Kong Fu project beta!

Community Forums/Showcase/Kong Fu project beta!

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've decided to dust off my old kung fu project and give it a good overhaul. Thankfully I had the sense to chuck the unholy spaghetti-code of the past out the window and start fresh, so this is a complete re-write. I set myself a deadline for September 13th to release a polished demo but I have been working so long and hard to get this working right that I really need to show something off right now! :p

The full demo will (hopefully) be bug-free, include at least one more character, have some AI running and feature kicks and individual styles for each.

Go on, give it a try! Some screenshots and a link to the zip file (9.5 megs) below:

http://dwarftek.com/cgi-bin/2.0bc.zip

Controls for Player 1:
y - up
h - down
g - left
j - right
lshift - punch
lctrl - kick

Controls for Player 2:
o - up
l - down
k - left
; - right
rshift - punch
rctrl - kick

To block, step back. To do a flip, tap back key twice. To run, tap forward twice. Press kick while running to do running attack. Press forward or back & kick while close to throw the opponent.

The key-mapping is horrible I know :) I will change it and include pad-support with the next release.

nawi(Posted 2005) [#2]
Wow seems nice. How did you make the characters?

EOF(Posted 2005) [#3]
Erik,
Brilliant!

Animation and overall graphics are tops.

How did you do such great animations?
How many moves do you have in there?
Are you going for a Street Fighter / Tekken approach? i.e. Combos?

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#4]
Awesome!!!!!

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks for the responses. Glad you like it :)

How did you make the characters?

Regular polygon meshes modelled in Silo, animated and rendered in c4d and retouched in Gimp. They're about 4000 tris each.

How did you do such great animations?

Whoa thanks! :) First I watch old hong kong movies for inspiration. Then I make a fool of myself in front of the mirror trying (and failing) to replicate the stuff I've seen. It doesn't matter if I can't do it right since I'm basically trying to get a feel of how the body would move so I can re-create it in 3D. That kind of makes it sound like my anims are complete movie rip-offs but they aren't. Really! :) Since I re-create them from memory and tweak them until they look right in the game they usually end up looking very different from the source material.

How many moves do you have in there?

I've done eight different styles so far where each has a light 5-punch combo, a medium 4-punch combo and a heavy 3-punch combo along with one or two aerial punches and one or two crouching attacks(depending on what the style is best at). There are also 3 kicking combos which are character-specific and since kicks can be mixed into the punching combos that means even if two characters use the same style they're still going to fight differently! Then there are two throws for each character, two aerial kicks and two crouching kicks.

Are you going for a Street Fighter / Tekken approach? i.e. Combos?

Yes. Not very innovative, but it's gonna be good!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#6]
Looking very impressive, although I haven't had time to try out the game properly yet - you really need a gamepad option ASAP. ;-)

One thing I didn't like and I think you should consider removing, is the extra nearside trees that are in shade - it just makes you look as if you're in a cartoon strip with those black lines and your view is obscured.

Apart from that well done - you deserve a medal for producing all those frames of animation! :-)

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#7]
Really liked this. Blitz needs a few classic one on one beat`em`ups and this certainly oozes quality. It`s funny actually as the other day I was wondering what had happened to this as I thought before that it had great potential. Keep going!

Jason.

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#8]
One thing I didn't like and I think you should consider removing, is the extra nearside trees that are in shade - it just makes you look as if you're in a cartoon strip with those black lines and your view is obscured.

Yeah, I was a little unsure about those. I feel a front layer is needed to avoid a "stage-like" feeling if you know what I mean but maybe I should restrict it to a couple of rocks and stuff instead.

Again, thanks for the feedback and kind words! It's great motivation :)

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#9]
Same as above. Looks great. With regards to the foreground trees, I think it's OK to block the view a little bit like that, but they look like they're fighting in a prison. Thick black bars. Umm, a very nicely decorated jungle prison. Anyway, realistically speaking, the trees in the foreground should be brighter than the trees in the background - that is, normal colour, then the background would be darker. Seems you have it around the other way - most probably because it's a game and the last thing one would want to do is detract from the play experience by shoving colourful crap in the foreground. Which would be fair enough.

As I said, I think blocking the view in parts is cool, but maybe a little more sporadically... the screenshots look like it's just a tall&narrow tile, I think a mixture of tree and shrubbery/rock could do well (bushes can be quite big sometimes, but you wouldn't want to tile them)... but don't just scrap the trees altogether =]

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#10]
Argh ... is it just me or are sticky keys popping up like crazy with the shift and control keys!!!

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#11]
I found the same with the sift and Ctrl keys on my kung fu platformer. Erik, try a search in the code archives as someone has written some code to disable the sticky keys function and I've used it sucessfully.

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#12]
Specifically, click here

Enjoy.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#13]
You lazy gits should turn StickyKeys off yourself =]

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#14]
BJ: see you've updated it to block task switching, thanks cool as I had a separate dll to do that.

Vanilla: A pro game can't expect users to switch that crap off, they'd never read the instructions anyway.

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#15]
Thanks, I'll have a look. I forgot all about the Stickykeys horror.

puki(Posted 2005) [#16]
Oooooh, this looks good. I love the background (very atmospheric).

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#17]
Looks great. Thing is the Kick key (Shift) totally fails on my Laptop for both players, don't know why.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#18]
We need some scantily dressed fighters ;o) Looks good. I played this before, and it seemed decent :o) Good luck! And remember the scantily clad woman!

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#19]
Vanilla: A pro game can't expect users to switch that crap off, they'd never read the instructions anyway.

I've never come across any AAA title that turns off these functions for me. I have come across MANY AAA titles that instruct users how to turn off StickyKeys in the readme.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#20]
Oh OK, It's just that I play loads of FPSs and use shift to run and sticky keys has NEVER popped up in one of them, but in the Blitz Game I was making, it popped up in about 5 mins! Maybe we are talking different types of AAA games.

Jams(Posted 2005) [#21]
" We need some scantily dressed fighters ;o)"

Don't forget the bouncing breasts!

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#22]
There will be no bouncing monster-size breasts. The Dead or Alive series have already implemented this with disturbing detail and I have neither the skill nor the will to match them, sorry ;o)

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#23]
i sure do........

markcw(Posted 2005) [#24]
Neuro, is that skill or will or both?

Xip(Posted 2005) [#25]
looks very nice, I havent tryed it yet... but i will in a few sec... this is extra fun sence im starting my Kung-fu/Wushu in 5 days *cant wait!*

[edit]
oky, now I'v tryed it, and its very nice, extra so the animations :)
but it laks some moves of course (if i found them all that is)... still, i think this is some very nice work and a great start :)

and oh yeas, i got stuck in a strange flickering bug(unable to hitt opponent) after pressing ALT key?

other than that, keep the nice work up m8 :]

DH(Posted 2005) [#26]
nice looking, but the controls are horrid! It took me 10 min just to figure out my computer hadn't halted and that the selection key at the intro screen was "h" and the enter key was "left ctrl"

Then hitting shift 5 times (after figuring out the keys) kicked me back to desktop with that stupid xp shift key thingy...

Please use arrow keys for selections, enter key for selections, num pad for player 2 movements, and wasd (and near) keys for player 1. Ising system keys like ctrl, alt, shift can cause adverse problems based on some users setups.

The GFX are nice though :-)

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#27]
Maybe we are talking different types of AAA games.

I suppose there's a possibility that we play different FPS's... I know I had the StickyKeys problem around the Half Life 1 era ;]

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#28]
this is extra fun sence im starting my Kung-fu/Wushu in 5 days *cant wait!*

Cool! I always wanted to start on that myself but don't have the time :'( Have fun.

but it laks some moves of course (if i found them all that is)...

No kicks yet, but they're coming!

and oh yeas, i got stuck in a strange flickering bug(unable to hitt opponent) after pressing ALT key?

When you press ALT your player tries to switch styles but only one is there. Not a bug, just incomplete code.

Please use arrow keys for selections etc...

I've added key customization and arrows/enter will always work for menu selection in the next release.