3D Starstrike Remake (Image heavy)

Community Forums/Showcase/3D Starstrike Remake (Image heavy)

Uncle(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello All,

Its been a long time since I plugged my little project here, so here goes...

Im remaking the ZX Spectrum classic 3D Starstrike by Realtime games who later when on to make Carrier Command etc. Anyway my project has been going on for a while and things are coming along nicely. Nice enough to show some screen shots anyway.

This is the latest shot in the trench, and showing the new cockpit textures.

This is in the trench again (before new cockpit). I am using Gile[s] for the light mapping. The trench walls will also get a bit of rework before its finished.

And heres on of the surface run...

As you can see there is still some way to go, but its coming along. The menus system / Hi-score system is almost in place. But work is still needed in a few other areas before and beta will be release.

For more info check out my site (link is at the bottom).

Cheers,

Unc

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#2]
Looks lovely. A bit odd to call it a re-make of a game which was itself an unnoficial remake.

Anyway, very stylish.

Liberator(Posted 2005) [#3]
Dude, looks awesome! I don't find myself saying it very often on this site, but when I do I mean it: I can't wait to play this game!

Uncle(Posted 2005) [#4]
A bit odd to call it a re-make of a game which was itself an unnoficial remake

I know what you mean. But on the speccy Starstrike was out before the official game, and IMHO I thought this played better. Therefore it my little homage to the works of realtime who did a great job considering the technology.

The official version was a bit of let down I thought. It was two years too late and starstrike had already done the genre better. The official version didn't even have sound.

Glad you like the screenshots though, and thanks for the kind comments.

Cheers,

Unc

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#5]
Lookin very awesome. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the demo!

EOF(Posted 2005) [#6]
Looks the business. I'm also looking forward to this.

Rimmsy(Posted 2005) [#7]
Sweet! looks awesome. Looking forward to this one.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#8]
Looking good!

Genexi2(Posted 2005) [#9]
Death Star anyone? >.>

Joke aside, there going to be any joystick support? Would like to give my dual-analog gamepad a whirl sometime soon.

Like how clean the cockpit of the fighter looks as well, is there going to be any movement inside the 'pit when you're controlling the ship around, or is it glued to the camera?

Uncle(Posted 2005) [#10]
Wow, thanks for the comments guys. I wasn't sure if I was heading the right direction, but your feedback has reassured me.

is there going to be any movement inside the 'pit when you're controlling the ship around, or is it glued to the camera?

Nope its not glued to the camera. Its rocks and roll, and shudders when you get hit. There are also two other view modes (Cockpit, No cockpit and outside view).

Joke aside, there going to be any joystick support?

I really hope I can get this working nicely. I bought a game pad just to test it, and I have also bought the Force Feedback plugin to add in. I did some tests a few weeks ago and work nicely. If you get hit buy the enemy my gamepad rummbled, and hit a tower you get a different effect. So all going well and after a few tweaks it should include a joystick routine. However I very much doubt I will include a digital joystick or keyboard routine as the it really doesnt suit this game.

Cheers,

Unc

angel martinez(Posted 2005) [#11]
Looks very good.I like very much the cockpit and the hud.

Viperfish(Posted 2005) [#12]
Well done, mate. Very nice looking. I like the way the explosions bounce across the landscape. I downloaded the video of the tunnel run off your website. Put's my project to shame. Keep up the good work.

Genexi2(Posted 2005) [#13]
However I very much doubt I will include a digital joystick or keyboard routine as the it really doesnt suit this game.

How about mouse control? That's how I used to play X-Wing back in the good ol' MS-DOS days, more precise aiming then a joystick, with the draw-back being having to pick-up the mouse and place it back down 100 times a minute.

Should include a keyboard routine though for those without access to such peripherals (especially ones that aint utter crap), just need to make use of accerlated movement with digital controls, I found Microsoft's Starlancer to have done that perfectly. But then again from the looks of things this game is more faster paced then that, so I guess it could be hard to tell whether it is worth the time & effort or not. =\

Uncle(Posted 2005) [#14]
How about mouse control?

At the moment the main control system is mouse driven. You basically move the cursor with the mouse and shoot. The ship moves with the cursor i.e. you move the cursor left the ship banks left (don't worry its not as complicated as it sounds and moves quite well). Its very easy to play like that and very responsive.

I will have a look at how Starlancer handles the keyboard routine and see if I can put something similar in.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#15]
Looks like Star Wars - Deathstar trench....

Hope you have Photon Torpedos?!? :D

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#16]
If it plays as good as it looks, I would pay for this.

Uncle(Posted 2005) [#17]
If it plays as good as it looks, I would pay for this.

No need to pay, as it will be free. Its just my little hobby to teach myself Blitz.

If you want to see how it moves then click this link to see the trench scene

Movie Link (10MB)

Cheers,

Unc

PS Please dont' think I am rude if I dont post any replies for a couple of weeks, its just because Im off on holiday.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#18]
Excellent - I look forward to it.

danjo(Posted 2005) [#19]
looks excellent. i love the HUD.
btw the movie shows this is going to be a great game.

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#20]
WELL DONE!

Looks and plays very well. I love the controls of the ship.
I had some problems though:

1. Framerate decreases a lot with lots of particles. Perhaps setting the maximal amount in the form of "effects low/med/high" could be added?

2. Problems looking for the enemy. I played a space shooters years ago, forgot the name, but there the enemies and friends were visible with a colored bounding box around the 3d model. The bounding box dissapeared when the object was very close (alpha), and resized to a minimum of lets say 64 x 64 pixels when the object was far away.

3. The planet flickered a lot. (Stripes)

Uncle(Posted 2005) [#21]
Ok, holiday over... and back to work on 3D Starstrike.

@ Jeroen - Ummm Im confused. So far I have only released movies of the game. I haven't released any of the space scene featuring the planet. Therefore I think you may be commenting on another game. Perhaps its the game JOHNFROMPERTH is working on.

Cheers,

Unc

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#22]
Dude! It really is looking fantastic! That movie just blew me away!

Avon(Posted 2005) [#23]
Just wanted to add my voice to the others... this looks amazing and I can't wait to play it! Keep up the great work Uncle!

Viperfish(Posted 2005) [#24]
Jeroen,

I think you must be talking about my game. The current download has some issues including the ones you talked about. It's an easy mistake as it is similar (but no where near as polished) to Unc's game.

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#25]
LOL SORRY! JohnFromPerth: you are right, after playing I lost the forum post. I didn't expect two star-wars-space-kinda-shooters on one page :-P

Hehehe. Sorry for the confusement

puki(Posted 2005) [#26]
Oooh, this looks exciting.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#27]
Uncle, any new news on this project?

Uncle(Posted 2006) [#28]
Hi, yes indeed its still ongoing. Real life has been getting in away a lot, but whenever I can I tinker with it a little more. Since the original post I have moved house and country three times, and Im currently travelling between Scotland and Sri Lanka three weeks on and three weeks off for a project Im working on.

However I havent been lazy and have made two other games in between. I released 3D Ant Attack remake, and I also entered the Retro Remakes Compo with a remake of Highway Encounter. Its a little buggy at the moment, but will get finished in the next couple of weeks. Then its back full time (as full time as it can be) on 3D SS. In the meantime I will also update my website this week with more info.

Cheers,

Unc

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#29]
Good to hear, I love the old star wars arcade game and this here looks right up my alley. :)

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#30]
yeh me too - "look at the size of that thing!"...er... :p ;)

Uncle(Posted 2008) [#31]
Hello all,

One year later I know, but better late than never. The game is now complete and available to download at www.starstrike.urbaninteractive.net

Cheers,

Unc

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#32]
i completely forgot about this. exellent job, very professional looking imo.

puki(Posted 2008) [#33]
Nice one "Uncle" - nice site too, showing the history and stuff.

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#34]
Just downloaded it... I give in... What are the controls?

Mouse moves the cursor, left button shoots... can't seem to do anything else apart from get shot.

[edit]Ah! I get it... You're supposed to shoot their bullets!

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#35]
nice game!! Groovy music, fun game, though it was relatively impossible until I realized that HOLDING DOWN the mouse will shoot, instead of clicking furiously. And to that point:

TOP HIGH-SCORE, JERKS!!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2008) [#36]
Looks good, downloading now...

I loved the Atari ST version of the Star Wars game I had.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#37]
i had a cracked st or amiga starwars where someone had over dubbed the propper words

"fire the fookin misile"
"gha shot dooown" which got re used when i was pressganged into blaize of glory by bon jovie

Uncle(Posted 2008) [#38]
New version is now available from http://www.starstrike.urbaninteractive.net which makes the first stage a lot fairer for the player.

Cheers,

Unc

Foolish(Posted 2008) [#39]
This really raises the bar on what a one man show can do.

Wow. Awesome work, amigo.

I gotta go back and play it again.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2008) [#40]
very cool! Makes me want to mod it and put tie fighters in there.

Zeotrope(Posted 2008) [#41]
Was the spectrum version really out b4 the original???

I am 41 and used to play the original "Star Wars" outside the Roxt cinema in Parramatta (Sydney Australia)

Really?

AdrianT(Posted 2008) [#42]
heh cool, the original Starwars cabinet version was probably my most favourite arcade game of all time. Was just old enough that it was easy to get lost in the game and imagine I was really there. The sampled voices were amazing when it first came out lol. Bought starwars for the ST or was it the Amiga, the minute it came out :)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2008) [#43]
This is absolutely friggin' fantasitc! I'll be playing this for sometime to come.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2008) [#44]
like like like it a lot!

Al Meyer(Posted 2008) [#45]
Amazing. Uncle, what FONT do you use on it?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#46]
I couldn't seem to get past the first stage even on easy mode, the enemies are shooting a lot in my exact direction and while the instructions say you can move the mouse around to shoot at them there is no manouevering to get out of the way of their fire. How are you supposed to shoot them without them hitting you a million times?

Uncle(Posted 2008) [#47]
Hello ImaginaryHuman,

The idea is to shoot the enemy fire as well as the craft, otherwise they will kill you for sure. If you do that Im sure you will progress onto the next level :)

Al, I will check on my PC when I get home and let you know. I use about 3 fonts so which one are you interested in?

Cheers,

Unc

taumel(Posted 2008) [#48]
This looks quite nice!

Al Meyer(Posted 2008) [#49]
Uncle, thanks for the reply. All the fonts are very nice. Remember my Amiga days. :) The fonts on credits are the best. Cheers

MCP(Posted 2008) [#50]
Well done Uncle you've done a smashing job on this. Thanks.

Gillissie(Posted 2008) [#51]
Uncle, did you develop your own 3D text library? I was looking at your credits sort of hoping I'd see that you used mine. :)

Uncle(Posted 2008) [#52]
Hi,

I used a slightly modified version Spritecandy for the text routines :) Gillissie Which text lib did you develop as Im always interested in alternatives?

@ Al Meyer,

I just checked the fonts for the credits were SFGrandezza Light and Heavy. I don't seem to have them on this machine anymore, but Im sure they are available on the net somewhere.

Cheers,

Unc

Taron(Posted 2008) [#53]
That's very pretty, Uncle! Great execution, really! Congratulations!

TomToad(Posted 2008) [#54]
Told my roommate about this and he thinks it's great. But he is having one problem with it. The voice is too low on his system, the one that says "Shields Low", but he has no way of increasing the volume without increasing the volume of all the sound effects.
Possible to put the voice on a separate control for those with less than optimal speaker systems?