Tattoo-Max 0.01

Community Forums/Showcase/Tattoo-Max 0.01

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all,

After playing for a while with BlitzMax, I decided to try and re-write Tattoo in Max.

Not easy, since there is no 3D module yet, and no GUI. But I've got the bones of it going in 'ever-so-rough' form.

Something to play about with. :)

Download (233kb)

If you could let me know what framerate you get and if you get any texture corruption, that would be helpful.

Thanks,

N(Posted 2005) [#2]

N(Posted 2005) [#3]
What the bleepetty bleep bleep yo bleep bleep my bleep everybody's bleep bleep, old MacDonald's bleep bleep.

Double post. No idea how it happened. Excuse: Magical fairies are controlling my computer.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#4]
Weird -- it just exits silently here after briefly opening a window.

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#5]
This is what you get for trying to do weird stuff in pure OpenGL 8D

@Noel - At least it's fast (heh heh)

@James - Try keeping your mouse in the centre of the window while it's opening.

Notes: (Both with Radeon cards so far...)

Should look like this: :/

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#6]
Hi Lee,

No joy on keeping the mouse over the window!

Psionic(Posted 2005) [#7]
Worked fine here, 150Fps on Athlon64 3.0ghz, 512ram, gforcefx5500...Cool

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#8]
It also closes immediately here :(

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#9]
It looks like I'm doing something that Radeons don't like somehow. Both Psionic and I have Nvidia cards and it runs fine.

Thanks for trying it though.

So far we have two problems.

1. It bombs out and never sees the light of day
2. Visual Corruption on some machines

As a matter of interest, what color depth is your desktop set to?

I can make it not start by setting my Desktop to 256 colors, but it seems so unlikely that anyone has their desktop on 256 Colors...

How can you fix something you can't replicate.. :/

I'll have to farm out the source to figure out what's going on I think.

JaviCervera(Posted 2005) [#10]
Works fine here... 150 fps

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#11]
Works fine here too. Definetly a gfx thing. Gf4 Ti here. Runs abouts 300 - 400 fps. coooool :o)

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#12]
Yeah I noticed it runs faster on GF4 I can't think why though. Maybe it's a driver thing 8-0

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#13]
I just updated my gfx drivers, as i was getting alot of slowdown with 3d world studio, which uses open GL. I assume this does too, being bmax and all.

LineOf7s(Posted 2005) [#14]
Runs great here - about 23 FPS on my modest rig.

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#15]
I just updated my gfx drivers, as i was getting alot of slowdown with 3d world studio, which uses open GL. I assume this does too, being bmax and all.

Seems that the GF4 does some things (an order of magnitude) faster than the GF-FX range then!

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#16]
Same as Noel on an ATI mobility 7500. 50 fps more or less.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#17]
448fps fine on Radeon 9800XT, P4 3.2GHz, 1GB RAM, XP SP2.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#18]
Lee, if you want to email me the source I'll try and see where it bombs out.

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#19]
448fps fine on Radeon 9800XT, P4 3.2GHz, 1GB RAM, XP SP2.

What the...now it runs on a Radeon... Now I'm really confused...

@James

Will do. At work at the moment, but I'll bundle the project folder and send it this evening. Perhaps Fredborg as well?

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#20]
Yep :D

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#21]
i can't test it here just yet, but:

Seems that the GF4 does some things (an order of magnitude) faster than the GF-FX range then!

I noticed that so much to the point i purchaced a geforce 4 ti 4200 after buying a 5200. hahaha.

looking good.

Genexi2(Posted 2005) [#22]
Works fine on my 256mb GF6800 GT here (350-450FPS, bounces around alot), a thing I did notice though is if you paint along the top of the head or straight along the left side of the head, you get clipped(the cut-off ovals) and weird (the band going around the head which started at the ear) results.

Although I must say this is pretty impressive for a v0.01, especially when there's no godly 3d module out yet as you've already mentioned.

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#23]
The top of the head and some other areas are squished because the model is Cylinder Mapped.

The cutoff you can see is where the UV seam is at the edge of the texture.

It interpolates the movement from the last picked UV point to the most recent. If you cross a UV seam and jump to the other side of the texture, it draws a line from your last position, to the new one (resulting in a whacking great line).

The old version of Tattoo tries to compensate by detecting UV jumps much larger than the mouse movement and stopping drawing. Works most of the time. Only Projection paint mode gets around this problem completely.

PetBom(Posted 2005) [#24]
Works fine here on my laptop [Compaq, P4 Mobile, 1.7 GHz, ATI Radeon 7500 Mobility, 512 Mb ram]. Around 110 fps when idle, drops to around 70-90 when painting.

[EDIT:OOPS! A bit fast there. I realize that the brush is behaving a bit strange. I have the same behaviour as Noel, i.e that the brush picks up the texture from the top right corner of the screen. Other than that it works fine :) ]

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#25]
Version 0.02 - I've fixed a few bugs. I don't know if it will fix the 'Closes Immediately' problem some people have neem having. Could you re-test it if it failed before.

Download (233kb)

Still no clues as to why the artifacting occurs on some machines..

Keys:
A / Z Zoom in and Out
C - Toggles Culling Mode (Those with Artifacting could try this)
RMB - Turn with Mouse
LMB - Paint
MouseWheel - Vary Opacity

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2005) [#26]
Works fine at 78ish FPS on my AMD Athlon 2Ghz, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra, Win 98 SE

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#27]
About 570 fps on GForce 6800 GT 256 mb ram, P4 2.9 ghz, 1gb ram.

Overclocked bus from 200 to 225 btw, hyperthreading off :P

impixi(Posted 2005) [#28]
Using Tattoo-Max 0.02 approximately 370 to 380 fps.

System: Laptop - Pentium M 1.6, 512MB DDR2, 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X700, Windows XP SP2, Video driver 6.14.10.6521

Kev(Posted 2005) [#29]
Version 0.02 now working here.

AMD Duron 1.3
Radeon 9550 256mb
190mb system ram
Win2k

fps: between 147 and 151

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#30]
I have the classic ati corruption lee and this is how it shows up:

1) it is fine moving the cursor over without painting. It seems to follow the surface correctly however the brush is slightly squashed.

2) when painting the cursor changes to BLI or something. It is in text and upside down. This is overlaid over the pink cursor.

3) the corruption is definately "trails" of this corrupted cursor image being spread all over the canvas.

I suspect incorrect texture format, or texture depth or something like that.

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#31]
Yeah! What one eyed Jack said! Except MINE is Geforce, and it only does it when I hit Q, cycle thru all the modes and then come back to solid. The BLI starts slowly oozing to the right with the pink cursor. THEN, if you rotate the head, the BLI stuff shows up on the other side of the head all over the cheek....sorry if thats not technical sounding. :)

Geforce 4mx 32meg
p4 2.2Ghz
256megs RAM

Sarge(Posted 2005) [#32]
Runs fine here 700-750 fps.

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#33]
Thanks guys, that's quite helpful. I'll try and find out what's going on.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#34]
I forgot to say that, yeah the frame rate works, but I had the same totallly weird texture problems when applying the tattoo.

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#35]
I've moved the testing to the OpenGL Max programming forum while I'm trying to get the textures showing up.

Here