Blitz3D->Webgame test

Community Forums/Showcase/Blitz3D->Webgame test

swerdnik(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi All:

I have created an activex control to run one of our Blitz games, "Best Friends" embedded a web browser. My previous solution popped the game up, but this one actually runs within the web browser, making it superior. I would love to hear if anyone has problems using it. IE only of course :(
http://www.retro64.com/bf_web.asp

Thanks!
Mike

Binary_Moon(Posted 2005) [#2]
Looking good I played about half a dozen levels before it crashed... I got a 'send microsoft an error report' (so they can ignore it) box. I'd post it here but it won't let me copy the text and there's rather a lot to type out. The error was with bf_web.exe though, nothing about the activex control.

swerdnik(Posted 2005) [#3]
Cool... Yes, the game itself could use some work... but the control was the main thing...

@Ben: Rob will be happy :)

Binary_Moon(Posted 2005) [#4]
Yep - I think he will :)

I'll show him when I get in tomorrow.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#5]
sphinx did something exactly(?) the same as this a while back. Might be worth talking to him about pitfalls etc.

Works real good here. Like the mouse control (is that new?).

swerdnik(Posted 2005) [#6]
I would have used Maher's control, but it required VB runtimes, which is why I had to make this one in C... So the pitfalls will be two different things unfortunately :(

starfox(Posted 2005) [#7]
You used ActiveX?

How does that work exactly?

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#8]
Any plans to release/sell the control?

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#9]
Great! It works better than Sphinx's, whose was great too!
Ditto of above, only without 'sell' ;P

TheMan(Posted 2005) [#10]
welldone, it worked fine. I really enjoyed playing your game.
Could you please give us any hint or guidelines on how you did that ActiveX control

Thanks

Yan(Posted 2005) [#11]
It doesn't work here. I get a progress bar frame and that's it, it just sits there doing nowt. :o/

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#12]
Hey thanks cool as hell! I was expecting it to run slower on my machine at work (800mhz) but it actually ran fine. The music seems different though....
Will you be releasing a control or license later on for this?

swerdnik(Posted 2005) [#13]
I have no plans to sell or license itit or anything. I would release the code, but it isn't a turnkey thing right now- game code has to be modified to make it work too. Also, I don't want to move in on Maher's business niche.

Basically, it's an ATL activex control that makes the b3d app a child window...

@TwoEyedPete: You're using IE with default security settings? Did it prompt you to install the activex, then show you the certificate?

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#14]
Works well! It's not nice it steals the mouse though!

Yan(Posted 2005) [#15]
You're using IE with default security settings?

I used IE6 with all the latest SPs and patches with default security settings.

Did it prompt you to install the activex, then show you the certificate?

Yup! The ActiveX warning bar popped up (or should that be down?) too and I allowed it.
The r64loader.dll (CR64Loader Object) with Retro64 Inc as the publisher appears in the addon manager and is enabled.
Your previous control worked okay and I definitely haven't fiddled with any of IE's settings since (it's not my default browser).

swerdnik(Posted 2005) [#16]
Did the progress bar ever show it was loading? Also, can you try clearing your browser cache and running it again? I am worried that if a cache is full, it won't work properly...

Yan(Posted 2005) [#17]
I tried clearing the catch and it made no difference I'm afraid.

This is all I've ever seen...

[edit]Hang on...I'll try clearing the catch again and rebooting...[/edit]

[edit]Made no difference :o/[/edit]

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#18]
Hasn't this already been done?
I forget what it's called, but it's in the toolkit.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2005) [#19]
Works like a charm here.

IE 6.02
Win XP Pro sp2
Athlon64 3000+