World Chat 3D (from dreamchat)

Community Forums/Showcase/World Chat 3D (from dreamchat)

SideBurn(Posted 2005) [#1]
You may remember this from rifrafs dreamchat, but i bought the rights to it last year and decided to get cracking on it, Below are some screenshots of current progress, note that the ninja model is only temp because i cannot find any low poly cartoony characters.

Currently we have another city being modelled and instead of flying heads you can now walk around and chat to people, just makes life easier.

Also we have server linking in so you can travel between citys nice and easy. Website coming soon.

Planned features are:

Some basic AI

Character models (help)

Editor so people can use our pre-made models and make there city how they want it

Much better gui

possibly a train or something to take you between citys

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#2]
this looks kinda neat...

where do the talk sentences appear... near the people avatars, or at a fixed position atop the scene...

--Mike

SideBurn(Posted 2005) [#3]
both, it comes up in a little chat bubble over the person who talks and it shows up on a fixed position on screen, i want to improve the gui so it logs nicely and alot easier to see whats going on etc. Best thing is it only shows whats being said close to you, so you can have a private convo with someone and not get bogged down in spam by other people

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#4]
comes up in a little chat bubble over the person who talks
Best thing is it only shows whats being said close to you

that's what i'm talking about... sounds like you've really got a handle on how to go about making a realistic virtual reality...

good luck... please keep the info coming...

--Mike

SideBurn(Posted 2005) [#5]
thanks, will do

SideBurn(Posted 2005) [#6]
any1 else got any good ideas that i could put in?

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#7]
You could have reminders to meet people at a certain place, and possibly a map. You could have competitions like a race. Something that could use the exsisting features of the engine.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#8]
to help finance the operation... you might solicit storefront ads from real companys, that link to their sites...

i mean, an ad on the side of the buildings... stuff like that...

--Mike

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#9]
I had working megatron billboards in it before i stopped working on it. that streamed in ads, so thats easy enough. I would like to see it get a net physics lib added so that you can manipulate objects with other poeple.

SideBurn(Posted 2005) [#10]
yea teh ad system is still in there, map could be a good idea too. good idea rif but is there much point in it?

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#11]
I think so yes. its kind of like asking is there much point in making a chat program in 3D. :) . I think if you had dynamic manipulation (physics) it would ad an element that would keep chatters intrigued by their environment.

I think you would have to check objects often, and if they are not in motion for more than x mintues than reset them to their orignal positions so they can be toppled again or whatever.

SideBurn(Posted 2005) [#12]
hmm, gonna have a think on that 1. could be used to add a game into it

Xzider(Posted 2005) [#13]
i remember this like a year ago lol...
Keep up work

puki(Posted 2005) [#14]
What is this? What does it do?

Xzider(Posted 2005) [#15]
you run around in a 3D world chatting to people..

Falelorn(Posted 2005) [#16]
so you added gravity and some more models...... looks the same as when Rif had it.

SideBurn(Posted 2005) [#17]
yea i aint been working on it much, but it does have server linking in now, anyway still working on it, got lots of ideas:)

p.s any low poly cartoony character models greatly appreciated:D (worth a shot)

Xzider(Posted 2005) [#18]
hope you make it bigger and better..

riff was suppose t omake me a admin..then he sold code=/

my name on it was booyah (haha)

SideBurn(Posted 2005) [#19]
bigger and better is what it will be. Just give me some time:)

Xzider(Posted 2005) [#20]
Good..I hope riff didnt waste the code.

SideBurn(Posted 2005) [#21]
nah, he didnt