nano 03 alpha test

Community Forums/Showcase/nano 03 alpha test

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#1]
It's been a long pause in development of nano... it's now resuming after several months, so I felt I want to release something.

the game is still VERY unfinished and so is the menu and so are the game modes, sounds etc. but you can drive around. :)

Human player controls
p1 - arrows + control
p2 - mouse

Weapons are randomly selected when starting a game. Currently there is homing missiles, homing cannon and double cannon.

press down / middle-mouse to grab stuff with your tail when the tail is touching the object.

Also press 1 in the game to see some statistics (fps etc...)

download at http://www.rippedsoftware.com/nano_03_alpha.zip

I would like to know if it works for everybody.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#2]
Yay! First post :)
Hurry up!!

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#3]
This game looks awesome. Really looking farword to it. I have a few suggestions though. There should be a limit to how close the camera zooms in. When there only two ships(subs?) left the view becomes very cramped. Also the AI didn't seem to clever. I was able to trap an enemy behind a fallen erm... thing when they could have just gone the long way round to get to me. Other than these minor things though it's an awesome game and very well presented. Now hurry up and finish it!

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#4]
This game is simply the best looking Blitz game I've seen. Point.

Great physics also, is this your own "engine"?

I am also curious how you did the AI. I still have to learn a lot on AI.

nawi(Posted 2005) [#5]
Superb looking so far

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#6]
Simply Fantastic!

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#7]
downloaded ... will test :)

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#8]
Great demo!

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#9]
Menus do need work though.
Please make them nice. :)

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#10]
Thanks for the responses. It's nice to see that nobody got MAV or anything :)

Oddball: I'll restrict the cam zoom a bit. Or make it an option.

Jeroen: It's my own "engine". About the pathfinding check this thread.. http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=41827

Mr. Pickelsworth: I'll try to make a nice menu :)

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#11]
wow, nice demo Bouncer, amazing stuff !

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#12]
Very nice ... agree with Oddball though on the camera zoom.

Also, any chance of including an alternative to the middle mouse button .. I don't have one :(

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#13]
I know it isn't nowhere near finished, but i'd still like to point out that it was using 420MB RAM on my computer which has a total of 1024. I don't even see how you could load up so much stuff to fill it up to 420, so i'm sure you can optimise that by quite a lot.

Correction: After looking at my Task Manager it was only 34MB. I'm not sure how it gets the 41% memory used ingame? The total of everything running on my PC is about 150MB usage right now.

Otherwise, works great. Again, nice physics and everything!

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#14]
Awesome. Great physics application.

Anyway, yeah, the cam zoom needs to be restricted more, and also in the game mode where you go after those bright things and try to get to them before the others, the targets should be incorporated in the camzoom so that you can always see them.

meemoe_uk(Posted 2005) [#15]
graphics, physics fine. Work on gameplay.

This isn't a particularly good version of gravity force, but you can use it as rough bench mark and as to how much fun nano should at least be.

http://www.gravity-force.de/

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#16]
Gravity Force was originally an Amiga multiplayer game, and a good one at that :-)

I think there is something of a trap in todays modern games that you can get so involved in making things look good and interact well, but turning that into gameplay isn't so easy. Gameplay is a much subtler finer thread of activity, somewhat invisible and hard to orchestrate.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#17]
I have serious sleep issues. Where does it actually install to?

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#18]
I couldnt get it to fire until I realised you meant the right ctrl key not the left.
It seems decent enough but cant actually judge it til the AI gets better so its a challenge, or the single player version comes out.

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#19]
i like the green jelly guys!

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#20]
is a max or b3d game?

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#21]
b3d

boomboommax(Posted 2005) [#22]
cool physics but you need to work on the fun factor, its not very fun past the physics.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#23]
Yes - not that fun. Hard to understand to. I don't get it.

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#24]
No Enemies thats cuz it has no point yet..

no enemies/cy I think you should wait till bouncer adds objectives, bigger maps, etc

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#25]
Yeah I know it's not that fun yet, because there's nothing to do really :) This is really still just an engine without a game...

Wait till I add the gameplay parts meaning the game modes, power-ups, weapons, single player minigames etc... I'm pretty confident that it will be fun... maybe :)

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#26]
Just keep us informed of progress... :)

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#27]
The engine seems OK.

I have a suggestion, make the players flash (entitycolor) when they are hit.
Also make sure the one that you control is a different color to the others.