Roidz Beta open

Community Forums/Showcase/Roidz Beta open

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#1]
Screen Shots

those are a bit old now. Some of you have played this already, but TBH I havent had the time for a while to work on it because of Uni work.

I now have a bit more spare time and am able to get to working on the art,gfx,code and sound .

So was wondering if any of you could have a bash and let me know.

I have still to add some stuff but it should be at least a little fun :)

Download ::

http://www.teamrebellion.co.uk/Development/games/roidz/Roidz Beta.exe
http://www.teamrebellion.co.uk/Development/games/roidz/Roidz%20Beta.exe

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#2]
haemorhoids destruction simulator?

Ill download it and take a look

EDIT-17MB?? are the textures in png or jpg?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#3]
textures are a mix atm. and why the heck does everyone say hemroids , roids is also short for asteroids TBH when I was thinking of the name it just seemed clear to me.

And no one from my neck of the woods calls hemroids roids. they call em piles or hemroids. so it might be a regional thing..

Anyway yeah id love to know whatg you think of the game.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#4]
Its OK,
even the first asteroids game had alien spaceships though -
The control scheme wasnt to my liking, if I wanted to apply thrust in the same direction I had to move the mouse,to different places
The biggest problem is that the thrust is too powerful.

The upgrade system is a good idea,how about missiles,landmines etc. to mix up the action a bit

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#5]

even the first asteroids game had alien spaceships though -
The control scheme wasnt to my liking

The Alien's are coming ;), In fact the models and skins for them are already sitting in the models folder, I just need to implement them, Im working out what the best (not smartest) AI would be that gives good fun gameplay at the same time as providing a challenege to the player.

if I wanted to apply thrust in the same direction I had to move the mouse,to different places
The biggest problem is that the thrust is too powerful.

This is actually a design feature, in early tests I found that running the game at the pase I wanted for the later level's I needed a control system that could react as fast as the asteroids that were coming at you, this was the system I settled on, its a but weired to get used to but once you put some time on it you will find that it gives you the fastest way to respond to collision threats, and there will be a lot of those in game.

The mover's , or White Ice commets are in the game to prevent you from just sitting in one spot and blasting crap out of everything, these are quick as hell and only give you about 1 second to react to them if your not already moving, a slower ship or thrust system would lose the heartjumping feeling you get from a good score and a near miss from one of these when your shield is gone.

The upgrade system is a good idea,how about missiles,landmines etc. to mix up the action a bit

I am planning to add possibly 1 or 2 more main fire shot types, I am thinking about being able to fire a powerfull but slow shot out the back of the ship to kill any fast moving incoming roids at your back, this would be a one shot one deal sorta thing and would pack a big bang to take out any roid it hits. could be a powerup or one a long cooldown timer.

Missiles, I have the models done again, but with these I was unsure of the best way to implement them. My main idea is that there are two types of missile. one that shoots in your face direction , and another that locks onto any roid that close and home's into it.

I havent put them in because I wasnt sure if they should be a suppliment to your main guns, and just have a missile fire off for every 3 bullet shots, or have them as a main wep and you have them till you pick something else up, or have them on a limited supply so if you pick up missiles you only have like 10 and then revert back to your main gun...

More ideas feed back on these missile plans would be good cos at this stage id really prefer to know exactly what im going to do with them before i code anything.

Your mines tho, How exactly do you feel they would work ? I imagine that you drop a mine, and if a roid hits it then the roid and mine blow ? is the mine safe to the player or deadly to both.. more info on what you were thinking about here pls.

Either way thanks for the feedback..
More pls :)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#6]
bumpy..

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#7]
very nice game but I somehow miss a break as doing this with the mouse is a little stressy especially if I'm "kicked" by an astroid.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#8]
I just face the other way and slam thrust on.. but yeah thats something I could look at, possibly making it overheat your guns in the process.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#9]
I know that thrust in the counter direction is a kind of break . The mouse is too "overprecise" compared to a keyboard, so I thought some kind of "shock break" would be an interesting thing.

overheat sounds good :-)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#10]
Already begun to code it m8, turning out to be a nice idea.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#11]
Id say a limited supply of missiles sounds good,they all home in on something (rock or enemy)

The mines blow up when hit by a rock or enemy and the explosion is deadly to anyone,

Please explain the white comets in the instructions or intro screen - not knowing about them isnt fun, you just end up confused

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#12]

Please explain the white comets in the instructions or intro screen - not knowing about them isnt fun, you just end up confused

lol - I thot that after the first time you get smashed with oneit would sink in that they are to be avoided. IE keep moving to dodge em.

I do actually have an alert, you get an audible and on screen flash when a commet is 1 second away giving you just enough time to react if your sitting still.

the point of them is simply to prevent players finding that sweet spot, where they can sit safe and blast with no risk of collision. these commets prevent that forcing the player to move.

Thanks for everyone's comments. the game should be a lot better now as a result of them. keep em coming.

degac(Posted 2005) [#13]
well...I got a MAV on both my computer (AthlonXP1600+Geforceti4400 and Athlon64 3500 + Geforce6600GT)..

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#14]
@ Degac, havent got a cue why you would , when others are running it fine, MAV's temp to occur when game media is missing and its all there. Could be that your download was corrupted you could try downloading a fresh installer.