TriviaNet Challenge Released

Community Forums/Showcase/TriviaNet Challenge Released

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#1]
TriviaNet Challenge has now been released. It features over 6,000 questions, themeable graphics and a bunch of bug-fixes and additions since the beta.

Click the images below for full size screenshots.

Candy Stripe Theme

Shiny Silver Theme

The free, fully playable demo version can be downloaded now from

Get the fully playable demo version ( 5.3MB )

BlitzBasic visitors can take advantage of a 25% off discount on any purchase of TriviaNet challenge before 30th August, 2005. Just use the code TNAG-TE8X when you purchase to get your discount.

I'm expecting a lot of attention on this one, so I've setup two download links which are automatically managed by the server to spread bandwidth equally. Please let me know if you experience any difficulty downloading.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#2]
Good luck with this one.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#3]
As a matter of interest where did you get all the questions from. Did you buy them in?

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks Tim. You know how it is. I can finally get some sleep now, lol.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#5]
Lol, with all that marketing stuff and press releases and counting the $$ you won't get any sleep for about another month....

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#6]
Nooooo, Tim, that starts tomorrow. I can sleep tonight ;)

Grey Alien: No, I wrote them myself. There are agencies selling questions, but the price is in the region of 50 cents a question, and since I intend to get up to around 8,000 questions before I'm done, I didn't really want to spend $4,000 of the profits before I get them. Heck at those prices, maybe I should be in their business.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#7]
Good Job!

You must have a lot of free time doing all these games... :)

Murilo(Posted 2005) [#8]
I'm a fan of pub quiz machines and I really like it! I'd protect your question data file though if I were you...

Where did you get the background music?

I also took a quick look at your "Kick Shot Pool" demo too. I was *really* impressed. It really smooth and the graphics (especially the balls themselves) are superb.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#9]
I love Pub Quiz Machines as well - I remember how we used most of our lunch breaks at college on the one installed there.

I'll probably get this - especially with the 25% discount.

The animated music notes are distracting and a little annoying though - I didn't see an option to turn it off.

And there seem to be a lot of soap questions on the TV category - there's more to TV than soaps. Maybe a few more goes and this will even out (I hate soaps).

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#10]
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

The data file is very large and is written to in-game. Encrypting it made loading and saving them take 10x as long, and I don't really mind people using the questions for personal use anyway.

The background music was licensed. I've hired musicians in the past, but now I tend to review huge quantities of buyout music to find the tunes I want.

IIRC, the music notes are an indicator of whether or not the music is playing. If you click on the speaker, it should ( if memory serves ) turn off both the notes and the music. There's no way to turn it off and keep the music on though.

I don't *think* I was too biased towards soaps, but if you do find the questions are biased in one direction or another, let me know because I can balance it out with any additional questions I write. I'd like to get another one to two thousand eventually, but I haven't started any of them yet.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#11]
The 25% discount proved popular, so I've decided to extend it for one more week. After that, I'll be splashing out on a focussed advertising campaign, so it will have to go back to full price then.