Popper - Prototype

Community Forums/Showcase/Popper - Prototype

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've had this knocking around for quite a while. I'm not sure if its worth developing further so I thought I'd see what people thought of it.

It's by no means finished but there's enough there to get the idea.

The game is a sort of combination of asteroids,puzzle bobble and a reverse bridge-builder. You have to dismantle structures rather than build them by removing the bolts.

http://www.zee-3.com/downloads/popperdemo.zip

Basic asteroids type controls (cursors to rotate & thrust - Space to fire).

Comments welcome. Obviously the graphics\sound etc are crap - I'm interested in what people think of the game concept.

EDIT: Make sure you copy all the files to a new folder - it won't run from the zip

Binary_Moon(Posted 2005) [#2]
Erm... I'm getting a mav on startup :(

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#3]
Strange. I downloaded it myself and checked. I'll have a look.

Are you trying to run it from the zip file? - You'll need to copy the contents to a new folder.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2005) [#4]
I've extracted everything fine. There doesn't appear to be a folder structure inside the zip file?

Maybe it's a userlib you've forgotten about?

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#5]
Odd. Other people gave got it working. No userlibs involved.

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#6]
Ok. I've recompiled it (that exe was made with quite an old version of B3D).

Try downloading again.

Yan(Posted 2005) [#7]
It works fine here.

Wow...That's a pretty freaky game you've got there...I like it! :o)

I particularly like the little 'Stretch Armstrong' blokeys. |oD

It does need something more though as there's no sense of urgency or even purpose to it at the moment. It kinda feels more like a toy than a game at this stage.

It has bags of potential IMHO.

LineOf7s(Posted 2005) [#8]
I don't know if it's because I just finished watching 'Constantine' or whatever, but that was disturbing, what with those poor stretched-out people...

As you say, it's early, but it certainly has promise. EVen at this early stage it had me playing for a goodly more time than many (most?) other lil shareware/freeware thingies I download.

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#9]
Yes the idea was that someone was constructing space stations out of people!

Murilo(Posted 2005) [#10]
Oddly addictive - It definitely has potential, and it's worth persuing imho.

Did you intend to provide the source code for this? There are 2 .bak files in the distribution!

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#11]
Doh! Not intentional. Please delete.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2005) [#12]
It works now. Apart from being incredibly difficult it's a pretty cool idea. Will be interesting to see where you take it :)

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#13]
I like it. It's not entirely clear how you achieve game over, ie. how many bumps into stuff it takes, if you need to pop everything, etc...

I like the levels where the bloke is attached to the structure, good stuff!

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#14]
Hi john,

nice ideas, poor execution. It's a chore to play in it's current state. Perhaps make it more casual and less hardcore, an innovative mouse control waits to be added.

It seemed like the game would be a chore, not something that would grab me. Without binning this project I would think up a stunning way to play with just the mouse, see where that line of experimentation takes you.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#15]
Heh, I've still got the old 'Worms in Space' version of this, dated 18 July 2001. I thought it was well worth pursuing then, and I still think so now.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#16]
LOL! Excelent :D

Ice9(Posted 2005) [#17]
very nice game

Andres(Posted 2005) [#18]
A new classic :)

What does the blinking asteroid on the ship mean? That I can destroy any kinda asteroids? If so I think i've found a bug. It destroys only one of asteroids with the same color attached to each other.

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#19]
That's right - you get the flashing one if the chosen colour no longer exists on the board.

As James pointed out - it's four years since I worked on this. If I decide to move on with it I'll probably start over in BMAX. So bugs are moot really - I was just wondering if people like the basic concept.

Geehawk(Posted 2005) [#20]
The stuff of nightmares, yet strangely fun.....

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#21]
Utterly surreal and strangely addictive.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2005) [#22]
Hmm top game that.