Playable CTCC Demo Available :)

Community Forums/Showcase/Playable CTCC Demo Available :)

Imphenzia(Posted 2005) [#1]
Finally I have released a playable version of my coming game CTCC (Computer Touring Car Championship).

It's a 2D racing game and the demo comes with 6 circuits and 12 cars. All options are enabled apart from LAN/Internet multiplayer mode which is still under reconstruction.

You can play against up to 7 computer controlled cars and split screen mode is available for 2 players on the same computer.

There may be a fair number of bugs in the demo as well and I'm hoping that it will help me locate them and get them sorted.

Find out more about CTCC and download the demo here:
http://www.imphenzia.com/games/ctcc_home.asp

Hope you like it!
Stefan

DH(Posted 2005) [#2]
Blitzplus or Blitzmax?

Imphenzia(Posted 2005) [#3]
BlitzPlus - BlitzMax wasn't out when I started this project... not sure how long it would take to convert either because there is one feature in BMax I really really wish I had in BlitzPlus... the ability to lock the refresh rate of a video mode, awh.

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#4]
It looks nice and I'd really like to try the gameplay out but I refuse to install bit torrent on my PC, or indeed any bandwidth hijacking, spamware, malware, and virus infesting tool that's only useful to those who indulge in piracy.

I guess i'll have to keep trying and try to download it whilst your home PC is online, I hope your not one for reboots...

DH(Posted 2005) [#5]
indeed any bandwidth hijacking, spamware, malware, and virus infesting tool that's only useful to those who indulge in piracy

Sorry Becky, but your using the internet, which is used by millions of pirates daily....

I use bit torrent, and I dont indulge in piracy.... Please don't stereotype.

Bit torrent is a great tool, I used to use it to download halflife and battlefield updates/patches because all the ftp servers were always jagged up when a new patch was released..

And most bit torrent clients dont contain malware, spyware, etc...

Imphenzia(Posted 2005) [#6]
Hi Becky,

BitTorrent is not necessarily about piracy as Dark Half says, it is a great tool for distributing large files (legal ones) to internet users instead of having to pay a lot for expensive bandwidth. You'll find a lot of game publishing companies are and will continue to use this as an alternative.

Please don't turn this thread into a pircy discussion because it simply isn't the case. For those of you who do not wish to install a BitTorrent client, use the alternative download link.

Thanks,
Stefan

Yan(Posted 2005) [#7]
Woohoo...I thought this had died...Downloading immediately!

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#8]
Nice list of cars you've got shown in the screenshots - are you planning to sell this game - if so what about licensing issues?

Looks very nice - downloading now to try it out.

Andres(Posted 2005) [#9]
Very cool game. A challenge for Death Rally :).

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#10]
Well done! Plays nice.

One really bad thing is the use of the numpad in the selection menus, I was pretty sure the game had crashed, as there was no mouse and the arrow keys didn't do anything. Please add Arrow keys + Space controls to that part.

There was some funky stuff with the timer at the end of a race going up and down all the time. Why is that?

The acceleration of the cars seem a little to slow, but I guess that's intentional...

Anyway, I was pretty sure this game would never see the light of day (because it's taken so long), but it did :D Congrats!

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#11]
Highly enjoyable. The graphics are top notch, and it was fun to play. The slow acceleration was a little frustrating as it took so long to recover after making a mistake. Whilst going under bridges and into tunnels is a nice touch I did find myself driving blind more often than I'd have liked. It was especially troublesome before a corner as it was near impossible to position yourself on the racing line. Looking forward to seeing a lot more of this in the future.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#12]
pretty cool game - nice to play, just annoying collisions - you mostly seem to come out worst from an impact.

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#13]
Nice gfx. Bad gameplay.

The collisions suck and the steering and acceleration is too slow. And download of 30 megs for a simple game as this is way too much.

Just my 2 cents.

*(Posted 2005) [#14]
add guns and missiles and it could be supercars :D

nawi(Posted 2005) [#15]
Acceleration is too slow even all upgrades bought with 500hp car. And you can make the turns quicker without really braking much? And it lags badly with smoke.

Other than that it kicks ass.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#16]
The game was enjoyable but doesn't have that special feel that brings it beyond what it is now.

The controls are bad. I don't think many people use numeric keypads. And laptops don't even have numeric keypads.

Imphenzia(Posted 2005) [#17]
Glad to hear some of you like the game :) I'll try to provide some answers to questions here:

Licensing of cars will be impossible as I tried to contact manufacturers , they simply aren't interested. Therefore I will be forced to use dummy names in the proper release.

The timer is reset to 60 seconds every time a car finishes the race. I will change this so that the round ends when laped racers cross the finish line instead.

About acceleration.In proportion to real cars they accelerate at the same speed in real life. if you were to film a car from above, it will look slow as well... but i wanred to keep acceleration and top speeds authentic, although I had to keep away from real physics as it really doesn't work well in that scale.

Collisions: These were sooo difficult to sort out and to prevent cars from getting stuck and overlapped etc, i had to solve it this way. it is especially difficult in the LAN feature being developed.

Keys: You can change player keys in options menu. The reason arrows don't work in car maintenance menus is because there can be two players active at the same time, one of them may have arrows assigned. But to laptop users, simpply remap the keys in options.

Game play: I am aware and expected that a fair amount of players would be unhappy about the driving experience, but i developed to what i believe is a compromise between simulated acceleration and speed in relation to real cars and making them drivable on arcady 2D maps that look nothing like true tracks with their 90 degree turns etc :)

Driving blind: You can enable transparent bridges and tunnels in options menu to make it easier to see where you are going :)

I appreciate the feedback, so please let me know - thanks for comments so far.

oh, and full release will be over 100 mb - but high res circuits and music comes at a size cost, but it will also be available on cd... and i could release an ugly 1 circuit demo with no music for those suffering from low bandwidth.

Regards,
Stefan

GA(Posted 2005) [#18]
Glad to see that your still working on this :)

A very cool game, great graphics, takes me back to the old micromachines games. A couple of things, however.

1) There seems to be a bug in one of the tracks, the one with the train in the top left corner. On 3 occasions now, cars have go stuck sideways on to the road, this often results in a pileup which it is imposible to get through, forcing me to quit the race.

2) Collisions are very very hard to recover from. Indeed, if you get rammed from behind, you slow down, get rammed, slowdown etc. until the AI overtakes you. Its livable with, but annoying.

3) Music. Yes, I know you're into your club/trance, but not all of us are. Could it be posible to implement a simple mp3 player/importer to keep the rock and roll croud happy ;)

Other than that, you seem to have the makings of an A+ game.

Imphenzia(Posted 2005) [#19]
Thanx GA,

Good points. Will widen the train crossing a bit on that track.

I will also try to alter the collision routine a bit since many are experiencing troubles with it. But i cant promise miracles on it due to difficulties with frozen/hung car problems.

Finally, very fair point about the music :) I will make it so that the game plays random tracks from the music folder. ogg and mp3.

Stefan

gosse(Posted 2005) [#20]
In the options menu, the tool tip at the bottom doesn't always show up.
If you select 10K$ as starting cash, you can't buy a car, and when you try to race without a car, all hell breaks loose.
You've got a really nice game going on there :) The graphics are awesome

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#21]
I managed to download it finaly :). Well it's a stunning game, graphically gorgeous and well presented. Very smoothly done.

I think I spotted a bug, with 8 seconds to go I pitted and this appeared to reset the count down timer.

Also for some reason the cars turn better the faster they are going, this means it's impossible to do a tight turn (like joining the railway line on the dirt level) unless you're absolutely hammering it... Surely this is the wrong way round?

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#22]
I liked this a lot - had me hooked I had to play all there was!

I found a couple of parts of the tracks which annoyed me intensely as they seemed to hold me back and stop my car, as well as being in just the right place to stop me (grrr. lol!).

I loved the train idea, first time three of us smashed into it! Ha ha ha!

Didn't like the strange use of the keypad, this will be difficult for laptop users, who have no keypad.

Other than that - highly recommended as a try-out. Strangely reminissent of Skid Marks Amiga style (without the caravans).

IPete2.