Quest Master - WIP

Community Forums/Showcase/Quest Master - WIP

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#1]
Well I've finally got something to show on this project. I have an extreemly long way to go but I thought I'd let people see that I am actually working on this. A Windows executbale is available here:

http://www.scottshaver2000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=439#439

Please note that this really shows only how the administration type screen are working. I have a long way to go before the game play gets worked on.

Why0Why(Posted 2005) [#2]
I think this is a good start. Keep up the good work.

I know you already have built a custom data loader, but you may want to consider looking at using XML for all of your data. There is a free bMax library out there to read and write XML. I think Noel Cower wrote it.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanksm for the info.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#4]
Okay a new version is up to show the progress and get feedback. Check it out here (note this is a different link because I'm keeping the different versions so I can see it progress):

http://www.scottshaver2000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=442#442

Let me know what you think.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#5]
Ah just tried a nice scripty type font in the program, makes it look a hundred times better. It will be in the next update.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#6]
For folks that don't like to DL what they can't see here are some screen shots. Note that the current zip doesn't use that font. The next one will.

http://www.scottshaver2000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=115

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#7]
Alrighty a new version is up. I played with the skin and added the help system. Also you can create/save/load/delete/equip characters now.

http://www.scottshaver2000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=462#462

Let mw know what you think of the new skin so far. I want to make sure I'm going in the right direction.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#8]
new screen shots: http://www.scottshaver2000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=465#465

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#9]
Okay so I've finished the basics of the system, context sensitive help, weapons, armor, general inventory, classes, races, character management (create/save/delete), die rolling, money handling and purchasing equipment. Now I'm entering the more difficult area of quest (module) management.

I'm going to use LUA as a sripting language, that decision is made and I'm comfortable with it. What I'm having a really hard time getting my head wrapped around is how much of the system is scripted.

I had intended to use the scripting to handle PC to NPC conversations. The quest builder should be able to place special NPCs into the game world that have special interaction with the PC. So the builder will have to be able to script any conversations for these NPCs.

Also I thought it would be nice if the builder could modify the maps using the scripting language. So he could say "The PC did some action, no open a locked door somewhere else in the map.".

I can't quite seem to figure out exactly where to put these hooks in. For instance should there be a generic LUA hook to call a particular script after evey character movement?

What other scripting hooks should be supplied?

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#10]
Okay below is an image I've been fooling around with to try and figure out how I want the interface to work. My primary goal is to allow the user to play using only the mouse. I know the graphics suck but I would like to know if people think the layout and idea is okay. The buttons when activated either remove the information next to them or make it appear.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#11]
I think thats workable, still got plenty of visual play-area

nicely presewnted!

PS - you spelled 'Rogue' wrong ;)

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#12]
Thanks for the input and for catching the spelling error. :) Here is another moch-up what do you think about this one?

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#13]
don't have all that border bumf, it wastes a load of screen space.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#14]
Okay I see your point, how about something along these lines?

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#15]
I think that your text at the bottom is WAY to big, i mean ~6 lines takes up about 1/3 (i just tested in paint and it does) and i don't realy like the shadow, mabeys its too soft but i just don't like it. I also think that the red on the buttons is a bit to bold, I prefered the way they looked in your first screenie. Oh and loss that glow I think the stats looked way better when they didn't have the glowing border.

The layout, tho, is good but just a little thing I would change is to have the target icon level with the heart icon.

EDIT: Btw whats going in the side bits of the text?

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#16]
Alright, I think I'm getting there. Thanks for the input guys. Changed the font font, killed the frame glow, changed the buttons from red to a dark blue and moved the target icon up.

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#17]
wooo, thats much much much better, i would move the text in the the boxes below the heart icon into the center more, like text in the target icon box:

Before:

After:

but overall, kool!!!

Btw, thats a kooool looking dude!!! :) - looks almost like the characters in Exile but a bit more cartoony* which I think goes well with the HUD

EDIT: If you moved the icons in the left box to the bottom, but above the QuestMaster logo, i think that you could fit a portriat view in there, of course thats if you wanted to :)

EDIT 2: Your progress is making me REALY want to get on with my project - good luck with yours :)

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#18]
The guy came from here

just using him as a place holder for now. Although they are public domain so I guess I could really use him. :) Good luck on your project as well, I didn't have the guts to try an ISO engine. :)

Shrank down the console area a bit and moved the Current (weapon,item, spell) stuff up into the play area. Moved the Weapons,Spells,Items,Armor buttons to the left side. Also added an auto map in the lower right corner.

I think this is the layout I'm going to use.

Bremer(Posted 2005) [#19]
Looks rather nice, so it keep going with this.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#20]

found a nice set of graphics that are free to use here: http://www.molotov.nu/?page=graphics#Angband

look at the Angband Graphics section, these are going to be great to get me going.

Bremer(Posted 2005) [#21]
There are some great sprites on that website. I'll bookmark that in case I ever get started on a game again.

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#22]
me 2, thats a kool site Scott, thx for the url, btw the screenie above looks kool, i didn't even think about putting a minimap there :) - Great use of space.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#23]
Okay spiffed it up a little more.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#24]
Ignore the placement of the buttons for now.

Which style do you like better?

A:

B:

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#25]
A cause its less formal

Matt McFarland(Posted 2005) [#26]
I like A better too, with the buttons in better places of course :)

big10p(Posted 2005) [#27]
Which style do you like better?
You really need to ask??? That formal-looking GUI couldn't look more out of place. :)

Avon(Posted 2005) [#28]
[A] gets my vote too.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#29]
A, it has more atmos, you can always stick one word under each icon.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#30]
Thanks guys, style A it is, with words under the icons.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#31]
the words should be in Ye olde english stle in black, maybe with a white/grey outline for clarity.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#32]
Okay that got rid of a bunch of code and menu handling crap.

Why0Why(Posted 2005) [#33]
That last one looks great!

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#34]
Thanks, I'm still not happy with the font but I'm really happy about having removed the GUI menus. :)

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#35]
Yippee! I finally have some real integration. Below is a screenshot of the game in play for REAL. The character has continued a quest loaded from disk. The messages in the console are from the LUA init script and the map has been loaded via the LUA init script.