BlitzMax Tempest - Completed

Community Forums/Showcase/BlitzMax Tempest - Completed

Mark1nc(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've completed the Tempest game that was started by David Bird in the BlitMax samples.

Get it here:

http://www.incitti.com/Blitz

BlitzMax source & windows exe included.

Let me know what you all think...

big10p(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hey, very good. Still bloody hard, mind. :)

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#3]
Excellent work. Although I never really understood the appeal of Tempest.

Now you can get back to Marble Insanity.

DH(Posted 2005) [#4]
Dammit, finishing marble insanity. I loved that game for the amiga!

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#5]
Or port MI to BM as opensource tutorial project ;)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#6]
yeah this is nice.

JAW(Posted 2005) [#7]
So whats up with M.I.? I was looking foward to playing that game, finish it!

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#8]
Hey, JAW! You exist! Have you got an msn messenger account or something?

..Oh, and cool tempest clone, mark :)

meemoe_uk(Posted 2005) [#9]
yeah, but isn't it a bit obselete now we've got JNR?

Mark1nc(Posted 2005) [#10]
What's JNR?

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#11]
What's JNR?
I think he's referring to Juno Nemesis:Remix by Michael Reitzenstein.

(Click to enlarge)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#12]
Wasn't there an Atari Jaguar version of this a while back which people were raving about at the time?

Vertex(Posted 2005) [#13]
Thats a very cool game idea! It makes addicted!

nice

cu olli

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#14]
Congratulations on finished project..

(although its much too hard for me ^^)

Mark1nc(Posted 2005) [#15]
Thanks.

Try grabbing it again - I've updated it with the 16 Tempest Tubes boards and also another 16 tubes I created (look for Tempest 2000 inspired levels)

Press 'T' during level select to switch between the different tube sets - or play through all 96 levels and loop around to the next set!

Let me know if there are any changes I could make to improve the gameplay.

Mark

Genexi2(Posted 2005) [#16]
Let me know if there are any changes I could make to improve the gameplay.

Aside from the fact it runs so smooth is makes me sick inside, the only things I think could be fixed/changed are :

1) The "zoom" sound that plays when you finish a round completes before the ship finished moving down the level

2) The "Supperzapper Recharged" msg should appear as the next map zooms in, not have a screen to itself for a second, I believe that's how it worked in the original worked

Other then that, very nice job, was surprised how nice and smooth the game looked, it was as if it was rendered in Flash.

Couple things I'm unsure about since I could never get past lvl12 in the original :

1) The tops of walls the later levels disappear when one of those weird "W" shaped things ride up them.

2) Lvl65-79 have invisible walls?

Mark1nc(Posted 2005) [#17]

Aside from the fact it runs so smooth is makes me sick inside, the only things I think could be fixed/changed are :

1) The "zoom" sound that plays when you finish a round completes before the ship finished moving down the level

2) The "Supperzapper Recharged" msg should appear as the next map zooms in, not have a screen to itself for a second, I believe that's how it worked in the original worked

Other then that, very nice job, was surprised how nice and smooth the game looked, it was as if it was rendered in Flash.

Couple things I'm unsure about since I could never get past lvl12 in the original :

1) The tops of walls the later levels disappear when one of those weird "W" shaped things ride up them.

2) Lvl65-79 have invisible walls?

Thanks for the comments Genexi2

I'll try to get the sound syched up and the message display overlap in the next patch release.

The /\/\/ shaped things are pulsars - they short-circuit the edge on the tube and when they pulse - they fry your claw.
They come in at level 17.
I have all the level colours in there (even invisible) - you can start at any level you want - just keep pressing RIGHT.

Genexi2(Posted 2005) [#18]
Also just noticed that when you get a Game-Over, then start a new game, the zoom-in sound plays after you choose the map from menu when it shouldnt.

[EDIT] On further notice, when you start the EXE fresh and choose a map, you see the camera fly to the map, where-as when you start a new game after having played one, the camera is already in place.

[EDIT2] Should also mention that I have now learned never to run full-screen OpenGL apps with a windowed DirectX app running...