Caboodle Released

Community Forums/Showcase/Caboodle Released

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#1]
The shop and website will not go live until Monday 15th August

Demo Limited to 60 mins play time. Windows 98/XP/2000 version only. Mac to follow soon.

Features 2 different modes of play.

- Casual - Match the blocks and capture the Gems to progress to the next level. (My Fav)
- Classic - Constant Block dropping action, score well to progress and unlock new scenes.

Download now from here

Note: If you have downloaded and played pre-release version of Caboodle the Demo Timer will be reset.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#2]
Good luck! I'll take a look later.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#3]
Wow, seems really good and polished. Took me a few minutes to realise what is going on. The hints on the start page were a teeny bit to fast for me to read AND absorb at the same time. But it plays bery nice and is addictive. Sound FX are good, music is fine graphics look great. Hope it does well.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks Grey, We've actually got GEOM customers in a queue to purchase this baby... How cool is hat.

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#5]
Good Luck tim !

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#6]
Your download size for the demo is way off, it says 4.4Mb on the website, when in fact the file is 8.2Mb.

Also there is a problem with the fullscreen mode on my gfx card (using latest drivers)... The screen is cropped off (640x480 top left corner showing), but I'm thinking this is a BMax problem, because I've noticed this in a few other bmax projects after upgrading my drivers. This is only a problem in 800x600 mode...

[edit]Muaha, fiddling a bit with the drivers, I got it working... so never mind. My monitor didn't tell the graphics card what it could and couldn't do...

daaan(Posted 2005) [#7]
I love lumines. I just hope you don't run into any legal issues when you are trying to sell this. Good job, very polished.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#8]
@tank, legal advice is not cheap and I took lots of it.

@Fredborg, thanks for the feedback, webpage is changed.

Genexi2(Posted 2005) [#9]
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/puzzle/caboodle/index.html

Would be nice if one day, big-name game review sites like IGN or GameSpot actually get an Indie-game review section going on.
(well, more-so GameSpot then IGN, they have more mature editors)

G'luck with selling this btw, looks polished enough to attract a few heads who have never played Lumines. (which I still play daily)

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#10]
Nice work, man. Congrats on getting it done, and good luck with the sales.

boomboommax(Posted 2005) [#11]
i think there should be legal ways of stopping game ideas like Lumines to be ripped so much. after all its not just another fps etc

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#12]
@Genexi2, thanks for the link, where did they get those old screenshots from?

@Everyone, although Caboodle may look similar to Lumines and has groups of 4 blocks that drop that is where the similarities stop. We have three types of blocks that are dropped, Lumines has two. We have two types of Powerups, Lumines has one. We have Gems that you have to collect that are essential to scoring bonus points, Lumines does not. Lumines gameplay relies on a constant sweep bar, we do not - block destruction is activated by you creating the first block. We introduce blocks from the bottom of the grid to increase difficulty, Lumines does not. We have a level based system, Lumines does not. We have pulses that are charged and remove complete lines of blocks, Lumines does not. The grid does not even have the same dimensions! Shall I continue?

Geehawk(Posted 2005) [#13]
All very polished and slick, but I still have no idea (well a little one) as to whats going on.
I found it telling me Level complete, but I'm not sure what happend to achieve this...

Again the instrustions dissapear before the information is absorbed.

And I have never heard of Lumines.

Oh and I'm really not inclined to buy something that pushes and reminds you to buy at every turn, twice on exit...

Geehawk(Posted 2005) [#14]
As a bit of additional info. I persevered and after 20 minutes or so of continual play, I still have no clue whats going on, and only just noticed the "next" box, although if you have time to look at whats coming and plan ahead then your brain is far superior to mine ;-)
After 30 mins or so, at a change of "levels" just as the tiles changed pattern etc. The game quit back to XP desktop. No errors. No nothing

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#15]
@Geehawk, congrats on playing for so long and not knowing what to do.. there must be something in the game eh. I'll look into the bug you reported, did you get a NAG screen just before It quit?

Geehawk(Posted 2005) [#16]
No NAG.

Its wierd. All the time I was playing I was "hating" the sound effects and not knowing really what happening, but I couldn't stop playing :-D

Old AMD 700Mhz, 256 ram, Geforce4 MX 4000, Win XP SP2

Genexi2(Posted 2005) [#17]
where did they get those old screenshots from?

No clue, I thought those games had to be tossed up by the publisher (or developer, cant recall) themself, even Sybixus's Pool & Bowling games are on GameSpot.

Free publication if you ask me either way, though it does concern me yer title was thrown up there without your consent. =\

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#18]
Another review! They basically claim it's a Lumines clone though (not familiar with it myself)...

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60524

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#19]
Yeah, those nasty people at Eurogamer - they rip the game to bits, make judgements and don't even download it.

Shame on them :P

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#20]
Shame about the stinky review, I think it's wrong, but there we go. Tim: The review says you are Doset based, well so am I. I live in Bridport (West Dorset) how about you?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#21]
I'm in Poole, I travel down your way at weekends when we (wife and daughter) go camping... Catch you for a beer sometime :D

I'm happy we are getting the coverage, not many make it to Eurogamer and Gamespot, we must be doing something right... And lol at Teeth (on Eurogamer) it was called indiepath.asteroids Duh.....

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#22]
Tim: Email me sometime when your around my way then. I work flexi hours so can meet you any time.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#23]
It gives an error message after I install and run,
after the nag screen it says general protection fault Win98

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#24]
@Slenkar,

What version of 98 have you got? I've tested this fully on win98 SE and have had no issues.

Can you please post a spec of your win98 machine.

Thanks.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#25]
The win98 issue was introduced in the latest version, apologies, it was an error with the armadillo wrapper which bugged out if I did not display an exit reminder screen.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#26]
did you fix it and upload yet?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#27]
Yeah, sorry it's been up there for hours.