The World Of Tomorrow

Community Forums/Showcase/The World Of Tomorrow

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#1]
The World of Tomorrow. Good name? Or am I breaching (c)? I know it's a popular phrase... It fits with the game. It's an apocalyptic future.

2D tile based maps, with per pixel lighting and normal maping, and ray traced shadows.

Need One character artist. If you're interesting, reply here or send an e-mail Antony@....

Loot Phrase:No timewasterss.

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#2]
per pixel lighting and normal maping, and ray traced shadows

With all that hi-tech gubbins going on, whay not call it The World After Tomorrow ... TWAT

On a more serious note... what is going on renderingwise in that central area ??

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#3]
I didn't get the connection between Twat The World after tomorrow for a second. I nearly told you to (Bleep) off..

The middle part is just a different funky metal tile. Hurry up Dampe.

Character artist...Your characters will be integrated into the light sourcing going on up there. That turns you on? It should.

skyfire1(Posted 2005) [#4]
i could help but i don't know how good a 2d artist i really am.

skyfire1(Posted 2005) [#5]
nah, i don't think i'm that good yet.

Regular K(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thats pretty neat stuff, can we get a demo?!

Probby not, worth a try =/

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#7]
Need One character artist. If you're interesting, reply here or send an e-mail Antony@....

I'm interesting, but I'm a hopeless artist.

skyfire1(Posted 2005) [#8]
"If you're interesting, reply here or send an e-mail Antony@...."

people don't say i'm interesting. people say i'm plain weird.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#9]
Any chance of a tech demo, Ant?

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#10]
I'm interesting, but I'm a hopeless artist.

Oh come on, don't say that.

You're not interesting at all.

:)

Any chance of a tech demo, Ant?

Yeah. I posted the source code in the bug report section if you want to check it out now. You'll need to supply your own tiles/normal maps though. Tech demo won't..Has it's own custom file format.

maximo(Posted 2005) [#11]
This looks great ant. It would been even better if you could pull this of in perspective view as I suggested before :)

Hope you find the artist:)

Keep it up!

skyfire1(Posted 2005) [#12]
hee's not gonna find a artist if he keeps insulting people.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#13]
he's just playing around... loosen up dat pocket protector a bit sky... :)

--Mike

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#14]
Red October Sky. All we need a forum member named vanilla and we're good to go...

http://www.dreamspaced.com/arpg.rar <- Tech Demo. Engine now has a custom format that saves and compresses all tiles into a single map file.

Latest Source Included.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#15]

Map Editor with Custom Gui

maximo(Posted 2005) [#16]
Making main character for this should not be hard. If he is going to be seen from above, all you gonna see is head, hands and his feet. You should be able to make that easy in max, even the simple animations.

boomboommax(Posted 2005) [#17]
bit high contrast

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#18]
you could have iso-type characters in an overhead game, that would be REALLY oldschool

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#19]
this is cute (nice work)... but i really was expecting Trinity's younger brother...

--Mike

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#20]
Red, what does that mean? I fail to see the connection.

Slenker, yeah. Not many old skool games had normal mapped levels though :) Though Maximo makes a good point. It's easier doing it overhead. Havn't got a character artist yet anyway so it's all mute. I mean moot.

Cyanide. Your mum.

:)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#21]
the 3D engine... THE 3D ENGINE!!!! you crazed genius...

this is really cute and all, but 2D is for whimps!!! (*** oh oh ***)... where's dat(dose) 3D engine(s) you were working on...

(oh, and thanks for putting Vivid into the freeware market... very nice of you)

--Mike

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#22]
Well this just went (psudeo) 3d :)

Check other thread.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#23]
I only get a white screen on the demo,
are you using 32-bit color mode?

nawi(Posted 2005) [#24]
Slenkar did you add your own tiles to the .bmx directory?

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#25]
Slenker, no, 0. Defaults to your desktop. You need your own tiles. thye can be any size but prefably but it needs to be uniform.

You also need a matching nm<TileName>.bmp (Has to be bmp. Or was it png? No...go with bmp...then...try png) for the normal mapping, depending on what version you're trying. I can't recall what this is now.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#26]
I put a file tile.bmp in the same folder as the ,exe file but still a black screen, the other blitzmax product demos work though

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#27]
You're not explaining too well. Are you running a .exe version, or source code?

.Exe versions are tied to the dir structure "dat\tile\" source..change it to the path at the top.

I put the tiles in the exe version didn't i? I'm sure I did. Wait..did I even release an exe version?