EZCloud

Community Forums/Showcase/EZCloud

DH(Posted 2005) [#1]
Well, been working on a cloud library. So far it's proven to be pretty fast..

Beta Demo here:
http://www.kcstudios.net/EZCloud/EZCloud_Beta1.zip

Samples included... Planning on a release early next week.

This was inspired by the cloud system for MS Flight Simulator 2005. I tried to emulate everything I could (minus the shaders of course). I intend to port it to Blitzmax (when the 3d module comes out) and make that update free to registered users.

The software will include (at release) the EZCloud builder (Pictured above) and the library to run the clouds saved out. All clouds are entitites that can be moved, scaled, rotated, etc. The release will also include a huge selection of samples as well.

Clouds are fully configurable and customizable.

From the library one could create simple cloud lanscapes, tornadoes (moving in real time), explosions, volumetric fog, and a few other things I haven't thought of due to exaustion :-)

Feedback welcome ;-)

Difference(Posted 2005) [#2]
They look insanely cool!.
I WISH I was doing something that needed clouds!

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#3]
me too haha. Dog Fight anyone?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#4]
Oooh, they're floaty light.

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#5]
well done! Great object handling too.

meemoe_uk(Posted 2005) [#6]
Your all mistaken, what dark half's got there is an out of focus cotton wool simulator. Disapointment for all those working on flight simulators, good news for all those working on sheep simulators. Won't mention any names.

DH(Posted 2005) [#7]
Your all mistaken, what dark half's got there is an out of focus cotton wool simulator. Disapointment for all those working on flight simulators, good news for all those working on sheep simulators. Won't mention any names.

I'm hoping that's a joke, cause I'm not sure how to take that.

Suppose I should throw some tech demos together to show a few applications that this can be used for.

Thus far I have been able to do over 5,000 cloud particles (about 500 nicely looking clouds, so your talking 10,000 polygons) on a P4 2.3 with a Geforce 4200 at 30FPS. The majority of the time is in the re-sorting of the cloud particles to keep them in order for correct alpha.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#8]
Yup yup - give as a running demo!

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#9]
Indeed Dark Half - how to take that? If it's ment to be serious, well I disagree. It can produce very nice clouds and I see there has been gone a lot work into the editor.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#10]
DH..keep it work..this is nice and good looking stuff...

Filax(Posted 2005) [#11]
Great render !!!!

DH(Posted 2005) [#12]
Still pushing to release...

Just finished up the Help document (went all out on it, even tutorials, and how to use the EZCloud library for yoru blitz projects).

Recoded the file format (went a 'chunk' route like 3ds files do, feel it allows me expansion and backwards compadiblity).

Found a huge bug, when i save a file, then re open it, i loose 3-5 particles... Trying to narrow it down, then it will be ready for the general public.

Still working on some awsome demos.

Speed update: Was able to do 10,000 particles (20,000 polygons) at 30 fps on a 2.4 Ghz with intel 865g gfx.

DH(Posted 2005) [#13]
Anyone have a nice looking terrain I can use and add clouds and sky too (possibly some weather effects as well)?

My terrain creation skills are very lacking.

Filax(Posted 2005) [#14]
if you want you can take terraed demo media :)
just specify your sources :)

polygoon(Posted 2005) [#15]
DH, he must have been kidding; I do sims (modeller not coder) and I was well pleased to see it posted. Made me giggle and I don't have a sense of humour ;O)

Was just about to mail you about it to say so, and to mention one or two other things, but you're a hard person to get in touch with. <shrug>

Falelorn(Posted 2005) [#16]
how is this coming?

Nmuta(Posted 2006) [#17]
What happened to this tool? Has it vanished?

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#18]
And what about fredborg's [c]loud or c[l]oud, or whatever??

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#19]
Yeah, what has happened to this?
The links are down and the pictures not showing up. Is there any way that I could get this?