ball bearing demo test

Community Forums/Showcase/ball bearing demo test

Rob Buckley(Posted 2005) [#1]
(Have upgraded camera system re suggestions on non-vomit inducement reduction)

Hi all, Just wondering if ppl could have a quick look and tell me if they think the feel and speed of my game are okay. It's meant to feel slightly manic, but constantly playing it so much means I keep on wanting to notch the speed up and up :)

Any comments appreciated, but it is only a 1/2 designed level, with no puzzle elements in as yet, just the basic game/time framework

"http://trebmint.tripod.com/game/ballbearing.zip"

Please right click and save target as - poncy free web hosting :(

Oh I've added keys [ and ] to change the speed of the ball. Tell me the best reading :) Ta

Oh it goes straight into the game, but Pressing f1 goes into the editor, and f2 restarts the game

Regards Rob B

Mark Judd(Posted 2005) [#2]
Rob,

I found the left/right movement a little too fast - it made it hard to see details of what tiles you were moving over (power-ups, etc). I found myself trying to counteract the movement by pressing the non-functioning left / right arrows as well as the up / down.

After abut 2 minutes of the repetitive sideways motion i felt like throwing up or keeling off my office chair onto the floor.

Should qualify this comment by saying its not normally the sort of game i'd go for - so its probably just that my coordination is stuffed by advancing years ......

Spec if you're interested :-

1.4 processor with 512Mb ram
Geforce 4
Win 2k

cheers

Funky Frank

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#3]
I get:
This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos®Network Site, and is not available for download. Please check out Tripod's Help system for more information about Remote Loading and our Remote Loading policy.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#4]
Right-click and 'save target as' should do it.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#5]
Nope, i tried saving target ass but that didn't work either.

Rob Buckley(Posted 2005) [#6]
Just copy and paste this. No idea why the original doesn't work
"http://trebmint.tripod.com/game/ballbearing.zip"

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#7]
Copy-pasting the link into a fresh window seems to work.

The game is way too speedy, the ball bounces like mad in the beginning and you get dizzy in a few seconds. If you can suppress this it seems to slow down (intentionally I guess), until it's almost at a complete stand-still.

I collected all the hoops, and was supposed to find a portal or something, but it didn't seem to be anywhere?

I think that if the starting speed was reasonable it might work, but right now it's much too fast.

Rob Buckley(Posted 2005) [#8]
If you use [ and ] keys to speed up and slow down you can read the ball speed at the base of the screen and tell me what speed is good :)

Yes there is no portal yet. Its is very unfinished :)

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#9]
Ah, 1.5 seems reasonable... If the camera motion is tuned a bit! The biggest problem is the jerk it makes when the ball switches direction, fix that and it can probably go faster.

Rob Buckley(Posted 2005) [#10]
Yeah ta for that. I have played around with the camera somewhat and got a nice balance I think - and reuploaded. No more vomiting I hope. I think a speed of 3.5 - 4 is about right?