using them as I suffer almost immediate RSI.

I would like to play this though, it looks excellent.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#14]
This is pretty good - I wasn't mad keen on the original Gauntlet, though, tbh. I don't like not being able to move and fire at the same time - it just leads to situations where you can't avoid being swarmed by foe, from all directions. I'd also like to see 360 degree movement as opposed to the 8-way movement.