Control Monger - Free online multiplayer FPS

Community Forums/Showcase/Control Monger - Free online multiplayer FPS

King Dave(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello all,
I'd like to invite you to help us test Control Monger which is due to be released in roughly three weeks.

Background:
Control Monger is a 100% free online multiplayer FPS (first person shooter) where you take control of a bot and fight in teams to win a match.
Each bot has different weapons and its own special abilities. For example the Construction bot has a machine gun, side arm and laser and has the ability to build or repair objects on the map (doors, bridges, etc) as well as place auto firing turrets.
There are seven types of bot and two main game types (Death Match and Capture the Flag). We also have more game types coming soon such as Objective and King of the Hill. Each map type also supports both team and free for all modes.

Games can have (in theory) up to 255 players (although graphics will get way too laggy with current CPU/graphics cards - however in years to come it may be possible :))
We will also be allowing players to easily create their own maps and will be creating some tutorials shortly.

More info can be read on the official site: www.controlmonger.com and on the forums at forum.freeworldonline.com

Screenshots:
Just a few screenshots to look at

More here

Blitz related info:
The game was written entierly in BlitzBasic3D. Dedicated server runs on the same code but is optimized by not rendering any graphics and cutting out any visual only code (such as particle effects).
We made use of GLET for the map editing and Particle Candy for the particle effects (although both were modified a bit to get exactly what we wanted). Otherwise all the code (with the exception of a couple of userlibs such as stickkeys, blitzclose and blitzsys) was written from scratch.
All the media (maps, bots, sounds, etc) were made especially for this game.

Test signup
If you'd like to help test and remove bugs before we release signup and download from www.controlmonger.com/signup.php (45MB)

I'd love to hear any comments, suggestions, first impressions, etc.

Thanks for reading

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#2]
All hail to King Dave!

How's freeworld doing? This looks great too!

I must ask - how do you generate an income for your projects? Or are you an incredibly wealthy chap who just loves building fab free games for us to troll about in?

Best regards,

IPete2.

King Dave(Posted 2005) [#3]
ha, yeah I need to start making some money out of this... we plan an extended version of Control Monger with additional features. We'll charge a small one off fee for people who want it, so thats my current plan to get a bit of income :)

FreeWorld is coming along slowly, its on hold until this is released though. Sadly the project is so vast that the end still appears to be a fair way off though.

Oh and I'm not rich, far from it sadly. I've been very lucky to work with some true pro's free of charge to get these projects so far along.

boomboommax(Posted 2005) [#4]
should make a nice gui, the one in the pics looks like a quick debugging gui kinda thing

King Dave(Posted 2005) [#5]
Fair point, it was only created in paint (I never intended to keep it, just kinda stuck :))

trb(Posted 2005) [#6]
Hi,

Very nice visuals, players and levels are very nicely detailed. My computer specs generally don't give me good performance on FPS's, so I got some severe slowdown here and there..but incredibly smooth in other areas. not too many people were on, but I'd imagine the slowdown would be a disadvantage if several people were on me. turning all of the settings to min improved performance,but still had slowdwon issues. Overall, with more people on looks like it could be a very fun FPS!

p3, 1.0 ghz, 256MB ram, ati 64mb, win2k

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#7]
Very nice project. Keep it up!

King Dave(Posted 2005) [#8]
trb - glad to hear it was at least was semi-playable on your specs, not really tested it on low specs.

jfk - thanks :) will do, patching daily with fixes/new features

Andres(Posted 2005) [#9]
Every second thread in the CM bug report forum is saying about MAV :D. The game is really good, but i personally didn't like very much the movement. I think it was too slow and static.

King Dave(Posted 2005) [#10]
Heya,
The MAV reports are coming from 2 or 3 specific people, most players appear to never recieve one or only get one very occasionally. (I myself have not had one in a release build for a long time)

I've narrowed down one of them to sound problems (turning off all sounds in my code or disabling the audio driver fixed it for him).

Another one randomly recieves a MAV on RenderWorld and then the game will then MAV on startup until a reboot... DirectX playing up maybe?

So for the most part CM seems MAV free, but out of interest has anyone on here recieved a MAV from playing CM?

May I ask what bots you tried Andres, the movement differs with each so if you tried the heavy gunner then yes its slow :) Also did you find the boost button (tab)?

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#11]
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=50720

Dr. Wildrick(Posted 2005) [#12]
I have a proposition for you,
You add 3D lCD galees support with our TruDimension LCD Glasses library, ans well whill ship a demo versin with our software with a link to your site to buy it - we both win. Contact me at Director@... and we can discuss it.
Cheers,
Dr. Wildrick

HopeDagger(Posted 2005) [#13]
I'd be weary of any business proposition with spelling that bad, if I were you.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#14]
^^ :D

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#15]
Fun game, it's very similar to my own True-Vol but polished up quite a bit more.

Xzider(Posted 2005) [#16]
very fun game