Shroom Eater

Community Forums/Showcase/Shroom Eater

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#1]
Check out this mini-game called Shroom Eater I made for my son in Blitz Plus.

It's a tour de force of technical programming, unparalleled design and creativity, and unbelievable graphics and sound. It has to be played!

Download it here, it's FREE!

http://www.jbcomputersolutions.com/shroom/shroom.shtml

See the readme for details. Use cursor keys to move the man.

Try to get to level 20 and let me know how you find it. Enjoy!

Geehawk(Posted 2005) [#2]
Got to level 20 :D

But didn't complete it :(

Perhaps I'm too old ...

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#3]
Shroom eater eh? that time of year again already :D

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#4]
OI! *points at shroom collector in sig*

lol.

Sounds N-Eat. I cant try it just yet though :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#5]
Geehawk: well done, it is hard, I got to 21 and 22 in testing. Of course as the positions are random you could get good or bad luck.

Nearly Tim, not quite yet. Of course in my disclaimer it says "In no way does this game endorse eating mushrooms of any kind." Especially red ones with white spots, I might add.

Cyg: Yeah sorry, but it's not the same nor's the name. (I have played yours btw.) Why can't you try it? It actually makes me sweat near level 20. My colleague is interviewing today and suggested we make candidates play it to see if their "skillz" are up to scratch.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#6]
WHEEEEEEEEEEEE. ¬.¬

[edit]

Sorry. i go funny on the SOUND of mushrooms.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#7]
Cyg: That's called synaesthesia, like when you can smell a colour.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#8]
Lol, Thats actually pretty interesting :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#9]
When can you play it?

[edit] I forgot to say that this game is also a "state-of-the-art real-life simulation", except that it doesn't need 3D graphics card, cool eh?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#10]
Lol, i'll be testing it on return from the pub. I cant play it here- as im at work! :)

Wasnt really bothered by the nearly similar names at all. haha, just taking the Mick.(I hope Mick doesnt mind.)

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#11]
Just remember it is only a crime to be cought in possession, as long as you eat them strait away you cannot be prosecuted... hand to mouth, that's the way ... woah look at the big pink flying saucer.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#12]
I thought they were perfectly legal in the unprocessed form (UK)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#13]
yeah but the law changed very recently so that even posession of unprocessed ones is illegal I believe. http://www.azarius.net/news.php?newsindex=75

So play my game instead!

[edit] anyway, hasn't anyone noticed that my game contains fly agarics which are not illegal?

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#14]
I thought it was always that way - there was a sort of rite of passage to go shrooming in Wales when I was young, stood before a copper, getting the things into your mouth as quickly as possible so as not to ever be in possession whilst the coppers mill around bored out of their faces confiscating black bags.

I never was adventurous enough myself. That and it's far too muddy, windy, wet and cold on them mountains.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#15]
That and it's far too muddy, windy, wet and cold on them mountains
commune with nature ma.. uh woman.

I thought it was always that way
So you can see from the article that it was only illegal to have dried ones which is how come you could buy them fresh and growing kits and all that but not dried. So all you Welsh "face stuffers" didn't need to, you could have leisurely made sandwiches with them or whatever (yuck). Now you can't sell anything shroomy at all which might even put some people out of business, bummer hey?

Anyway have you played it yet? What level can you get too? Does it make you laugh, I hope so.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#16]
LMFAO

*falls onflor*

Mate, that kicks ass :D

big10p(Posted 2005) [#17]
hehe. I got to level 20 on my first go but didn't get past it. :P

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#18]
I got to level 18. My spatial processing abilities aren't quite with you guys.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#19]
How does your son get on playing this, Grey? I think it's a programmers' game because you have to be very nimble on the old arrow keys - using them is second nature to all old-hand coders, right? :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#20]
Thanks for playing it. Becky, lev 18 is respectable but it get's pretty hard around there. I found a technique of moving around in a big circle (anti-clockwise) worked best for me.

Big10p, yeah it really is a programmers game, I guess. My son is only 4 so he can get to around level 8 before it's too much. I am teaching him to use all 3 arrow keys with one hand.

Watch out for future versions with more to them. This one seems fun in it's simplicity though. Did you like the music (it's not supposed to be good, just fitting)?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#21]

I am teaching him to use all 3 arrow keys with one hand.

Might want to update your keyboard. Sounds like yours has some missing "features" :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#22]
lol! doh... Have you ever tried a MS Natural "elite" keyboard, it is horrid! The arrow keys are in a diamond so if you place your fingers on left, up, and right and you want to press down, you can't as your middle finger won't fit (to move down) between the others! It is totally dumb.

Mark Judd(Posted 2005) [#23]
Grey Alien:
Can i have your postal address ?
I need it so my solicitor can send you the details of my RSI injury sustained while evaluating your software.

Its fun, trying to ignore the beeping clock while pressure mounts...

OT: During an evenings entertainment at college years ago, a friend of mine ate one of those compressed rubber superballs. He thought it was a vitamin tablet he had to take whilst on his space journey to mars.

[Edited in the interests of public safety]
It had something to do with the mushrooms that he had foolishly put in his coffee.
[/Edit]

Funky Frank

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#24]
Frank: lol, you are not having my address, I'm gonna add RSI to the disclaimer! Glad you liked it, simple but effective is my motto. Your story is fun, I hope he made the coffee himself and it wasn't a prank! I image when he went to the toilet it wasn't amusing, lol! I've quite a few stories too but I shouldn't tell them here really.

[edit] OK I'm going away for 4 days to York for a wedding, so if I don't reply, don't worry, it's not because I've been eating mushrooms ;-) Keep posting though, it'll be nice to read on my return.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#25]
Sarrite. Ive been doing enough of that for everyone.

Had a nice fry-up for brekky!

markcw(Posted 2005) [#26]
i got to level 17, then i started to palpitate and
knew that full-blown projectile vomiting wasnt far
off so i stopped playing. nice game though, i like
the music and its fun on the easy levels, just that
the pressure just keeps going up and up like a
perssure cooker and i didn't like that very much.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#27]
haha, maybe it'll teach you a life skill somethingfunky. Actually maybe you're right, might as well chill hey.

So I'm back from 4 days in York and it was Hell. Got stuck on the M42 on the way up and my son tried to pee into a flask in the car but missed, arg. Then it was torrential rain and the kids screamed like hell for the remaining 150 miles. Got there and I came down with a really nasty flu and stayed in bed the whole time, missed the wedding, finally a massive drive home. I should have stayed here and kept on coding, sigh. The highlight was I watched Sin city on the hotel TV and enjoyed it a lot!

markcw(Posted 2005) [#28]
life skills from a drug inspired game? really? wow!
cool man! heh. better go play it again now then. :-)

hey, weddings suck anyway man (sort of) so you
got lucky methinks by having a valid excuse why
you couldn't make it. haha. umm, burrp...

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#29]
OT: During an evenings entertainment at college years ago, a friend of mine ate one of those compressed rubber superballs. He thought it was a vitamin tablet he had to take whilst on his space journey to mars.

I got one of the girls at college to eat a paintball by offering her a "sweet". *hehe*...

When I was at primary school I at a 4x2 lego brick... I'm still waiting for it to come out.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#30]
somethingfunky: To be honest it wasn't really drug inspired it was supposed to be an innocent pick'em up game but you naughty lot just assumed it was about "magic" mushrooms ;-)

Becky: You should eat a few more and see if you can poo a complete firestation or something.

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#31]
To be honest it wasn't really drug inspired it was supposed to be an innocent pick'em up game

I think Napsters defence was based upon a similar principle wasn't it ?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#32]
They look more like toadstools than mushrooms, anyway. Then again, playing a game called "Stool Eater" does conjure up some disgusting images. :P

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#33]
Big10p: lol, in fact that "fall of my chair rolling on my ass" or something acronym, whatever.

Becky: I suppose Napster had a similar disclaimer too, as in "if you copy copyrighted music it's nothing to do with us" or something.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#34]
...FOMCROMA!

(???)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#35]
Yeah, that does look a bit weird doesn't it, but I wanted to express more than a lol for Stool Eater (technical name coprophagia). I've got it! It could be a bonus level where you just had one shroom too many and lost the plot and go round a park eating dog stools.

I working on a slightly enhanced version of the game to be released before the weekend, maybe, if I can sneek in a few hours on it without anyone noticing. Did a lot last night, 3am job, but it's the best time to work, you just pay the day after when you gotta take your kid to school.