Community Forums/Showcase/Tank Universal

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#1]
Been sweating out some animated cutscenes for level2
(Garon's a baddy by the way)

Garon's ship

Garon and his evil helmsman!

more of the bridge

Uncle(Posted 2005) [#2]
Looks amazing. Especially the first one! Very Tronesque... Cant wait to see it run.

Cheers,

Unc

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#3]
Whooa, this is starting to look real good! I still remember the first not-so-polished screenshots... it sure has aged nicely :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#4]
yup... definitely looks kinda cool!!!

--Mike

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#5]
Love the screenshot of the Garon's ship - perhaps the characters in the other screenshots could do with a few more poly's though to match the quality of the first screenshot.

Coming along nicely - keep up the good work.

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#6]
Yeah, I freely admit my character modelling skills are fairly rudimentary. I find modelling original characters to be time consuming and difficult.

The plan at this stage is to continue with what I've got, convert to Bmax3d when it's available and release.

I'm hoping people can forgive the somewhat amateurish quality of the characters in that its an indie production.

(I think that if there's any interest (when the game's released) and I come to do a follow-on, I'll hire an artist to 'professionalise' my designs.)

LineOf7s(Posted 2005) [#7]
The plan at this stage is to continue with what I've got, convert to Bmax3d when it's available and release.

ACK! How about releasing this one when it's done, then convert to Bmax3d and release the sequel?

It's cool too that you release updated information infrequently enough (but regularly) that you can still user the same topic name ("Tank Universal") each time without causing confusion. :o)

Luuuurve the look, btw.

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#8]
'How about releasing this one when it's done, then convert to Bmax3d and release the sequel?'

I won't be giving this game away, and so want to make sure it runs on low->high rigs.

At present the game features large numbers of AI controlled tanks battling - manouevering with reference to each other, scanning for enemies, calculating arced shots, firing shells, lots of explosions. I could cut down on the scale of the battles, but I really don't want to and so am hanging out for the speed boost I'd expect from Bmax3d.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#9]
Lovely looking! Great work!

It certainly has a nice style about it.

IPete2.

LineOf7s(Posted 2005) [#10]
Excellent reasoning. I hope the speed boost everyone expects from Bmax3D is as expected. :o)

CodeOrc(Posted 2005) [#11]
Can you make sure that when it goes for sale that we get LOTS of purchase information?

I for one have been waiting very eagerly for this game...gotta' have a fix...TU!

Regular K(Posted 2005) [#12]
Ooh very nice! Any way we can possibly see it in real time ;)

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#13]
'Can you make sure that when it goes for sale that we get LOTS of purchase information? '

Will do.

'Ooh very nice! Any way we can possibly see it in real time ;) '

If you mean a demo, I'm holding out for Blitzmax's 3d module unfortunately. I've planned for a tutorial level and one big battle level as the demo.

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#14]
If you mean a demo, I'm holding out for Blitzmax's 3d module unfortunately. I've planned for a tutorial level and one big battle level as the demo.
If this is the case you're going to have a lot of work. I've found porting stuff from Blitz3D to Max isn't a simple matter. With large projects the auto converter is useless, and program structure is very different in Max. You may just find yourself rewriting the whole thing. Not to mention the 3D module doesn't look like it's arriving anytime soon. If you are always holding out for the next big thing before release then you'll never release it. Don't end up like Red Oktober, choose a platform, stick with it, then release it. It would be a shame for you to do all this work then never have anything to show for it.

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#15]
What oddball said, twice.

This looks absolutely spiffing though :D

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#16]
I agree with Oddball, just finish this one in Blitz3d - and hurry up! ;-)

big10p(Posted 2005) [#17]
Ditto. Forget BMax for now. :)

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#18]
'If this is the case you're going to have a lot of work. '
I agree, it could/will be a lot of work.

'I've found porting stuff from Blitz3D to Max isn't a simple matter. '
I agree that it will not be a 'push a button' kind of conversion. Actually I'm not so worried about my code (which I know well and which is fairly simple in its execution), it's the nuts and bolts of character animation, collision and the external libraries included. I'm hoping that a number of the SFX libraries can be biffed as they try to do things the Blitzmax3d module will likely offer as native features, but core stuff like Turltle's A* pathfinding - well, I'm hoping he might do an update, and that once the 3d module is out, others might convert their stuff to Bmax as well. And actually looking at Bmax my impression is that I'll be able to cut down much of my code (which is all chopped up into functions) and that at the end of the day, it's still Basic eh? I'm not porting from Basic to say, C++.
(Also, I think Mark (or Blitzsupport) has stated that it's recognised that the convertor is limited and that BRL will be looking at updating the convertor.)

'and program structure is very different in Max'
See above - but I'd be very interested in what others think about that - what their experience has been when converting existing Blitz code to Bmax.

'You may just find yourself rewriting the whole thing'
I think that statement is an exaggeration.

'If you are always holding out for the next big thing before release then you'll never release it'
If by 'always' you mean the length of time I've taken, well maybe. If you mean the number of programs/enginges I've gone through, that statement doesn't hold up (Blitz3d ->Bmax).

'Not to mention the 3D module doesn't look like it's arriving anytime soon'
I can wait.

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#19]
'You may just find yourself rewriting the whole thing'
I think that statement is an exaggeration.

I don't. You don't have Blitz Max do you? It's quite different.

If you mean the number of programs/enginges I've gone through, that statement doesn't hold up (Blitz3d ->Bmax).
No I mean once the 3D mod is out you'll then be waiting for the 3D update to the audio mod. Then once that's out you'll be waiting for the next major engine improvement. From watching this project from beginning to the present day I can already see that you're suffering with feature creep. Don't let engine creep scupper the project completely.

Sorry if I'm sounding negative, I'm not meaning to be. Just don't want to see such an exciting prospect as TU go to waste.

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#20]
'I don't. You don't have Blitz Max do you? It's quite different.'
I have the demo.

'then be waiting for the 3D update to the audio mod. Then once that's out you'll be waiting for the next major engine improvement'
Hmm, I'd expect Mark would likely release the 3dmod with 3daudio commands enabled. As for waiting for the next major engine improvement, that's conjecture on your part.

But I understand what you're saying. And of course I am continuing to develop in Blitz3d - so at the end of the day, if converting to BMax is a bridge too far, I'll release in Blitz3d (entitled Tank Universal, Daikatana Edition) ;-)

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#21]
Hmm, I'd expect Mark would likely release the 3dmod with 3daudio commands enabled
I believe Simon A. is the one who's writing the FreeAudio mod, and the basic mod is far from feature complete. And lets not mention the sound glitches as I think I've strayed far enough off topic as it is.

And of course I am continuing to develop in Blitz3d - so at the end of the day, if converting to BMax is a bridge too far, I'll release in Blitz3d (entitled Tank Universal, Daikatana Edition) ;-)
Fair enough. As long as development isn't waiting for Max3D then that's ok. Keep up the good work and keep us informed.

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#22]
Just to revive a deadish post - did some basic speed tests between Blitz3d and BlitzMax the other day, in terms of brute maths processing/number crumching.

Seems Blitzmax is about twice as fast as Blitz, ignoring any other stuff such as Bmax's inbuilt array sort functions (or what 3d rendering speedup Bmax might finally be able to deliver.)

...and I need that speed.