Caboodle - Beta

Community Forums/Showcase/Caboodle - Beta

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#1]
Demo version limited to 60 mins play time.

**Cartoon Skin** Others to follow.

Features 3 different modes of play.

- Classic - Constant Block dropping action, score well to progress and unlock new scenes.
- Casual - Match the blocks and capture the Gems to progress to the next level. (My Fav)
- Puzzle - (Only 7 Puzzles in Demo) - Remove the puzzle blocks from the game grid.

This is our first product using BlitzMax so there may be a few issues. Most likely there will be issues with sound. Please report any issues, or general feedback here.

The highscores are handled by the new IndieNet dll, if you experience any issues with the highscore uploads or download please report here.

Extreme Criticism Required!

SoggyP(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hello.

Extreme Critisism Required!

Ok, you can't spell criticism and you've got stupid hair.

Goodbye.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#3]
The backgrounds are entirely too bright, they totally overwhelm the play area.

Yan(Posted 2005) [#4]
I get a tiny 'loading' window pop-up momentarily and that's it. :o/

It seems I'm doomed not to play this. ;o)

SoggyP(Posted 2005) [#5]
Hello.

Really, really enjoyable. Eye-Candy to rot the eyes, music that loops in your mind and gameplay that's fun.

Good Job.

I still mean it about the hair though :0)

Goodbye.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#6]
Anyone else having issues launching the game?

Yan(Posted 2005) [#7]
Incidentally, I was also unable to play the release demo of Geom after the beta demo had timed out.

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#8]
Another first class puzzle game, nice job Tim.

No problems here except a minor graphic glitch when changing the render mode. The bottom right section of the title screen looked corrupt after it switched (about 40 pixels high and half the width of the game window). It only occurred once though, despite trying several times to reproduce the glitch. No sound problems to report at all.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#9]
@TwoEyedPete, I'll sort that for you. At least we know the security works.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#10]
The third pic looks best

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#11]
Okay, I've rebuilt the libs for the dll and I've changed the licence so everyone who wants to re-download will get a full 60 mins trial.

Fingers crossed that this works for you.

Tim.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#12]
The bottom right section of the title screen looked corrupt after it switched

Especially (but not necessarily) if you changed the screen res, it could be just a previously unused section of vmem being displayed before it was blanked out. Happens all the time. Unless you're saying that glitch was permanent?

Yan(Posted 2005) [#13]
Nice one Tim, it works now. :o)

I'm still getting the joy pad drifting to the bottom left and I had to unplug it to be able to play the game. If it helps any, the joy pad example from the BMax docs works fine with both axes being shown as centred.

I didn't notice any sound or graphical glitches (using DX or GL).

A couple of small things I did notice were:

*The hi score name input was always filled z and x characters immediately.

*The mouse time-out needs to take mouse clicks into account. When I was adjusting the volume the mouse pointer kept disappearing and mouse clicks were ignored. I had to wiggle the mouse to get the pointer back and the clicks to register.

Overall a nice, well executed game. :o)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#14]
@TwoEyedPete, Umm My joypad code is based on that example. I even went and purchased a couple of different gamepads to test with- and they all work. Did you try and configure the pad?

The Z and X are probably left over from the Keyboard buffer, you use them to rotate the blocks I guess (I prefer cursor up), I'll change that.

Yan(Posted 2005) [#15]
I couldn't reconfigure/remap the pad because of the drifting.

I just tried my daughter's pad (a Saitek PS2 clone) and that works fine once configured.

My SideWinder is analogue but has only X and Y axes. Could that be the problem?

Are you using JoyAxisCaps()?

What value are you using for your 'centre zone'?

Yan(Posted 2005) [#16]
Okay...I just had a quick play and it seems that my pad reports the X and Y axes as -0.0000156 and +0.0000156 when centred.

I'm guessing that you're using either a very small 'dead zone' (epsilon value if you must) or you're not using one at all (in which case, go to bed without any supper).

For a game with controls that are essentially digital such as yours, you can use a relatively large value like 0.5.

In fact, I'd probably mimic BB's JoyXDir() type commands...

You could, of course, have a seperate dead zone for each axis.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#17]
Hmmn,

I'm using the JoyDown and JoyHat commands in BMAX, maybe these don't work with analogue.

Yan(Posted 2005) [#18]
Ahh...In that case case, it's simply because I don't have a joy hat and that axis is reporting 0, which is UP I believe (although that doesn't explain why the controls were floating down/left?).

It's probably best to default to X and Y axes and use JoyAxisCaps() to determine which of the other axes to scan. If you're not already doing that, of course!

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#19]
JoyAxisCaps() - Yeah good shout thanks.

daaan(Posted 2005) [#20]
Has anyone else played LUMINES for the Sony PSP? this is a complete rip off clone. But I like it! :)

boomboommax(Posted 2005) [#21]
hey your correct :O lol

so much for originality

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#22]
Who said it was original? And yes it is a clone and in true clone fashion it has more and better features than the original.

Quite frankly I am suprised that nobody noticed this sooner.

And I must add that Lumines is not due for release in Europe until september 1, we release in 2 weeks.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#23]
I can't get it to run on a Windows98 machine, your installer said it required a restart and then it fails after the first OK with 3 memory exceptions and then a failed to import DLL message (indienetv2.dll).

I do have some DX not found fixes required for apps to run on this machine if you aren't defaulting to GL but it doesn't look like caboodle is getting that far.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#24]
@Skid, there is no installer... It's just an archive file.. at what point did it request a reboot.

Do you have any other issues with Blitz products and 3rd party dll's with win98.

Could you try copying the indienetv2.dll to the windows/system directory and see if that helps.

Thanks
Tim,

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#25]
I just had an email from the people who make the protection software, there is a bug in when working with 98 and 95!

* Fixed a bug when using compressed resources and running in a Win/9X environment. A second run in that situation resulted in a CRC error

I suspect this was our problem if not the dll.

Jimbob(Posted 2005) [#26]
Quite a funky game. The game seems to recognise my pad (A Saitek P2500) when I go to the configuring page, then just completely ignores my settings when I go to the main game. It also crashed on one occasion when starting a new game (after adding another gamepad config, the 3rd one that run of the program) other than that...it's been fine.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#27]
Hi Jimbob, sorry I took the controller out of the loop until I fix the code. There is also an issue with a memory leak which has been fixed and will be in the next issue - that was causing the crash.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#28]
Please make resolutions 1280+ possible.

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#29]
Wow tim, this is some awsome work here, I really like this game, well done !